Author Topic: More Ponies !  (Read 4922 times)

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
More Ponies !
« on: April 08, 2009, 05:46:02 AM »
Although I'm not a huge fan of the P-51 personally (though she's beautiful) I have often thought about why we don't have more versions of it. Why don't we have more versions of it, really?

The P-51 was a very important aircraft in the European theater, and one of the great aviation icons of WWII, just like the Spitfire and Messerschmitt, or perhaps even more so than those two. We have several versions of the 109G which differ only in armament and engine performance, and the only real difference between the Spit V, IX and XVI is the engine and armament. We also have several versions of the Jug and the Hog. I find it strange that we don't have more Ponies; sure we have the B-Pony and the D-Pony, but that doesn't really cover the performance changes from 1943 to 1945.

I propose the following versions be implemented:

1943 P-51B/C with the birdcage canopy and the -3 engine
1944-early P-51B/C with the Malcolm canopy and -7 engine, optional six-gun package
1944-early P-51D/K with -7 engine
1944-late P-51B/C with -7 engine and 150 octane avgas, optional six-gun package
1944-late P-51D/K with -7 engine and 150 octane avgas

Maybe a 1945 P-51D/K with -9 engine and Simmons automatic boost control and water injection just for fun? ;)

The 1944-late and 1945 versions might have to be perked, but that's perfectly all-right. More goodies to spend perks on!

Anyone else have the same thoughts on this subject?
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: More Ponies !
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 06:52:31 AM »
Bung in the A-36 as well.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 08:00:53 AM »
The P-51 was a very important aircraft in the European theater, and one of the great aviation icons of WWII, just like the Spitfire and Messerschmitt, or perhaps even more so than those two.
An aircraft that served for a year and half in the ETO is more important than two that served nearly 5 years?

We have several versions of the 109G which differ only in armament and engine performance
:lol
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:05:30 AM »
Although I'm not a huge fan of the P-51 personally (though she's beautiful) I have often thought about why we don't have more versions of it. Why don't we have more versions of it, really?

The P-51 was a very important aircraft in the European theater, and one of the great aviation icons of WWII, just like the Spitfire and Messerschmitt, or perhaps even more so than those two. We have several versions of the 109G which differ only in armament and engine performance, and the only real difference between the Spit V, IX and XVI is the engine and armament. We also have several versions of the Jug and the Hog. I find it strange that we don't have more Ponies; sure we have the B-Pony and the D-Pony, but that doesn't really cover the performance changes from 1943 to 1945.

I propose the following versions be implemented:

1943 P-51B/C with the birdcage canopy and the -3 engine
1944-early P-51B/C with the Malcolm canopy and -7 engine, optional six-gun package
1944-early P-51D/K with -7 engine
1944-late P-51B/C with -7 engine and 150 octane avgas, optional six-gun package
1944-late P-51D/K with -7 engine and 150 octane avgas

Maybe a 1945 P-51D/K with -9 engine and Simmons automatic boost control and water injection just for fun? ;)

The 1944-late and 1945 versions might have to be perked, but that's perfectly all-right. More goodies to spend perks on!

Anyone else have the same thoughts on this subject?

Cool, more Runstangs to do just that!   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 08:09:46 AM »
An aircraft that served for a year and half in the ETO is more important than two that served nearly 5 years?

Perhaps not, but more iconic. At least in the US.

:lol

What's so funny about that? In AH the 109G-2 and G-6 only differ in armament. G-6 and G-14 only differ in armament and engine (DB 605AM).
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 08:11:40 AM »
Ok, two harsh replies in a row....

I agree that the P-51 was a great aircraft.  You don't need to hype it up or make light of the variety of 109s to ask for more versions of the P-51.

A P-51D with 150 octane fuel would probably be perked.  That extra power would mean more than just a faster Mustang. :t

-----------------

What's so funny about that? In AH the 109G-2 and G-6 only differ in armament. G-6 and G-14 only differ in armament and engine (DB 605AM).

How else should versions of any aircraft differ besides engine and armament? 

You also missed canopy differences, bullet-proof-glass headrest, tail-wheel retractability, oil-cooler size, main-wheel size, wheel-recess bulge size in the wings, cowl bulges for the MG 131, vertical stabilizer size...there might be more.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:16:19 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 08:18:47 AM »
Ok, two harsh replies in a row....

You don't need to hype it up or make light of the variety of 109s to ask for more versions of the P-51.

Make light? In Aces High what other performance changes than armament and engine are there in the Gustav series? There are just as many, if not more, minor and major changes between the P-47D-11 and the P-47D-40 as there are between the 109G-2 and G-14. Sure, there were minor structural changes, and instrument changes, but these do not affect game play.

-Gandhi

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 08:21:52 AM »
You also missed canopy differences, bullet-proof-glass headrest, tail-wheel retractability, oil-cooler size, main-wheel size, wheel-recess bulge size in the wings, cowl bulges for the MG 131, vertical stabilizer size...there might be more.

None of which affect game play in any way (except the Erla hood).

-Gandhi

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 08:22:54 AM »
Yes, but you make me laugh when you say "only differ armament and engine performance," as those are about the two most important factors for game play.

Also, to some of us AH isn't really for the arenas; many of us wouldn't have an account if it weren't for FSO, and substitutions are the bane of scenario play.  If anything we want more versions of the Gustav.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:24:47 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 08:33:50 AM »
Yes, but you make me laugh when you say "only differ armament and engine performance," as those are about the two most important factors for game play.

And that's the whole point: Beyond the changes made from the B to the D model the airframe of the P-51 did not change from 1943 to 1945 in any way that would affect game play much, however there were changes in engine power that would affect game play a lot. Giving the B a -7 engine for instance. Not to mention 150 octane fuel. The P-51's we have now are only representative for a 1943 and early-1944 Pony, contemporaries of the 109G-6 . We lack the 109G-14's and K-4's contemporary P-51's.

-Gandhi

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 08:40:13 AM »
Sure, I'm all for it.  I'll add it to the list of other easy-to-add variants that we'll likely never see. ;)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 08:53:20 AM »
We have several versions of the 109G which differ only in armament and engine performance...

I'm all in favor of any new aircraft, but for purposes of clarification, the differences between the 109G2, G6 and G14 span far wider than simply "engine and armament."

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 09:02:15 AM »
I'm all in favor of any new aircraft, but for purposes of clarification, the differences between the 109G2, G6 and G14 span far wider than simply "engine and armament."

Not in terms of Aces High game play they don't. We are discussing internet cartoon planes here, not the real thing. Get with the program already.

-Gandhi

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 09:05:09 AM »
Crap I couldn't throw the first rock.

In any case the pony already got his new model done so you'd have to wait for aces high III to get new versions.

Not in terms of Aces High game play they don't. We are discussing internet cartoon planes here, not the real thing. Get with the program already.

A Plane in real life and aces high isn't only defined by its engine power and its guns. IMO one good exemple is the F4U-1 VS F4U-1A. P47-D40 and P47-D25 is a good exemple too.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 09:13:39 AM »
I want a P51 with 20mm's.  :D
Strokes