Author Topic: Trying something new this tour  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Trying something new this tour
« on: April 01, 2009, 10:31:37 PM »
As you all know, I love my Hurri 1.  It was the 303rd aircraft during the BoB.  A battle in which they succeeding exponentially in revenge for what the Nazis did to their homeland, Poland. 

As a salute to the real life 303rd Sqd, and to represent them in game, I will only be flying the fighters flown by the actual 303 squadron throughout WW2.  These aircraft would be the Hurri 1, Spit 1, 5, and 9.  They also flew the Pony, but I'm leaving that off the list :).

Of course, when I get bored I will GV and fly bombers, but during a furball, defense, etc. I will only fly the above fighters.

#S#

Banshee7
Tours 86 - 296

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: Trying something new this tour
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:39:37 PM »
enjoy the spitfires, your going to love them  :aok :aok :aok
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 12:16:02 AM »
Have fun! Hope you don't get bored.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 05:50:34 AM »
Spit1 is a fun plane.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 07:37:14 AM »
Spit1 is a fun plane.
I onlys likes da plains that go ubber fass like warp speed :)
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 08:09:32 AM »
Just be prepared to be frustrated after the first few sorties.  It always amazes me how many people run from the Hurri and Spit 1.  

Some Hurri 1 pointers that I'd like to share;
1.  You're not going to be able to run if you get into a tough fight.  Come with friends and when the time comes to leave, you bug out first.
2.  Bring your convergence in.  Way in.  I've got mine set at 175 yd.  If your starting out, try 200 yd.  At 175, it looks like the enemy is in the cockpit with you.
3.  Watch you ammo counter.  You may have 2664 rounds of .303 ammo, but if you "spray and pray", you're not going to shoot anything down.
4.  Be patient with your shot.  The .303 round has a nasty drop.  Get on the enemy's 6 and go for the tail rudder.  
5.  Watch out for stalls.  I sure you're aware that the Spit 1 and Hurri 1 have carburetors.  Negative G's and there goes your airspeed.  If your engine is out    
     too long, it wont come back on automatically.  Dive for the deck to gain speed and turn your engine back on manually.  
6.  Plenty of fuel.  Don't overload your ride with fuel.  Too much fuel and the Hurri becomes a fat pregnant goose with a neon sign that says "shoot me".
7.  Watch your SA (situational awareness).  It will always feel like you're flying the Hurri defensively.  Not a bad thing.  The greatest attribute the Hurri has is
     it's ability to flat turn and get inside any enemy that is foolish enough to slow down with you.  Slowing the enemy down is the key.  When they get
     frustrated, they always seem more determined to shoot you down.  That's when you've got them.
8.  Have fun and don't get discouraged.  The Hurri can't take a lot of damage.  Remember to have those life saving wingmen.

The last tour, I didn't fly the Hurri 1.  The previous tours I did.  If I have a chance today, I'll go through my films and post some "interesting" Hurri 1 films.  IMO, the Spit 9 is my favorite ride.  (With the PFT skin of course.)  Good luck! :aok

Obie

I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 08:31:28 AM »
Yeah, what Obie said.  I've been flying the Hurri-1 for the last 3-4 tours and have had nothing but fun with it.  Was frustrating at first because it's so slow, but is a blast to fly - I love TnB furballs.  I've got lots of films, and want to make a Hurri-1 movie sort of like the SpitV movie I did a while back...maybe soon.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 08:35:14 AM »
The best place to fly a Hurri I is a battle with enemy CV close to your shore. Here, your lousy top speed won't hurt you that much with all the low & slow dogfights.

In other combat situations, you worst enemy are often your own teammates using their superior speed to clear your 12...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 09:51:43 AM »

In other combat situations, you worst enemy are often your own teammates using their superior speed to clear your 12...

Really? 'Cause I often run some fast brick of a plane down and force it to turn with speed, only to have a horde of cannon-spewing t'n'b planes start "helping" me with that plane on my 12, once I've caught the damn thing for them. So it works both ways. :devil Thank goodness for killshooter, I *will* maneuver to fly through the tracers of a green guy shooting over my shoulder if the mood strikes me.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 09:54:50 AM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 09:55:20 AM »
Really?

Really.

The slow speed and lack of insta-kill capacity in a Hurri I makes you much, much more often a vicitm then a culprit.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 10:06:25 AM »
Really.

The slow speed and lack of insta-kill capacity in a Hurri I makes you much, much more often a vicitm then a culprit.

Then may I suggest you campaign with me for the addition of the Hurricane Mk.IIC. With 12 .303s, alot better chance to put a golden BB through the creamy chocolate center. :devil
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 10:09:09 AM »
Then may I suggest you campaign with me for the addition of the Hurricane Mk.IIC. With 12 .303s, alot better chance to put a golden BB through the creamy chocolate center. :devil

I'd rather vote for a Spit VA with 8 .303s ;)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 10:14:03 AM »
I've been flying the Spit IX because it's my Tunisia ride; good luck trying to extend away from the horde if you need to. :lol
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 10:24:44 AM »
I have experience in all the planes I listed (look at my Hurri 1 stats from 109).  Last night was only the 5th time I've died in a hurri 1 in like the past three tours.  And that's around 20+ sorties or so.  I fly the spit series as well, just not the spit 1.

Landed 4 kills the next sortie though  :t  (7 kills landed in a Hurri 1 with no rearms or proxies is my personal best..gonna try to break that)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 10:38:18 AM by Banshee7 »
Tours 86 - 296

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 10:39:55 AM »
This sounds fun Banshee.  I wish you luck.  My attention span is way too short to keep with a similar plan for myself through a whole tour!

:salute

CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!