Author Topic: German shepherd shoulder/elbow problems, need advice/help  (Read 3062 times)

Offline smkelly13

• Copper Member
German shepherd shoulder/elbow problems, need advice/help
« on: April 18, 2009, 09:04:09 AM »
My six year old king German shepherd started limping last night, and it has continued into this morning.  I've read plenty of literature about GSD, and all of it points to vet trips.  It may be early to be worried, but I am terrified.  He is truly my best friend, and I love him with all of my heart.  My eyes are watering as I type this.

Is there any home remedies that'll make my best friend feel any better?

I'm planning a vet visit for Monday if he doesn't get any better. 

I hope one of you guys/gals can help.

Does anyone else think it is unfair how short dogs lives are?
forecast for tonight is alcohol, low standards and poor decisions
-
Soon you will be able to buy a GM product imported from China at a Wal Mart Super Center.

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
Re: German shepherd shoulder/elbow problems, need advice/help
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 09:47:12 AM »
Posted by: smkelly13

My six year old king German shepherd started limping last night, and it has continued into this morning.  I've read plenty of literature about GSD, and all of it points to vet trips.  It may be early to be worried, but I am terrified.  He is truly my best friend, and I love him with all of my heart.  My eyes are watering as I type this.

Is there any home remedies that'll make my best friend feel any better?

I'm planning a vet visit for Monday if he doesn't get any better.

I hope one of you guys/gals can help.

Does anyone else think it is unfair how short dogs lives are?

What was the dog doing prior to the onset of "limping"?

Check his paws,nails, etc.

And if nothing is found from the above exam, take him to the Vet..also IF you live/frequent an area that is prone to Lyme disease, make sure to have him tested.

and yeah, the life span of "mans best friend" is much to short.
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline smkelly13

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 10:02:52 AM »
Bosco and I went for a three mile walk.  We got home, and he was fine.  I went in the bathroom and shaved my head, came out, and he was limping.

I'll check his paws and nails again once I get home.
forecast for tonight is alcohol, low standards and poor decisions
-
Soon you will be able to buy a GM product imported from China at a Wal Mart Super Center.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 10:08:24 AM »
Unfortunately German Shepherds belong to the list of overbread species that have genetic problems. They're prone for all kinds of bone related problems, arthritis etc.

They've been advertising a new kind of special canine food lately which they say will restore the mobility of aging dogs. Can't remember the name though.

Here's one site but this is not the one I was talking about: http://www.healthyfoodforpets.com/seniorplus.html
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 10:37:21 AM »
Unfortunately German Shepherds belong to the list of overbread species that have genetic problems. They're prone for all kinds of bone related problems, arthritis etc.

They've been advertising a new kind of special canine food lately which they say will restore the mobility of aging dogs. Can't remember the name though.

Here's one site but this is not the one I was talking about: http://www.healthyfoodforpets.com/seniorplus.html

I've been feeding my Goldens Flint River Ranch for the past 10 yrs...excellent product, imnsho.  I'm also a firm believer in administrating a daily Glucosamine Chondroitin suppliment.
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline Cougar68

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 10:48:08 AM »
There are loads of issues that can cause lameness in dogs and most are not terminal.  For example, my youngest Collie has ehrlichea.  It's a tick borne disease that he'll have for the rest of his life.  When it flairs up he starts limping on random legs.  Bit of antibiotic and he's good to go.  Bottom line, get your dog to the vet and get an answer for what's going on before you let yourself think the worst.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 12:50:11 PM »
Two of my  best friends Brooks (Black Lab) and Heidi (German Shepard) didn't fair to well with rear joint issues.

I'm hoping your best friends ailment is something easily remedied.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 05:02:32 PM »
If he was ok during the walk but started limping right after, he may well have gotten something stuck in between the pads of his toes.  A small rock or a hard little clod of dirt or a goathead even can be jammed in there in one step.  Spread his toes and look inbetween them and the pads carefully.  He may have gotten a cut or something like that too.

I just lost my dog this week.  He somehow got out of the yard during the day (never had ever gotten out before) and was hit by a car and killed.  A couple of years ago he woke me up when my apartment building caught fire.  I was looking forward to having many more good years with him. 

I hope your dog is just inconvenienced and not injured or ill man.  I'll be pulling for you and  him both.
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 08:24:18 PM »
idk if there is much you can do, german shepards have always been known for hip/leg issues

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Lighten up Francis

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 09:55:24 AM »
 Sheps are known for hip dysplasia but I wouldnt think at 6. Hartz was making a product for just that issue.It was a supplement with shark cartilage or something and it was aimed at helping that.I used it on my Collie and it seemed to help her out alot.
 Hit the vet.But check the paws out first.It can be something real small.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 10:14:49 AM »
smKelly, if im not mistaken VonMessa knows alot about Shepards, may be worth while sending him a PM.

Ive had them all my life as my dad was a K9 Police officer. IMHO they are the most loyal, smart and loving dog a family could own. Also, there is a breeder, The Monks of New Skeet, that are terrific when it comes to shepards. It seemed anytime my dad had any questions regarding the health of his partner, they were always glad to help or offer suggestions. May be worth looking into, although a trip to the vet is probably your best bet.

Good luck sir, with a little luck he was just a little tired from that walk, or had a joint or ligiment swell up.

Link to the Monks of New Skeet

http://www.newsketemonks.com/

Monks of New Skete
P.O. Box 128
Cambridge, New York 12816

phone: 518-677-3928
fax: 518-677-2373

monks@newskete.com

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 10:22:24 AM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 05:14:04 PM »
The joint problems can show up at any age, since many are caused by genetic predisposition. It is not at all uncommon to see them at ages as early as 2-4 years. There are foods that include supplements for joint health, and there are also separate supplements. The vet visit is the first thing to do, a thorough exam is a good idea anyway.

I just lost my Rottweiler, Gretchen, last month, she was 11. We thought she had beaten hemangiosarcoma and the odds (they took her spleen and a cancerous tumor that filled a gallon bucket, and she was up and around 1/2 an hour later) but evidently complications (an embolism) took her from me a month later. I still tear up at times, and still blame myself for not doing more. They are never with us long enough.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Flatbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 05:23:49 PM »
Remidil works very good but blood work must be included with any NSAID therapy.

Used this on a Dane I had, it made her act like she was 3-4 years younger, she was 9 at the time.

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/3sg-hip-displasure

Offline Coach

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 10:26:05 AM »
google a company in Washington state called Univera.

Search for a product called reginapet

My cousin had the same issue with his lab..... he said it completely turned him around and was extremely pleased.

Hope this helps

Coach