Author Topic: "Noob Planes"  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: "Noob Planes"
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2009, 07:40:06 PM »
"Blaming the "noob" pilot for your own choice is really"

I dont think a single poster has said so. And no one seems to be complaining that the XVI's a noob plane. Just arguing that it is, in fact. The real fuel for argument is people who try and say it's not.

People can argue if the Spitfire Mk XVI is a noob plane or not until the cows come home and no one will ever agree whether it is or not.  My only point is looking down on experienced players that choose to fly the Mk XVI is rather silly and in my opinion usually done by those that just got their arse handed back to them by said experienced pilot in the Mk XVI.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2009, 07:58:26 PM »
It's not just the skillful players in the spit16, it's the fight that results from it if the other player is in most anything else, the purposeful choice to load the odds. Zero suspense. Look at it this way: the 262 zaps around uncontested.. but how well does it knife fight? The spit16 has a lot more than the 262, in its flipped-around ability distribution. It can compete in bnz; tho not really at very high speeds, but that's rarely a real liability.

I don't complain or resent losing to a well flown XVI. I do find it pointless most of the time, if it's a player that's been around for a while. The same way I think it's definitely pointless for the poor guy I could bnz in a 152 and leave nearly zero options but to get picked into the ground.  Very poor sportsmanship there, esp. if it's a 1:1 with no one else around.  There's fun gameplay and then there's 0%-fat competition.

Anyway.. the spit16 is a noob plane.  The best noob plane if there's such a thing.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2009, 08:16:46 PM »
Hitech made the game and the eny system reflects his opinions of what is easiest to compete in. For the most part anything under ENY 10 has some major advantage. The Chick16 is an easy plane but there are some others that are just as easy, imo.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2009, 08:36:15 PM »
None sum up to as much.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline comet61

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2009, 09:23:58 PM »
I fly the Ki-84 mostly. So many times people have called me out on being in my trainer ride and uber turner... this guy in a spit16 running away from me once, I called him out on 200 saying id give him my six... he replies "U think im gonna turn with a zeke dweeb???"

The Ki-84 is now my main ride. It took me awhile to find that "feel"  for the right plane. Don't care if it is a dweeb plane or not. I do not concern myself if I am up against a dweeb plane. I just don't see it that way. Any plane in the game can shoot me down just as good as the next. It's who's on the stick that matters. I can tell when I am up against a "real" dweeb pilot vs. a seasoned stick. In my opinion, the plane isn't the issue of "dweeb-ism", but who's in it. There are many sticks here that fly their plane of choice and rack up an impressive count of kills. For me, I see it as a skill that some people exhibit either good or bad. I cannot count how many times I have made the mistake of underestimating a "dweeb" plane and ending up in the tower very quickly or over-estimating a so-called non-dweeb plane and flying circles around it. It all depends on the who's on the stick. IMHO.

Comet61

666th Barbarians FG

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2009, 10:10:09 PM »
No such thing as a noob plane. The right tool for the right job is the best way to look at it.

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2009, 10:18:01 PM »
You got alittle noob on yah face. To left. No other left. Ahh you got it. :P
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2009, 10:49:39 PM »
No such thing as a noob plane. The right tool for the right job is the best way to look at it.
If a newbie asks you what the best plane to begin with is, you tell him there's no such thing? You don't think the spit16 is a prime candidate?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2009, 10:52:59 PM »
If a newbie asks you what the best plane to begin with is, you tell him there's no such thing? You don't think the spit16 is a prime candidate?
Well if we use the term newbie I would agree 100% with you. How ever the term noob ride has an entirely differant connotation to it within AHII.

Offline _vic_

• Copper Member
      • imagitronics.org
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2009, 11:15:09 PM »
I've got about 3-4 months of actual playtime under my belt now, and I'm still a dweebfire fan. It's just a fun little plane to fly. I didn't start out that way, before the last update I flew the Hellcat almost exclusively and after that I flew the LA5/7 for the biggest part of a tour. I try to fly Pony's and 190's on occasion, but it's just not my "style." I don't have the patience to extend and set it up, and nothing tests that patience worse than having a squirrelly little spit/n1k/109 make a hard break after you setup what you thought would be the perfect pass.

This tour I've "graduated" from the spit16 to the spit8, and I'll continue to fly that until I feel confident that my ACM/SA in it is up to par (I fly different planes for missions, but I'm always less comfortable)... Then I'll start to expand into some other rides... but at this point in my training/learning it just doesn't make sense to complicate matters with a plane that will leave me in wreckage any more than I already am. That will only serve to frustrate me and make the game less enjoyable.

Either way, the Spit will always have a special place in the hangar for me. It's just a fantastic plane.

Tim

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2009, 11:26:37 PM »
Just because the Lightning to me is a challenge to fly, doesn't mean it's not easy to fly.  

Heh.  The ackster makes a joke.  In my book the two hardest planes to learn to fly well are the 38 and the F4U (the FWs are hopeless).  Ack-ack is being overly modest.

- oldman

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2009, 12:51:46 AM »

Perhaps SpitXVI is not "the" candidate for a noob plane.

It seems to me the SpitXVI has little performance advantage and handles somewhat worse than say a SpitIX or HurricaneIIC etc. while going around in endless slow circles trying to hammer something in front of them in a furball, which is the typical newbie style. The SpitXVI's advantage is sparkling energy performance combined with a relatively light wing loading, plus an excellent roll rate. These seem like traits which take a little more experience to get the best out of.

OTOH, the SpitXVI is double-superior or nearly so relative so many types that easy kill opportunities for the newbie will show up with regularity, if he holds up his end of the deal adequately. By contrast, most planes that turn as well or better than the SpitXVI will be a lot easier to run away from, and most things as fast or faster won't turn nearly so well. So it is kind of a toss-up, between a Thoroughbred and a gentle old plug that won't throw you quite as often.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2009, 01:05:56 AM »
Heh.  The ackster makes a joke.  In my book the two hardest planes to learn to fly well are the 38 and the F4U (the FWs are hopeless).  Ack-ack is being overly modest.

- oldman

i don;t think he;'s being modest....i'd think it may be due to the fact that he has so  many hours in it, that he;s forgotten how hard it is. he's flown it so long, that things you or i may have to think about, he just does....

this isn;t meant as a put down.......i think it's just something that happens to us all over time.

it's happened to me with cars. i drive so many different cars, and trucks that i sometimes can;t fathom someone having trouble with an E350 cargo van. but that comes from the fact that i've driven everythign fron a 26k pound tow truck to a geo prism. i'm so used to these things, that i instinctivly move to check blind spots, etc. if the steering's a bit sloppy, i compensate, without even realizing i've done it. i think you get the point.

to akak, it's very easy. to the rest of us, it's not. someday, some of us may well be saying the same things he;s saying right now.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2009, 01:23:29 AM »
One thing that makes the P38 difficult to fly is how freakin big it is.  Timing is everything in reverses and you have to be that much more precise with the 38 so you don't get shot.

Offline VonShiza

• Zinc Member
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2009, 02:22:10 AM »
Just got my butt waxed in a KI-84...  Usually I'm good at those but tnite I suck!  Tried a 109G-6 and K-4 and got waxed too.  Bad nite I guess.  Did catch a Spit16 sleeping (AFK) at the wheel and took him down, so I guess that made up for it.
Buzzards Rule! / Squad Lead 510th Buzzards / Air Force SSgt 8 years / F-16 avionics technician