Author Topic: The K/D now and then  (Read 6777 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
The K/D now and then
« on: May 07, 2009, 05:59:28 PM »
All those "discussions" about quality both of the game as well of the players made me look up the distribution of K/D in fighter mode in LW arenas.
Granted, K/d doesn't tell much about the actual fighter quality of a player, but when looking as the arena as a whole, it's a interesting statistical parameter. And while you can't say from K/D if a player with 8.0 is "better" than another with 3.0, it seems to be a common consensus that a player that can't get a K/D of 1 isn't really "good" and that one constantly below 0.5 does more or less "suck"

But how many "suck" that way? How many do reach the 1.0 breakeven point at all?

I sampled two tours, the last full tour (111) as well as one from the "glorious past" 7 years ago, tour 24.

Tour 111.
I found that
- only ~37% of all players managed to get a K/D better than 0.5
- only ~22% of all players reached 1.0 or better
- only 9% ended up with a K/D of 2.0 or better
- the 50% threshold was at about 0.3

Tour 24
If the general skill level at that time had really been much better back then (with more WWII aviation enthusiasts and much less "XBox/Quake gamers" as it's been frequently called), I would had expected a different, somewhat more balanced distribution. Of course, there would still had been a small number of players at the top getting high K/D's, but I would had expected a little bit more even numbers at the lower and medium ranks.

I found that
- about 37% of all players had a K/D better 0.5
- about 19% got 1.0 or better
- about 6% reached K/D 2.0 or better
- the 50% threshold was at about 0.27

We can see, the 50% threshold is slightly higher today and the minority of players getting K/D 2.0 or better (and thus spanking the huge majority of our virtual pilots) isn't as small as it used to be (increased by a whopping 50%). Of course, the significance of these numbers is highly debatable ;)

Feel free to draw your own or none conclusions at all  :)

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Re: The K/D now and then
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 06:06:12 PM »
Interesting, very very interesting.  From those numbers, it would appear, that the glorious past was pretty similar to the sucky (according to certain people) today.

I wonder if the folks who were the top of the food chain 7 years ago were fondly remembering glorious days gone by?  Is the truth perhaps more along the lines that the folks at the top of the food chain now simply have a "rose colored" view of the exciting days when they were coming up the ranks?

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 06:08:05 PM by PFactorDave »

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Online SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 06:07:54 PM »
Woo Hoo Graphs. you haven't used one in your post for a little while.
Maybe we need a Wednesday graph

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 06:09:08 PM »
Would the change in the hit bubble have anything to do with that?  I have no clue what I'm talking about so everyone is free to go ahead and tell me so :lol.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 06:12:18 PM »
Interesting, very very interesting.  From those numbers, it would appear, that the glorious past was pretty similar to the sucky (according to certain people) today.

Yes and no. You surely can't derive any conclusions about gameplay quality from those numbers. They don't show if anybody got his kills or deaths by vulching,ganging, B'nZ or by noble 1v1 turnfighting.

But I often read on 200 about how nowadays the majority of players are only unskilled "ADD squeakers". But it seems to be not worse than 7 years ago...

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 06:25:15 PM »
yeah but how many people were subscribed 7 years ago? I would think totals subscriptions have doubled since then.

BTW, good topic  :aok
Lighten up Francis

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 06:30:52 PM »
Lusche,
Did you total the different arena's for tour 111 or just look at late war only?

Interesting topic, thanks for the graph.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 06:35:15 PM »
Lusche,
Did you total the different arena's for tour 111 or just look at late war only?

Interesting topic, thanks for the graph.

Only late war, because that's the equivalent to the old Main Arena. Also EW & MW have only about 1% respectively 6% of all current "main arena" kills.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 06:36:58 PM by Lusche »

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 06:38:03 PM »
Do MW and EW differ at all? I could imagine EW being different, however I'd imagine that MW is largely similar?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 06:50:04 PM »
however I'd imagine that MW is largely similar?

MW 111:

K/D 0.5 and better ~29%
K/D 1.0 and better ~17%
K/D 2.0 and better ~9%
50% threshold is well below 0.1

But it's a very small arena, good chance that numbers may vary substantially over several tours.

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 07:03:19 PM »
Lushe, I think we would also have to take into consideration the plane set during Tour 24 and Tour 111.  I wasn't around during Tour 24 so this is where some of the "old timers" could step in and offer their opinions.  I would also suggest that updates to plane modeling may also be a factor. 

Any other thoughts on this?

Obie
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 07:05:41 PM »
Lushe, I think we would also have to take into consideration the plane set during Tour 24 and Tour 111.  I wasn't around during Tour 24 so this is where some of the "old timers" could step in and offer their opinions.  I would also suggest that updates to plane modeling may also be a factor. 

Any other thoughts on this?

Obie

Hmmm... I wonder how the plane modeling could have any impact? I mean the planes are the same for everyone in any given tour?

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 07:14:37 PM »
Hmmm... I wonder how the plane modeling could have any impact? I mean the planes are the same for everyone in any given tour?

Yes that is true.  But I was thinking of the k/d ratio improving or declining based upon what planes were available.  Look at it this way, If everyone is armed with knives, there will be a certain level of deaths.  Now arm those people with AK 47s.  Wouldn't the k/d ratio go up because of better tools to work with?  Or am I over-thinking this? 

I'm thinking along the lines of ENY.  There are many pilots who don't fly uber planes, they prefer the challenge.  So wouldn't that effect the k/d ratio?  More planes to work with now than seven (7) years ago.

Obie
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 07:16:10 PM »
Would the change in the hit bubble have anything to do with that?  I have no clue what I'm talking about so everyone is free to go ahead and tell me so :lol.

Since there has never been a hit "bubble" in Aces High, I would say that it has neither changed nor had any effect.

You have no idea what you are talking about.
 :aok

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 07:17:50 PM »
Yes that is true.  But I was thinking of the k/d ratio improving or declining based upon what planes were available.  Look at it this way, If everyone is armed with knives, there will be a certain level of deaths.  Now arm those people with AK 47s.  Wouldn't the k/d ratio go up because of better tools to work with?  Or am I over-thinking this? 

You may be over-thinking. ;)
Players engage and shoot each other down in AH. Whether they fly Spit V or Spit XVI - in the end one of them is dead. And each period of AH had their specific "uber planes"