Author Topic: Let him go? or Kill him?  (Read 3623 times)

Offline Roundeye

• Nickel Member
Re: Let him go? or Kill him?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2009, 09:20:25 AM »
Oh, I think real life applies a little bit, in so far as I doubt that a real plane could fly so well missing half a wing like they do here when you drop flaps. :devil

One of my books has a pic of a TBF/TBM with 1/2 of it's wing missing and it's flying along just fine.  The acft was destroyed/scrapped when it got back, but it did make it back to the fleet.  If I find it soon, I'll post it.

Grumman products are tough in RL and rightfully so in this game as well.  I've flown many F4F/FM2 and F6F acft with half a wing all the way home and landed scalps no problem. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 09:22:59 AM by Roundeye »
"Rotorhed"

Offline chewiex

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2009, 09:39:18 AM »
 :furious  KILL THEM ALL, LET HTC SORT THEM OUT. :devil

No one has ever let me RTB with flyable damage. I'm not even a BnZ'r or 'Picker may HO a few, but ya gotta get paid somehow. :D

:salute
A8Chustr (Formerly A8Chewey, DasChewy) ..for a wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven. Such is the rule of honor. Lamb of God, Omerta from "Ashes of the Wake".

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2009, 09:45:17 AM »
If there are more cons in the area, I would move on to the next one and let him go.  If it was just me and him, I would try to finish him.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2009, 09:46:57 AM »
If he put up a nice fight, let him go. If all he did was HO and try to RAM, kill him.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2009, 10:49:22 AM »
One of my books has a pic of a TBF/TBM with 1/2 of it's wing missing and it's flying along just fine.  The acft was destroyed/scrapped when it got back, but it did make it back to the fleet.  If I find it soon, I'll post it.

See?  The exact problem is a lot us see one photograph and deduce that it stands for all examples.  What do you think the actual loss rate was for aircraft missing half a wing after combat?  I would wager more than 95%.  It's not the photo you see, it's the photos you don't see.

Grumman products are tough in RL and rightfully so in this game as well.  I've flown many F4F/FM2 and F6F acft with half a wing all the way home and landed scalps no problem. 

And therefore that's how it was in "real life." :lol
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Roundeye

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2009, 11:32:09 AM »
See?  The exact problem is a lot us see one photograph and deduce that it stands for all examples.  What do you think the actual loss rate was for aircraft missing half a wing after combat?  I would wager more than 95%.  It's not the photo you see, it's the photos you don't see.

And therefore that's how it was in "real life." :lol

If you are going to use one of my posts as an example, please read it, not INTO it sir.

1.  The photo shows that it is POSSIBLE, nowhere does it say (nor do I) that it is the norm.

2.  I simply said that Grumman products were tough.  Nowhere did I say they could all fly on one wing in real life.  Oddly enough though the one photo I have is a Grumman product.

:salute
"Rotorhed"

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2009, 11:52:17 AM »
Alright, maybe I went too far... I know that USN aircraft were built tough and saved the lives of many pilots, but I think we agree that AH is wildly optimistic in what you can do to bring home a damaged aircraft.  Sure, it happened now and then, but in our game it is the rule to bring home a plane with half a wing, not the exception.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2009, 11:59:20 AM »
The difference between AHII and R/L is that in R/L you could shoot of 3/8s or 9/16s or 25/32s of a wing, etc and so forth. (God I love the Standard English measure system!) Or anywhere in between, so saying some aircraft landed with part of a wing shot off is not nessecarily very informative. Myself, I think the idea of flying with straight-up 1/2 of your wing gone like we can in AHII strains believability.

Alright, maybe I went too far... I know that USN aircraft were built tough and saved the lives of many pilots, but I think we agree that AH is wildly optimistic in what you can do to bring home a damaged aircraft.  Sure, it happened now and then, but in our game it is the rule to bring home a plane with half a wing, not the exception.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:22:10 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2009, 12:06:16 PM »
Don't forget the uber-l33t clipped-wing C-47!  I don't know why HTC hasn't perked it yet. :P
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2009, 12:27:37 PM »
kill him then kill his chute so he cant ck6 his friends :aok
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2009, 12:50:27 PM »
When you shoot a half wing of the enemy aircraft what do you do? Let him go or finish him? Both in real life and AHII.

The reason why i'm asking this is because i really don't know what is the right thing to do.
In Real Life: From one point of view he is defenseless and it is really not right to just kill someone that can't do a thing about it. From the other point of view, that is your enemy, and if you don't kill him now he will come back and kill you.
In Aces High: For some reason i still don't feel right shooting down defenseless planes even though in real life it would not hurt the guy controlling it. How ever if you do shot him down he will come back faster, and if you don't it will take him time to RTB and get back.

The way I've always done it is if the guy put up a good fight and I cripple him, I'll let him ditch it.  If he annoyed the crap out of me, I'll kill him.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2009, 01:26:06 PM »
Kill him.

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2009, 01:36:25 PM »
one wing landing..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11TGTERa_2k
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2009, 02:48:33 PM »
When you shoot a half wing of the enemy aircraft what do you do? Let him go or finish him? Both in real life and AHII.

The reason why i'm asking this is because i really don't know what is the right thing to do.
In Real Life: From one point of view he is defenseless and it is really not right to just kill someone that can't do a thing about it. From the other point of view, that is your enemy, and if you don't kill him now he will come back and kill you.
In Aces High: For some reason i still don't feel right shooting down defenseless planes even though in real life it would not hurt the guy controlling it. How ever if you do shot him down he will come back faster, and if you don't it will take him time to RTB and get back.

i've had guys let me go(guppy, and other of the SAPP'rs), and i've hd guys shoot more things off of me. either way' it's good
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2009, 03:18:27 PM »
Most of the time I would just kill them but sometimes the guy levels off and starts to head to his base. When they do that and if there are no enemies around I fly along side them for a while then rock my wings a few times and go along with my sortie.

i've had guys let me go(guppy, and other of the SAPP'rs), and i've hd guys shoot more things off of me. either way' it's good

If I know who it is and if we are alone I sometimes try to get real close and shoot his other wingtip off to even him out.  :D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 03:20:11 PM by Larry »
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grnherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner