Author Topic: First flying lesson today  (Read 771 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Re: First flying lesson today
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 02:16:38 PM »
I'm training with a school at John Wayne Airport, Orange County CA. There's a steady stream of commercial flights in and out, plus its only 40 miles south of LAX, 25 miles south of Long Beach.

I did consider training somewhere quieter, but the argument goes that if you can do it here, you can do it anywhere

I have to agree with your decision. It's a lot easier to be doing all of the high-traffic work from the beginning so it is programmed into you, than to have to just jump into it on your own later on.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 02:45:04 PM »
they don['t do that anymore

My students did if they wanted a signoff for a practical test.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 03:18:58 PM »
...if you can do it here, you can do it anywhere

Absolutely agree.  UNICOM procedures are simple in comparison.  Doing all your training flights, and later on, your solo flights under the SOCAL Approach umbrella will make you a better pilot in the future.  Plus, you're in one of the best places to fly GA with tons of airports and probably the highest density of $50 cheeseburgers in the country.  The Mexican restaurant at Montgomery Field is worth repacking the wheel bearings in my opinion.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline AKHog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 03:40:39 PM »
they don['t do that anymore

Sure they do, its just not required for the private (spin sign offs are required for CFI).

I think its an important thing to experience and learn about. If an instructor is afraid or unwilling to show me spins I'd be afraid and unwilling to fly with them. IMHO it should be a part of basic training for the private and shouldn't be looked at as something deadly or scary, they are actually pretty fun.
The journey is the destination.

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 05:22:36 PM »
Spins are a necessary part of the training program for private up here in Canada.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 05:42:10 PM »
Sure they do, its just not required for the private (spin sign offs are required for CFI).

I think its an important thing to experience and learn about. If an instructor is afraid or unwilling to show me spins I'd be afraid and unwilling to fly with them. IMHO it should be a part of basic training for the private and shouldn't be looked at as something deadly or scary, they are actually pretty fun.

Did spin training before my Glider ticket. Nearly pissed myself the first time. Ever since though, I've been tempted to give it a go. They're really quite fun!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 05:56:02 PM »
My students did if they wanted a signoff for a practical test.

i didn't know that.....my cfi had told me that it was only done when going for your teaching endorsment?
 he had done power on and power off stalls with me. maybe i;ll talk to my current cfi, since i;m going to check out in the clubs pipers, and gt him to do them with me.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Casca

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 07:13:58 PM »
Agree with Golfer.  I had my students spin even for a private practical even though it's not required.  Even if a student is throughly prepped for them in theory they can be so disorienting the first time or two that recovery could be a problem for them if they were solo.

They were required for private certification in the 50s and at some point spin proficiency was dropped in favor of spin awareness.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 07:15:32 PM by Casca »
I'm Casca and I approved this message.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 08:35:09 PM »
i didn't know that.....my cfi had told me that it was only done when going for your teaching endorsment?
 he had done power on and power off stalls with me. maybe i;ll talk to my current cfi, since i;m going to check out in the clubs pipers, and gt him to do them with me.

<<S>>

I just gave a guy a BFR in his Yak-52TW (Tail Wheel) in exchange for a checkout.  That's what you need to wring out  :)

It's not required by regulation but I did spins for anyone who wanted an endorsement from me.  Usually ended up doing an hours worth of spins because once you got over the "fear" of the unknown they are fun.  I've known CFIs who were apprehensive about teaching spins more than doing them so an hour or so of talking your way through some usually gave them the confidence they needed as well.  I think more guys have died by not doing spins than by taking them away from the required training syllabus.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 08:37:47 PM by Golfer »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 10:24:08 PM »
I just gave a guy a BFR in his Yak-52TW (Tail Wheel) in exchange for a checkout.  That's what you need to wring out  :)

It's not required by regulation but I did spins for anyone who wanted an endorsement from me.  Usually ended up doing an hours worth of spins because once you got over the "fear" of the unknown they are fun.  I've known CFIs who were apprehensive about teaching spins more than doing them so an hour or so of talking your way through some usually gave them the confidence they needed as well.  I think more guys have died by not doing spins than by taking them away from the required training syllabus.

well, as dumb as this is going to sound......i've kind of wanted to learn to do them....just to see what it feels like, but i've been afraid to ask my cfi. the one i fly with now, i know isn't afraid of them, as i do believe my primary cfi was. i also thought you had to go to a school that specialized in "upset" training, i think it's called?

anyway, i'll be talking to bob on tuesday, and i'm going to see if spins are approved in our club pipers.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 11:57:32 AM »
The school I'm going with state on their literature they make a point of teaching everyone spins. I'll keep a change of underwear on hand for that.

One of the options I've got to figure out pretty soon is what aircraft to train on. The options basically boil down to a Citabria or Diamond DA-20.

The Diamond is definitely more modern etc, but I'm hearing its not a bad idea to learn in a tail dragger. There's obviously a few people with experience in these matter on here so any opinions would be welcomed.

Cheers,
Wooley.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 12:00:48 PM »
The school I'm going with state on their literature they make a point of teaching everyone spins. I'll keep a change of underwear on hand for that.

One of the options I've got to figure out pretty soon is what aircraft to train on. The options basically boil down to a Citabria or Diamond DA-20.

The Diamond is definitely more modern etc, but I'm hearing its not a bad idea to learn in a tail dragger. There's obviously a few people with experience in these matter on here so any opinions would be welcomed.

Cheers,
Wooley.

If I had the opportunity to take my private lessons in a Citabria, I'd be all over it.  Getting a solid foundation in landing in a tail dragger, and the stick and rudder skills required to do so, will make you a better pilot.  My opinion.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 01:42:27 PM »

Cheers,
Wooley.

i flew our clubs da20 a coule times.....with a cfi, as i'm not checked out in it. it's an absolutely cool aircraft!
a buddy of mine has a super decathalon. THAT aircraft is fun!!
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 03:39:56 AM »
No need for the change of underwear. It's always more scary in the anticipation than the reality. I quite enjoy spins and after you've done quite a few it's amazing how relaxed the conversation is, as your world goes round and round. If they are teaching spins hopefully most of the time will be spent on how to avoid them.