Author Topic: 3 foot Blueprints of WWII fighters, engines, ect.  (Read 1185 times)

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Re: 3 foot Blueprints of WWII fighters, engines, ect.
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 03:42:32 PM »
There used to be a company that sold far more detailed blue prints of WW2 war birds.  The actual blue prints were a bit pricey, but they also sold cheaper white prints.  I had a very nice Me109 print when I was in college.  I have it stored somewhere in the basement.  Perhaps if I have time, I'll try to dig it out and see if I can figure out where I got it and if the company is still around.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 06:07:50 PM »
motor: http://www.precisionengines.com/pages/pwEngines.html

It’s been a crazy dream of mine to talk someone into building ww2 aircraft again in large numbers. For me it’s a no-brainer, I think you could sell hundreds and hundreds of the things but then again I’m biased.

If it cost around $100K to build a P-38 in 1945, got any idea what it would cost now? Even single engine fighters cost the government $50K to $75K or so in 1945. I seriously doubt you could sell a dozen, never mind hundreds, figuring the cost would be in excess of $10M each for new planes.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline John Curnutte

• Nickel Member
      • Precisionsquad.org
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 08:16:59 PM »
 Captain Hilts .
 the one thing that is true is it would cost a small fortune . But imagine with today's materials you could gain lots of speed , more maneuverability , better gallons per hour , and etc . A guy can dream right !
                                                                  Nutte :salute
Don't be afraid to put it out there , if it gets cut off it'll grow back
On your mark , Get set , go away !

Offline Ex-jazz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 12:17:34 AM »
If it cost around $100K to build a P-38 in 1945, got any idea what it would cost now? Even single engine fighters cost the government $50K to $75K or so in 1945. I seriously doubt you could sell a dozen, never mind hundreds, figuring the cost would be in excess of $10M each for new planes.

Do you have any information, how that 100k @ 1945 is calculated?

I wonder how much the cost per plane could be with modern CNC machinery, if we have all necessary tooling and jigs ready to use.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 12:25:06 AM »
Your necessary tooling to start up would be around 2 million I'd estimate. I have many machines in my shop but the most expensive is a 1.3 million laser. Granted it is the most powerful of its size in the state of Texas. Still the machinery is costly and that does not include setting up jigs and such.

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 12:53:56 AM »
I have many machines in my shop but the most expensive is a 1.3 million laser. Granted it is the most powerful of its size in the state of Texas.

What do u used that mechine for?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 01:20:11 AM »

To heat an oversized Jiffy-Pop pan.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 100hooch

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 01:51:08 AM »
Apply for bailout money as "job creation"!  We can also buy HTC as an advertising expense!

Then, who cares if the business tanks?  We all will have neat demonstrator aircraft to fly and our own computer game to play!
"It's not our job to die for our country.  It's our job to make the other poor dumb sonofasqueak die for his!" -- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 10:25:27 AM »

We are very diversified. We use it for everything from the petrochemical to heavy equipment. We cut everything from 1 1/2" CS to the thinnest shims. We also deal in every type of metal from carbon steel, aluminum, and stainless to exotics.  The laser also has a rotolas. This makes it able to also laser pipe up to 16" diameter, round and square tube and also oval tube.

The other machines include a 250 ton Accurpress, a 3/8" 10 ft Accurshear, and various mills (cnc and manual), Lathes, rolls and such. Just to name a few.

We don't ask for handouts from the people (government) as this company is intelligently run.  <S>
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 10:59:19 AM »
Now Pervert that link is the bomb it has great info and lots of details . That guy is a genius really and he had thought of things before hand on that project .
But just imagine if you had a cockpit just to sit in and play would be awesome in itself .  lots of food for thought here guys .
                Nutte :salute

While I wouldn't entertain the idea of a 'sim pit' I really would love a go in this thing if he completed it he has everything in there and from what I read, the instruments are all to work as well as a force feedback for the stick etc and we aren't talking a few rumbles to simulate the stick forces of a real spitfire it says up to 400lbs at times! :t God knows how powerful the motors would have to be to power that thing he'd probably need 4 :rolleyes: The working gunsight is also very impressive it would be the next best thing to flying one for real :rock

Maybe Hitech can buy it off him for the office toy  :devil  :lol

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 11:04:23 AM by pervert »

Offline Jappa52

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 01:02:02 PM »

How much would they have cost to build in 1945 if you didn't include the components that make them 'fighter aircraft'. (no guns, sstanks, armor, sights, etc..) All we are really talking about is a high performance recreational aircraft. look around the internet at what people are spending money on. Hell you can purchase an L-39 for 200-600k... the Turbine Legend, price? but i bet it's expensive!

You would also think that with today's technology it would be a lot easier to manufacture these aircraft. I can see the start up price being high but modify the cockpit layout to make them comfortable/current and you have a winner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS6Xd8xbd6A&feature=related sign me up coach!!!
ATTAQUEZET CONQUEREZ
8TH FIGHTER GROUP

Jappa52- 36th FIGHTER SQ Flying Fiends

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 03:31:19 PM »
We are very diversified. We use it for everything from the petrochemical to heavy equipment. We cut everything from 1 1/2" CS to the thinnest shims. We also deal in every type of metal from carbon steel, aluminum, and stainless to exotics.  The laser also has a rotolas. This makes it able to also laser pipe up to 16" diameter, round and square tube and also oval tube.

The other machines include a 250 ton Accurpress, a 3/8" 10 ft Accurshear, and various mills (cnc and manual), Lathes, rolls and such. Just to name a few.

We don't ask for handouts from the people (government) as this company is intelligently run.  <S>

It would be terrible if you're our amazinhunk cousin.

*edit* That's the profanity filter, rather than me being dotingly nice.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 03:35:24 PM by texasmom »
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Ex-jazz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 03:08:34 PM »
You would also think that with today's technology it would be a lot easier to manufacture these aircraft. I can see the start up price being high but modify the cockpit layout to make them comfortable/current and you have a winner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS6Xd8xbd6A&feature=related sign me up coach!!!

I think, you just sum up it.

Sometimes it feels like the people are mystifying the WW2 plane build-up process.

We are not remaking the Excalibur here with Lady In the Lake. It's just a airplane without all those ww2 time military gadgets.

The modern days metal sheet material quality and modern CNC machines it would make a actual assembly phase to be a next to heaven... Easier, Faster & Accurate.

BTW
How about the legal side? Lets assume, I have a COMPLETE set of the manufacturing drawings of the F4U-4, excluding the guns, ord system & radios etc.

So, can I start the manufacturing with B-I-G$$$ tag on it?

Offline Jappa52

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 10:11:30 AM »
I heard about the Flug Werk  190s but I didnt know they were making 51s too!!

http://www.flugwerk.de/page.php?GID=20&SID=5

We do target the individual who is looking for a payable way to get flying in his own classic US-warbird. The idea behind the project is very similar to our preceding Fw 190 project, which is now drawing to a close after 20 aircraft and kits have been built and delivered worldwide.
ATTAQUEZET CONQUEREZ
8TH FIGHTER GROUP

Jappa52- 36th FIGHTER SQ Flying Fiends