Author Topic: The K/D now and then  (Read 6778 times)

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
Re: The K/D now and then
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2009, 06:26:10 AM »
Sort of tried it this tour, had never attempted it really before... went 17 for 17 all in a G6, 58 kills no deaths... if I can get my damn stick from spiking so bad I might make an effort to see how many I can get this tour.  Definitely a much different challenge, gave me a renewed interest in the game.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2009, 07:04:56 AM »
Streaks should be separated with plane types flied within the streaks.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2009, 08:03:10 AM »
as to what counts and what doesn't, its all the preference of the player attempting it.

the 262 in my opinion Kazaa is a death trap due to its horrendous ability to stand out in a crowd.
A big asset in surviving a large fight is killing rapidly while being inconspicuous. Neither to high that you are an obvious threat easily avoided or to low that you are a prime target. The 262 is ill suited to attempt to streak due to its inability to blend in and the tendancy of its pilot to end up in adverse situations so quickly that they end up on fire with pieces missing from a random aircraft that ignored every other airplane in the fight to dive from 20k to 5k just to shoot down the 262. when all enemies are watching you you are not on the offensive. You are flying defensively trying to survive and close to being dead.

Steve I think you are the current record holder by the standards I streak by. There have been higher streaks that ended in a death before the tour ended by myself and maybe others but I think you are the only one to survive a tour with that many kills and had a k/d ratio intact to prove it. :D

Heya killnu :)

Stang you beat me this tour with 58 (wow in a 109g6?)... I didn't have much time to fly and ended up with only 49 kills in a 109k4 but survived the whole tour at least.

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2009, 08:31:38 AM »
After all the challenge is the thing. and the holy grail number of kills is naturally 352.

Cit I understand how you choose the number, but how many times was he shot down? You would be counting all bails as shoot downs.

HiTech

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2009, 08:39:08 AM »
Cit I understand how you choose the number, but how many times was he shot down? You would be counting all bails as shoot downs.

HiTech

Ja,

I think Otto Kittlel would be the benchmark. (4th all time)

Otto Kittel flew 583 combat missions and recorded 267 victories.  Prior to his death, he had not been bested in aerial combat but had been shot down once by flak.

EDIT:  He got the ditch too,  :)  so it was a true 267 victory streak.  Another amazing thing about Kittel is that he did not begin his streak until June of 1941!  I beleive all his victories came in the Fw190A series fighters.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 09:19:59 AM by Stampf »
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2009, 09:01:13 AM »
as to what counts and what doesn't, its all the preference of the player attempting it.

the 262 in my opinion Kazaa is a death trap due to its horrendous ability to stand out in a crowd.
A big asset in surviving a large fight is killing rapidly while being inconspicuous. Neither to high that you are an obvious threat easily avoided or to low that you are a prime target. The 262 is ill suited to attempt to streak due to its inability to blend in and the tendancy of its pilot to end up in adverse situations so quickly that they end up on fire with pieces missing from a random aircraft that ignored every other airplane in the fight to dive from 20k to 5k just to shoot down the 262. when all enemies are watching you you are not on the offensive. You are flying defensively trying to survive and close to being dead.

Steve I think you are the current record holder by the standards I streak by. There have been higher streaks that ended in a death before the tour ended by myself and maybe others but I think you are the only one to survive a tour with that many kills and had a k/d ratio intact to prove it. :D

Heya killnu :)

Stang you beat me this tour with 58 (wow in a 109g6?)... I didn't have much time to fly and ended up with only 49 kills in a 109k4 but survived the whole tour at least.

Wise words, very true indeed.

I started flying only 262's one tour, I had 80 for 0 before I tried flying my 262 under a bridge, I found out the funny/hard way that it’s not a good idea.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2009, 09:20:14 AM »

HiTech

If my memory serves me right, he never bailed. He did several forced landings, but only one of them resulted in a "System: You have been captured", all others were "You have ditched" ;)

So his total K/D is 176, but I would have to look up the number of kills before he was captured to determine his "streak".
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2009, 09:25:24 AM »
Hartmann ditched 14 times.  He always claimed to have never been forced to ditch due to enemy a/c fire.

Edit:...Oooops, And yes Snail...your memory is correct.  He never took to the silk.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 09:28:53 AM by Stampf »
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2009, 09:37:51 AM »
Hitech the reason for this is because i am misusing the in game k/d ratio as a bastardized method of tracking and proving a successful streak.
However all proof is lost even after 1 death, bail or disco due to the fact that the death/bail/disco could have occurred anywhere during the current number of recorded kills. So it is more of a personal challenge every tour for the past 10 years.

I think I have only survived a handful of tours entirely without a Death/bail/disco and they were low scoring tours with around 50-70 kills only.

I have only gotten into the hundreds of kills 2 times. First 152 kills in p51d many years ago and more recently 195 kills in a 109k4 (thought it was 170 but it was 195 lol) both of these ended in deaths however and the solitary proof that was intended to come from the K/d ratio was lost...  so attempting this gives no medal for second place. Survive the whole tour with the kills you have or it never happened.

Even if you had 195 kills before dying it only matters to you and a few squaddies who were there.

Bails are counted as a death in the k/d ratio. for the same reason I count disco's as a death from mechanical failure.

The perfect tour scenario for myself would be a K/d of 352 kills and 0 deaths. To acquire that all sorties must end in a landing or ditch.

............................. ...

If your interested in the spirit of this (something extremely difficult that can only be done once per tour which gives the player something significant to lose) I have thought a long time about a recording method.

The emphasis on a one shot deal per tour vs an endless streak counter that resets every death and keeps counting over and over has two important reasons.
1. It gives that 1 virtual life a large psychological roll playing element that can be kept alive or lost for the entire tour.
2. It would be best to at all costs avoid rewarding a live at all costs and avoid fighting mentality for the general population in the MA

thus such a counter should have no impact on scores or ranks. should have no advertisement and actually be difficult for newer players to find and fuss over.

that method would be pretty simple in concept...

"Kills before Death"

it would only track the number of kills at the start of a tour before the pilot was killed or captured or had a disco (I like the mechanical failure death random chance element of including discos as a streak ender hehe) It would allow what you accurately noticed in hartmanns 352 kills to happen... to bail out... (multiple times in fact) and even escape capture (might be a long walk but a die hard streaker would attempt it)

after a player dies, is captured or discos(mechanical failure resulting in death or capture) the Kills before death counter stops counting and is preserved for the players enjoyment and ability to look back and remember fondly their hair raising adventure of surviving to get so many kills and then dying.

I feel the Kill's before Death counter should only count victories against aircraft while in a fighter/attack sortie but stop after a death/bail/disco of any type regardless of if it was in a bomber fighter or attack or vehicle. This reinforces the role playing element and facilitates the ease of losing this one virtual first life of the tour. Everything else your a zombie for. I would say only airborne aircraft count but not sure if that's possible. (the gv guys may cry but the intent of this is to replicate Air combat scoring and adding gv kills and kills from ship/field guns would corrupt it. I am only advocating an air to air streak system at the moment.)

After the streak ends its time to unwind from the stress and psychological torture of trying to survive this horrible virtual war.

"It is time to join your fellow dead men flying zombies and tank whats left of that good old K/d ratio into the ground with a good old low level flying in ack with bombs in rockets dying and furballing spree for the rest of the tour carefree...

Because its enjoyable to be as dead as it is to be alive in this game. and you cant wait till next tour to try it again because this time your gonna really push the envelope. Your gonna keep maximum situational awareness, razor sharp gunnery and hair splitting maneuvers from all the down and dirty carefree practice and fun your gonna have the rest of this tour. But next tour... its on. Gonna chase that carrot thats just out of reach... get that one more kill... gonna survive it this time. You will see."

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline AHGOD666

• Zinc Member
« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2009, 10:56:37 AM »
I use to try running those in the D9 and 262.  I would have to dig back a few years ago to see what they were. 

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2009, 03:14:51 PM »
Edit:...Oooops, And yes Snail...your memory is correct.  He never took to the silk.
This is a common myth, however he was shot down and forced to bail over by P51's 1944 (over Romania IIRC).
There's a fairly detailed account of this in 'the Blond Knight of Germany'.

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2009, 03:17:34 PM »
This is a common myth, however he was shot down and forced to bail over by P51's 1944 (over Romania IIRC).
There's a fairly detailed account of this in 'the Blond Knight of Germany'.

Been along time since I read that last.  Will have to look tonight.  If so, then Kittlel would be the AcesHigh Streak criteria king.

EDit:  Found it...Bailed due to lack of fuel while being chased.  Landed 4 miles from base.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:31:27 PM by Stampf »
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -