Author Topic: Love the game but...  (Read 1419 times)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Re: Love the game but...
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 12:48:23 PM »
I'm running on a system that's roughly seven years old.  It was pretty good when I had a relative build it, but it wasn't top of the line even back then.

I howls, grunts, clanks, refuses to burn anything CD-DVD-wise- but it plays the game fine, and I certainly don't feel like cannon-fodder.  Sometimes it smells funny (unless that's me?).

It's high on my wanna-replace list, but low on my have-money-to-toss-at-it list.  It's also tried to keel over and just plain die on me a few times, but I've been able to toss some duct-tape and band-aids in there, and she's still breathin'.

The basics-
2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP (Processor)
1024 Megabytes Installed Memory
Board: nVidia-nForce
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE (Omega 1.6177)
Creative SB Audigy

Now, last time it threw a tantrum, I ended up taking my back-up HD and made it into my Primary HD.  When I did that I partitioned it so I could turn off all the bells and whistles in the partitioned area, which is only used for playing AH.  I don't think I could play if I didn't reduce the amount of processes sapping my resources.  Before I did that (the partition), I went in and created a seperate Start-Up Profile doing basically the same thing, with basically the same results game-wise.  That worked fine for me for about 5 years.

Maybe your system isn't too terribly bad- maybe that's not really the issue...  If it was an inexpensive ystem 6 years ago, it may be.  I don't think we can judge it by age alone.

I'm getting about 70 Frames Per Second just flying around.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 01:23:21 PM »
Please explain why.  I find it rather important to know you opponent's plane and the abilities.  Not only that but his alt, e-state, and other factors that you put into consideration on what you do next.  I admire you and your piloting skills in this game but you have become a condescending jerk with little to add.  Fine disagree with me i am OK with that then help this person instead of attacking me.  I offered something you did not other than a lame BnZ-run type attack.  When I first started it was my lack of knowledge of the flight model that help me back more than anything.

Re-read the post I was commenting on and then read my reply again and this time try and pay a little more attention to what I wrote instead of trying to pathetically flame me. 

One pointer:  It's better to know your opponents plane than your own.
<S> DuHasst

Now, tell me "Ace", do you think it's better to know the opponent's plane better than the plane you're flying? 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 06:16:54 PM »
As someone who just went from a 7 year old computer to a new state of the art gaming rig I can tell you it makes an enormous difference. Stuff I thought was the enemy plane stirring or warping on my old computer my new computer now sees as predictable and purposeful maneuvering, which of course make them much easier to fight and shoot down. I no longer get the slide show, or micro-warps in a crowd because my CPU hiccups or my video card lags during real-time rendering. I have no doubt that once I get the 3 months of rust off I will be twice as effective simply because of my new hardware which grants me max FRs all the time, everytime, anywhere and everywhere...

« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 06:19:32 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 09:19:14 PM »
Sure a nice system can give you an edge, but in my opinion, working with an experienced pilot and learning how to fight effectively is waaaaaaaay waaaaaaay more important then how fast your video card is...

Of course, I guess it is possible to have a computer so slow that the game is practically unplayable.

like mine lol that's why i closed out account maybe i,ll be back sooon so watch out guys  :rock :D lol
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 08:33:45 AM »
Re-read the post I was commenting on and then read my reply again and this time try and pay a little more attention to what I wrote instead of trying to pathetically flame me. 

Now, tell me "Ace", do you think it's better to know the opponent's plane better than the plane you're flying? 

ack-ack

Well let me explain the deeper meaning of my pointer:  When I first started flying fighters i mainly flew the Spit8.  For the most part I was a complete idiot about most of the other planes in the set and that hurt my overall SA/ability to make good kills.  I didn't know 109's compress somewhat easily, same for p38's.  I didn't understand how that low slow F4u was staying out of my guns...uber flappen.  So I guess my jest of the pointer was go offline and fly everyplane in the set put it through it's paces like a test pilots would.  Make notes (or mental notes) on it's abilities.  You can read about real life experiances with said aircraft but the flight model in game is not 100% but very close from what I understand.  My pointer was a bit in general but I was working under the thought that you have a good idea of what the plane you flying can/can't do.

Flying with a trainer or finding someone willing to help in the DA (stay away from DA lake) is a good first step.

Newmac if you see me on I would be willing to head to the DA/TA but I can show you everything I know in 5 min. :lol  :rock 
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 01:31:45 PM »
Just don't get discouraged.  :aok
Strokes

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 07:42:33 PM »
I dont think your computer makes much difference...to the extent you have one that is atleast the min requirments to run the game and you have a relativly descent connection.

There are MANY ace players on this game who fly with crappy 20$ sticks and use the keyboard for views.

ITs the 80/20 rule.

80% of winning is your own BRAIN.....20% is your equipment.

Offline newmac

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 10:21:40 PM »
Thanks everyone for your kind advice and encouragement!...i haven't paid up yet but certaintly intend to do so!!
Been practising offline a lot to become more familiar with my rig...for some reason, I really like the P-38.
I also really wanted to see how the comments would come to a newb and am impressed with the attitudes included in those comments.
It was even nice to see some competitive spirit(even a little dislike) among the commentators because after all.. This Is WAR!
Become discouraged...don't think so. During my freebie period I think I had my bellybutton flamed more times than you can shake a stick at, but loved every minute of it.
I even wasted a couple of you bastards!!! AWWWWWEEEEESSSOOOMMMEEE!!!
Anyway...see you in the fields of combat soon and just let everyone remember, if even only for a moment...
it was all too real many years ago....show respects to those who have gone before us.
My congrats to the creators of this game...I think most will agree...Well done soldier!
Have fun everyone!
Snarglie
P.S. Anyone care to guess where my name came from?

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 11:57:02 PM »
I really like the P-38.

Me too.  :)
Strokes