Author Topic: HE-177  (Read 1029 times)

Offline dragon40

• Zinc Member
HE-177
« on: April 11, 2009, 01:12:19 PM »
Since I’m doing a lot of dreaming today I thought I would ask if we could get a real German bomber. Seeing that we have almost all the allied bombers short of the b-29 which we aren’t getting any time soon if ever. Sense the HE-177 was the only production heavy bomber for the Germans it should be include but that’s just my opinion.   :pray :pray :pray

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: HE-177
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 01:18:52 PM »
Only if you model in random engine fires/explosions as part of it.

The He177 wasn't used much. It was a test bed for a lot of flying bombs and such, but what we really need are earlier bombers, and more common ones. Like Ju188s, or even Ju388s.

Just because it's the only "heavy" bomber doesn't mean it's needed. The soviet union only had 1 or 2 "heavy" bombers but were rarely used and produced in minimal numbers.

Oh, and FYI the Ju88 carries the same amount of ord in-game as the B17G does. How's that for "heavy"?

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 01:20:34 PM »
Do-217 would be a better choice for a German bomber. :aok
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline dragon40

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 01:38:29 PM »
I totally agree that it had a lot of problems that the Germans didn’t spend the time to iron out before it was too late. How ever the guns ordnance lay out speed rang and altitude makes it the only real competitor with the b-29. As far as the ju-88 it was extremely ineffective in rang speed and fire power. But modeling bombers appropriately doesn’t seem to be a concern seeing that just about every bomber that ups is a set of lances and that was the most unsurvivable bomber of the war. Yet in the game they have become very hard to kill even to the extent of making kill shots from the tail gun at 1k. Which was unheard of even for 24’s and 17’s with big 50’s out the tail.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 01:52:43 PM by dragon40 »

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 02:53:51 PM »
No i think it should stay the same, that was i can keep killing Ju88's instead of some buff w/ 20mm's. :rock
Strokes

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 05:03:08 PM »
Only if you model in random engine fires/explosions as part of it.

This is the second time in a week I've seen thius type of statement come into a wish list thread.
If you're going to demand things of this nature to be modeled, why not make the same demands of aircraft in the game already like the ME-163?

Just curious...

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 07:08:13 PM »
Compared to the 177, the 163 was quite refined and reliable!

2 engines side by side sharing a common gearbox to spin a prop, no government keeping one from going faster than the other. These things were a bad design from the get-go.

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 08:12:41 PM »
The 177 has been suggested in several past threads. It certainly saw more use than say, the Wirbel did, so there's ample justification to add it. Frankly, I'd like to see it, but not being able to model in the terrible engine/gearbox reliability would be a major crutch for the plane. Maybe HTC could just have it fly around permanently on fire like Zekes.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 10:07:06 PM »
I found this 95% of the Me 163 loses were due to landing accidents or fires in the air. 

Here http://www.wwiivehicles.com/germany/aircraft/losses.asp

This bird was a bigger danger to it's pilots than it was to enemy. Again if we're going to get concerned with issue like reliability
the best place to start IMO would be the ME-163. YMMV.

<S>

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 10:27:38 PM »
I found this 95% of the Me 163 loses were due to landing accidents or fires in the air. 

Here http://www.wwiivehicles.com/germany/aircraft/losses.asp

This bird was a bigger danger to it's pilots than it was to enemy. Again if we're going to get concerned with issue like reliability
the best place to start IMO would be the ME-163. YMMV.

<S>
My favorite part of the 163 program was the special truck intended to flip the plane back upright before the fuel exploded or simple "dissolved" the pilot. :uhoh
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline dragon40

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 04:27:33 AM »
Cthulhu hit the nail on the head. Every time you try and take a base any more all you see out is wirbles. And quit frankly this is such a miss representation of historical accuracy. And even more if HTC is going to model reliability issues starting with the tiger tanks mechanical problems would be on my list fallowed by the Sherman’s weak armor and tendency to explode due to being regular gasoline powered in the early version. The only rezone the wirble is even in the game is to reduce vulching. Although the majority or the German air power was destroyed on the ground but historical accuracy doesn’t seam to be an issue either.

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
Compared to the 177, the 163 was quite refined and reliable!

2 engines side by side sharing a common gearbox to spin a prop, no government keeping one from going faster than the other. These things were a bad design from the get-go.
Why would you need a governor? How exactly could one engine go faster than the other? The gearbox handled that. Possibly different torques due to unequal boost yes (again no biggie), but RPM's would be identical.

The problem was chronic overheating of the drivetrain coupled with endless oil leaks.

Offline slimmer

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 02:00:32 PM »
  :pray  :O  :aok
Member: Hot Soup Mafia -chokin chickin noodle
 Army of Muppets

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 02:55:09 PM »
Don't bring up wirbles. They've been discussed ad nauseum. They fire over 2x as fast as they ever could historically, and the turret spins/aims about 3x or more faster than ever could historically.

The thing is a farce in this game, and deserves a 70-point perk price.

Offline sethipus

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 03:25:15 PM »
The wirble is just fine.  It offers ground forces a modicum of protection, and that was badly needed.  There's nothing worse than being in a good GV battle and some arsewipes show up in IL-2s and A-20s and just bomb everything.  And this still happens anyway since the IL-2 got the twin 37mm guns and became an holy terror to tanks.  Still, the wirble offers a sufficiently motivated and organized ground force a chance.  It's good for the game as-is.

Unless you're an IL-2 or A-20 dweeb who is just mourning the loss of your the ability to pound attacking tank forces into the ground more or less at will, with the Ostwinds and M-16s unable to offer sufficient deterrence.  Then, I suppose, the wirble is just awful.

But we're hijacking a thread on the HE-177.

Sure, bring it on.  But on any list of bomber priorities, the HE-111 and some others really would have to be higher up than the HE-177.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 03:27:37 PM by sethipus »