Author Topic: WWII plane pulled out of Lake Michigan today.  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
WWII plane pulled out of Lake Michigan today.
« on: April 24, 2009, 04:44:19 PM »

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Phantomz

• Copper Member
Re: WWII plane pulled out of Lake Michigan today.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 04:45:47 PM »
Saw them pullin it out on CNN well caught a glimpse at work it looked like it was still in decent condition on the outside.
The Flying Circus

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 06:03:13 PM »
Yeah just saw that cool stuff. :aok
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline MstWntd

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 06:16:02 PM »
Must be an SBD?

Offline Phantomz

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 06:20:54 PM »
Yup SBD Dauntless
The Flying Circus

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 06:22:45 PM »
From what I hear there are actualy quite a few in the lake. If they are at any kind of depth where very little light hits them they should be well preserved. I have heard of some being pulled from the great lakes and just need a good drying out to be in working condition.

Wonder if there are any Hogs down there. We could use a few more of those flying.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:26:34 PM by Buzzard7 »

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 06:25:08 PM »
Story is, that when the war ended, dozens of brand new suddenly "surplus" aircraft were simply shoved off of the pier where they were waiting to be put into service.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Bark0

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 06:30:35 PM »
More than 17,000 pilots completed their aircraft carrier qualification training on Lake Michigan in the 1940s. Today, it's estimated 60 or so of their planes still remain at the bottom of the lake.
:O

"Come get your Free WWII plane Here! Crane cost 500$!"

:rofl

Quote From Shifty:
There's more to AH than the LWA...There's far more early war hanger queens as you call them missing than there are late war cannon armed uber rides.[quote/]

Offline Rising41

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 06:34:50 PM »
From what I hear there are actualy quite a few in the lake. If they are at any kind of depth where very little light hits them they should be well preserved. I have heard of some being pulled from the great lakes and just need a good drying out to be in working condition.

Wonder if there are any Hogs down there. We could use a few more of those flying.

From my understanding. there is at least 2 (Hogs) + 58 other types still not found but listed as down in Lake Michiagan.

O'Hare airport has a nice wildcat restored after many years under the lake. (Or is it at Midway? I forget now.) That may be the one your thinking of. From my understanding it's guns and engine were in working order within a day of repairs.

EDIT: old report. http://www.midwaysaircraft.org/training_on_the_lake2.htm
2nd edit lol... 1 known F4u. "The Navy used various aircraft for these training qualifications. Through ship’s logs and Aircraft Accident Cards we know that of the aircraft listed as lost were 41 TBM/TBF Avengers, one F4U Corsair, 38 SBD Dauntless, four F6F Hellcats, 17 SNJ Texans, two SB2U Vindicators, 37 FM/F4F Wildcats and three experimental drones known as TDNs.10 Several of the aircraft used for training had prior military history. Some served in Pacific campaigns, others in North Africa. Very few were new planes. Taken individually, the aircraft lost in Lake Michigan have historical value for battle service.11 However, even though many never saw battle they are still valuable as representatives of their type, or for their rarity today. Taken as a whole, the entire assemblage is significant for their service in carrier qualifications training in Lake Michigan. This history is important to the Navy, to the states surrounding southern Lake Michigan and to the nation."

From http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/org12-6i.htm
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:50:09 PM by Rising41 »

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 06:35:14 PM »
That's my hometown.

Larsen Marine is not far from where the old OMC Sterndrive/Johnson Outboard plants (engines used by the Cousteus) used to be.

That plane was one of those that was used for practicing dive bombing, torpedo, and strafing runs.

They'd either tow or leave floating "targets" just off the Beaches at Illinois Beach State Park and practice setting up their runs.  They did use real 50 cals on the practice strafing runs.

While that plane was found in 300+' of water, the beaches were further into the lake back then (by about 1/2 mile in someplaces) so back then it would have been far shallower.  The lake gobbled up many lakefront homes and restraunts back in the 50's and 60's.

My father-in-law (who lived in Zion, IL at that time) told me he and his brothers would ride their bikes down to the beach and watch the displays of air power.  He went in in 1943 and was in the second wave at DDay.

ROX

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 06:38:46 PM »
From my understanding. there is at least 2 (Hogs) + 58 other types still not found but listed as down in Lake Michiagan.

O'Hare airport has a nice wildcat restored after many years under the lake. (Or is it at Midway? I forget now.) That may be the one your thinking of. From my understanding it's guns and engine were in working order within a day of repairs.

One nice thing about many Lake Michigan wrecks of both maritime and aircraft is that the waters remail cooler than 70F in the summer (peak--mainly in the 60's near the shore--colder deeper) and the lake has frozen across in many winters and the Coast Guard Cutters are required to do the dirty work.

This makes a nice, cold water that actually preserves metals far longer.

ROX

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 06:53:34 PM »
:O

"Come get your Free WWII plane Here! Crane cost 500$!"

:rofl

I'm sure the US Navy will appreciate your recovering their property for
them.  They sure don't like to give up those Lake Michigan birds.

80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 08:23:54 PM »
One nice thing about many Lake Michigan wrecks of both maritime and aircraft is that the waters remail cooler than 70F in the summer (peak--mainly in the 60's near the shore--colder deeper) and the lake has frozen across in many winters and the Coast Guard Cutters are required to do the dirty work.

This makes a nice, cold water that actually preserves metals far longer.

ROX

Exactly.   There are PLENTY of wooden shipwrecks still intact.   If I'm not mistaken the Great Lakes have more than 3,000 in total and I'd have to say that 90% or more are preserved.   

Also, there is a 100% restored SBD at the Kalamazoo AirZoo that was pulled from Lake Michigan.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:25:39 PM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 08:28:20 PM »
Theres a B-24 offshore not far from where I grew up (Lake Ontario, near Mexico Bay and the port of Oswego) that the local divers love to hit, but it went down in a snowstorm, and from what I hear its in pretty bad shape.

EDIT- Heres the news articles from the local papers when she went down.

http://www.caterpillarclub.org/getaway1/getaway1.htm

And for the wooden ships mentioned, I give you the USS Hamilton and USS Scourge. Lost in a sudden squall during the War of 1812.

http://vaxxine.com/nda/hamilton/hsupdate.htm

http://www.hamilton-scourge.hamilton.ca/home.htm
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:38:26 PM by Treize69 »
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 01:28:47 AM »
Many airfields in Florida and probably other States too have 'condemned' parcels of land attached to the airport property where WWII aircraft were disposed of after the war by simply digging a hole and pushing the planes in and filling the hole over. It wont be long before that fact will have been forgotten and some future archeologist comes along and makes a new 'discovery' about it.  :lol
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.