Author Topic: couldn't give it away  (Read 1333 times)

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
couldn't give it away
« on: April 22, 2009, 12:28:46 AM »
last night my squaddie finn and I took two b24's on a bombing mission, when we had emptied our bomb bays we formed up close and dived to about 12k over the nearest furball to troll for fighters. Back and forth, no takers, trolled the 24 out of fuel and glided back down across the furball, still no takers and rtb to crash land at our base. Just odd. :noid
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Re: couldn't give it away
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 12:33:51 AM »
i think some ppl realized that having two bomber formation together in tight formation is a death sentence. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 01:13:22 AM »
Unless they are flying right at me or going for the FH's, I usually ignore buffs and go for fighters.
-AoM-

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 01:37:02 AM »
last night my squaddie finn and I took two b24's on a bombing mission, when we had emptied our bomb bays we formed up close and dived to about 12k over the nearest furball to troll for fighters.

So you expected fighters to grab up to you? Sounds like you didn't find any suckers.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 06:19:47 AM »
You should of had one set de-ack the field, then disquise the other set as a 190 or 51 then they would have upped.

Then you could pick them off as they try to up for a fight.

Works like a charm.
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 11:26:09 AM »
If your defending a base the opponents are trying ot capture. I never understood why anyone would want to go after the bombers AFTER they have dropped their load and are RTB.

Try and kill them before they drop.
But once they drop. If you kill them. They will only come back with more bombs that much sooner.

Example. Lats say it takes a formation 15 min to reach your base. They drop on your VH. Now the VH is down 15 min.
If you kill them after they dropped. they will be back just in time to redrop the VH as soon as it re-ups.
Whereas if you let them go. They wont be back for another 1/2 hour. 15 min to RTB and another 15 min to come back again.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 11:28:35 AM »
Im more affraid of buffs then fighters.
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline gusman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 11:28:50 AM »
If your defending a base the opponents are trying ot capture. I never understood why anyone would want to go after the bombers AFTER they have dropped their load and are RTB.

Try and kill them before they drop.
But once they drop. If you kill them. They will only come back with more bombs that much sooner.

Example. Lats say it takes a formation 15 min to reach your base. They drop on your VH. Now the VH is down 15 min.
If you kill them after they dropped. they will be back just in time to redrop the VH as soon as it re-ups.
Whereas if you let them go. They wont be back for another 1/2 hour. 15 min to RTB and another 15 min to come back again.

You are very wise sir  :salute

Cheers,
gus

Lt Cdr gus
801 Squadron FAA
Squadron XO

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 11:33:24 AM »
If your defending a base the opponents are trying ot capture. I never understood why anyone would want to go after the bombers AFTER they have dropped their load

Because killing planes is fun. If they come back sooner, because they died instead of RTB'ing, you have even more planes to kill.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 11:35:41 AM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 11:38:01 AM »
i think some ppl realized that having two bomber formation together in tight formation is a death sentence. 

+1

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 12:57:58 PM »
we formed up close and dived to about 12k over the nearest furball to troll for fighters.

:lol  Perhaps you should have come down to 5k...
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 03:13:49 PM »
AA starts firing at 6.5K, so if he wants to get shot down without killing anything then that would be a good idea :rofl. I don't think he wants to be IN the furrball anyway, fighter coming in from behind, from above, from below, etc, you would get torn up :pray!!!
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 04:09:37 PM »
Because killing planes is fun. If they come back sooner, because they died instead of RTB'ing, you have even more planes to kill.

I agree in principle.
But if your base being captured is what your trying to prevent. Then killing bombers after they have already dropped their load is counter productive.
If all your after is a furball. And alot of furballers complain when a base is lost. Then again. shooting down bombers after they have blasted your base to all hell or have tried and missed is counter productive.
It only brings them back again that much sooner.

And if you have killed them after they dropped your hangars and you have gotten shot down or had to land. Then you have no hangars to up from to shoot them or anything else down again.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »
Im more affraid of buffs then fighters.
me too.  :noid
Strokes

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 05:34:12 PM »
they never attack when you WANT them too..  but then you get that one guy... who will follow you for 5 sectors..  just so yu can get up and pee while rtb.