Author Topic: P39Q eny/P38L eny  (Read 912 times)

Offline juice

• Zinc Member
P39Q eny/P38L eny
« on: April 27, 2009, 05:16:47 PM »
can someone please tell me why the P39Q and the P38L have the same eny? i don't understand...

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: P39Q eny/P38L eny
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 05:28:33 PM »
You can't see out of a P-39Q.

P-38L is BIG thus making it easy to shoot.

I don't think you are actually disputing the P-39's ENY value, are you.  (doh!) Unless you think both should be greater (The P-39s that is).

:D

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 06:18:12 PM »
Whats ENY? I just fly the planes I want to, if one gets locked out, I pick another one.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
Fight for the low #'s side if you don't want to deal with ENY.
Strokes

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 07:24:38 PM »
Whats ENY? I just fly the planes I want to, if one gets locked out, I pick another one.

Fight for the low #'s side if you don't want to deal with ENY.

Gee...those two stellar replies really do a bang up job in answering the OP's question regarding why the P-39Q and the P-38L have the same ENY.  Anymore insightful answers you want to reveal to us?

Anyway, to answer the OP's question.  My guess would be because of the rarity of the P-39Q-1 we have modeled in the game.  Think there was around 150 or so produced.  At least that's why I would guess it has the same ENY as the P-38L.  HiTech would probably be better able to answer this question though.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 08:40:32 PM »
I'm not sure "rarity" is necessarily the reason for an ENY of 20 for both planes.

I would suspect (perhaps the OP can verify) that the question is: "If ENY is an indication of a plane's performance, why do these two planes have the same ENY when their performance is quite different."

I could be all wet, though . . .

But assuming I am not, one must understand that ENY is basically set in increments of 5 (a few oddities like the 8 ENY 51D notwithstanding) leaving you only 8 levels (5 through 40) at which to put all the planes in the planeset.  So, you will have planes with the same ENY that will be very different in performance.

Based on your flying style, the 38L might be a "20+" and the P-39Q a "20-", but their positions as 20 ENY planes are relative to the rest of the plane set.  Neither are quite "bad" enough to be ENY 25 or "good" enough to be ENY 15 by whatever measuring stick HTC uses.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 09:58:27 PM »
can someone please tell me why the P39Q and the P38L have the same eny? i don't understand...

I question ever airplane's ENY, for example, why does a Spitfire IX have the same ENY as P39Q, or A6M5, or even the F4F?

BTW here is the ENY list http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/Aircraft%2C_Vehicles_and_Boats_in_Main_Arenas
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 10:26:08 PM »
Gee...those two stellar replies really do a bang up job in answering the OP's question regarding why the P-39Q and the P-38L have the same ENY.  Anymore insightful answers you want to reveal to us?

ack-ack

Well its a good thing you never posted any smart bellybutton remarks on these boards. You wouldn't have a leg to stand on with that statement!   :D

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 12:59:55 AM »

P-38L is BIG thus making it easy to shoot.

wrongway

I won't say it is easy to shoot.  Yes, it dose have a large area surface but a thin profile.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 02:13:56 AM »

ack-ack

^^^ Love it.   :lol

There are so many ENY discrepancies it's not even worth naming them all.  I would think the 39Q should have a 25-30 eny and the 38L to probably be around where it is.  Ultimately though, anything >20 eny very rarely affects restrictions on what you can fly.  Rate of earning perkies is the only real issue here which most would agree is laughably unimportant.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 03:40:05 AM »

Well its a good thing you never posted any smart bellybutton remarks on these boards. You wouldn't have a leg to stand on with that statement!   :D

Big difference between the typical whine post in these forums and someone with a legitimate question.

ack-ack

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 03:43:18 AM »
There are so many ENY discrepancies it's not even worth naming them all.  I would think the 39Q should have a 25-30 eny and the 38L to probably be around where it is.  Ultimately though, anything >20 eny very rarely affects restrictions on what you can fly.  Rate of earning perkies is the only real issue here which most would agree is laughably unimportant.

Is ENY based on performance?  If so, then it's really off the mark with the P-39Q and the P-38L. In no way shape or form is the P-39Q close to the P-38L in terms of performance. 

ack-ack

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 05:52:14 AM »
Big difference between the typical whine post in these forums and someone with a legitimate question.

ack-ack

To me the OP sounded like the typical whine.

Offline wipass

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.secestimating.com
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 06:47:37 AM »
This is a whine

How is the 109 K4 at 20 eny, same as Spit IX

Damn 109 K4 is near untouchable at all alts

wipass

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 06:54:29 AM »
This is a whine

How is the 109 K4 at 20 eny, same as Spit IX

Damn 109 K4 is near untouchable at all alts

wipass

whilst i agree it is an uber ride,  it has 65 taters that are fast firing,  You have to be extremely disciplined to hold fire on most shots until the sights are definately on.  The spits can easily spray with hispano and get lucky.

In a straight up fight what would you rather take a spit 9 or a 109k4??   I know I would go with the Spit 9 and easily beat most k4 pilots.

The Few ***
F.P.H