Author Topic: Learning to HO  (Read 1279 times)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Learning to HO
« on: April 12, 2009, 05:12:52 AM »
Not an easy thing....but becoming necessary. Don't care anymore ...willing to try.

Very good at avoiding but have no experience in the actual act.

TIPS?

Offline The Fury

• Silver Member
Re: Learning to HO
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 05:20:42 AM »
 :rofl  Im the same im ok at avoiding the HO but if i ever decide to take a HO shot im generally really rubbish and im kinda glad as it means i wont do it, usually ends in death for me.

Im not sure i would dedicate any of my time to learn how to HO tho  :lol
The Few
England    www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
The Few  (Tour 77)                                                                                            Currently Flying as Fury

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 05:39:53 AM »
I see a trend in all your recent BBS postings.

Seriously, maybe taking a break will help you. Smells like a beginning burnout... been there, done that.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline helbent

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 08:54:13 AM »
This reminds me of an old Warbird players' signature (i forget who it was)

"Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 09:20:58 AM by helbent »
Creator and original CO of the now HiJacked Squad -=Hell Hounds=-
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Avator by fugi.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 09:05:37 AM »
I'm painting the kids room today and may work on my hotrod ford afterwards. No cartoons for me this weekend  :aok
Lighten up Francis

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 09:43:33 AM »
Not an easy thing....but becoming necessary. Don't care anymore ...willing to try.

TIPS?

hmmmm lets see, going from a "Tool" to a loser.... seems like a step up to me! Good Luck !   :D

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 11:15:19 AM »
Tips?

Learning to HO is basically the opposite of learning pretty much anything else in the game. 

All you need to do is point your guns at the other guy and shoot, regardless of which direction he's flying, and with no regard to the success of your manuever.  If you care about living through it, you'll never be truly successful at the HO...

That's what makes it the opposite of pretty much every other facet of the game.  Almost every other facet includes living through it to consider it successful.  Imagine how easy it would be to learn to land if you considered exploding on or near the runway as equally "successful" as rolling to a controlled stop where you intended to.  With learning to HO, your long-term average "success" won't be over 50-50.  So, essentially, dying while attempting it is just as much a success as not dying, and in many ways perfecting the HO could be seen as a "failure".

Don't get me wrong though- I see the HO as a legitimate tactic, and I'm glad we have it, and I believe it's directly responsible for the overall "quality" of the "good" fights that we do see. 

That's because it's the most basic, simplist, most "instinctive", and obvious way to fight.  It's so predictable it's ridiculous.  And that predictability makes it easy to defeat for anyone who deserves to consider themselves a "fighter" pilot.  Getting hit by an HO is a very fair "penalty" for shabby tactics.  Without that penalty as a possibility we could be much more successful with less-refined tactics.  Anything other than the HO requires more advanced thought, use of space, speed, angles, plane type, control surfaces, throttle, gunnery, SA etc...  Sure, getting hit by an HO while you're getting swarmed by multiples can be impossible to avoid, but in 1 v 1's it can almost always avoided with very little effort.

It's almost like flying/fighting good, is more difficult than flying /fighting poorly.  Hmmm, maybe that's the way it should be?

So, you're asking for tips on how to fly/fight less skillfully?  Let me see if this is an accurate analogy- A ten year old is mad that he can't compete with the high school track and field stars, and that he keeps getting bumped off balance by the two year olds crawling around on the playground.  So now he's gonna pout, drop to his knees, and start crawling again?  And he wants some pointers on how he can do better at something the little kids were able to figure out on their own?  He thinks he'll be more successful as a "crawler" than he would be if he applied his efforts to becoming a track star?
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 11:18:48 AM »

TIPS?

Or maybe I'm reading this wrong.

You say you can avoid getting hit by it with no problem.  But you think you need to learn to do it better?  What would be the point?  Easier gunnery?
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 12:07:14 PM »
Look me up TOOL I got special skillz in this department. ;)
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 12:09:32 PM »
I'm painting the kids room today and may work on my hotrod ford afterwards. No cartoons for me this weekend  :aok
We all know you're sitting in your lounge chair, watching TV,and eating jelly beans. :t
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 02:51:39 PM »
"Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

:rofl
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 03:03:20 PM »
Back in the old days we had this thing called SA.  It was the acronym for Situational Awareness

The implementation of Situational Awareness requires the combatant to have acute knowledge of enemy status in all quadrants of his position ABOVE, BELOW, BEHIND and in FRONT.

"Some" people that believe shooting you're foe when he is pointing his guns at you is somehow cheezy or bad gameplay........to me that's just an excuse for poor Situational Awareness.

"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 03:16:40 PM »
Back in the old days we had this thing called SA.  It was the acronym for Situational Awareness

The implementation of Situational Awareness requires the combatant to have acute knowledge of enemy status in all quadrants of his position ABOVE, BELOW, BEHIND and in FRONT.

Bad SA.

"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 03:19:07 PM »
Lol, bad SA if you are the Hawk   ;)

The blackbird has achieved the ultimate in SA.  Be the Blackbird!
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 03:22:40 PM »

"Some" people that believe shooting you're foe when he is pointing his guns at you is somehow cheezy or bad gameplay.......

Cheezy? Nah, how about suicidal, unless for some strange reason the opponent has you in his sights, yet does not HO you back?

Here is why HO'ing is frowned upon: If everybody did it, all the time, 90% of fights starting out from a neutral position would result in one plane destroyed and the other plane destroyed or too badly damaged to continue.

But, Tool is right in that there are situations where it cannot be avoided. In those cases, brace yourself, shoot well, and try to avoid the collide. You do this because whether or not you survive, it needs to end badly for them as well. You need to hand out an abject lesson, as opposed to allowing their behavior to net them a free kill.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."