Author Topic: The K/D now and then  (Read 7395 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: The K/D now and then
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2009, 07:01:49 PM »
Seems I recall guy putting bounties on themselves back then
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2009, 07:12:35 PM »
it generated into people putting bounties up just to grief others and it also became a popularity contest.  It got to the point that those that had the bounty on them were the ones that weren't known for their skill but rather how popular they were in chat.

ack-ack

Hmm I don't remember that. I had the second highest bounty on me(at least the way I remember it) and don't remember being particularly popular in chat.  I'm not advocating for the same thing here, anyway. I'm just suggesting that  people who are ranked higher, in the applicable category,  should yield more perk/score point to those who shoot them down... with no additional penalty to the person shot down. I don't see a down side.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:15:01 PM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2009, 07:47:25 PM »
Hmm I don't remember that. I had the second highest bounty on me(at least the way I remember it) and don't remember being particularly popular in chat.  I'm not advocating for the same thing here, anyway. I'm just suggesting that  people who are ranked higher, in the applicable category,  should yield more perk/score point to those who shoot them down... with no additional penalty to the person shot down. I don't see a down side.

i dont see a problem unless it is crazy bonus.. If you start giving out some crap like 5x the perks for killing someone in the top 20, it will probably get ridiculous. "oh i just got killed by xxxxxxxx at a123, come kill him! get perks!!@! !!@!@!@!!!"

but a slight modifier like the perk bonus that already exists, might be alright.. If I were any good at math, I would present a formula :)
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2009, 10:09:15 PM »
You do realize he's been playing about 7 years longer than you right?
You realize some people dont actually learn ACM from just MA play.......btw Im still waiting for you to tell Shawk I wanna 1v1. Kinda want to 1v1 Karaya too hes been playing longer but I might come out on top. Time playing doesnt actually make you better unless you practice good technique all the time
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2009, 11:12:28 PM »
JunkyII, I agree with you.  Time does not make a player better.  Just because someone has been playing for 8-10 years, doesn't make him/her a great pilot.  He/She may just be someone who's bee playing the game for that long and still sucks. 
LOL, Use me for an example.  Ive been playing for over a year and still get my bellybutton handed to me out there in fighters.  It's fun though, so I'll keep trying.
Bombers, well that's another story.   :aok

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2009, 05:16:49 PM »
I am one of a small minority of long time players (10 years now omg) who does not get my kicks from an above average K/d ratio from typically timid BnZ flying.

However I do not prefer the purist dogfighter play style of 200mph outnumbered on the deck, kill 3-4 and get shot down and die rinse repeat as a challenge either.

There is another thrill that I think many indulge in at the beginning of each tour... it is a practice that was once recorded long ago in warbirds known as streaking... which would be recorded as the number of kills before dying... the way actual aces in ww2 were forced to keep track of their success because... well after they died they didn't come back.

Some get pretty high streaks going at the beginning of a new tour. I've topped 170 on occasion before dying but never broken 200. Ive even survived a few tours without dying at all... but the challenge of the streak... that unreachable magic number of kills remains.

After all the challenge is the thing. and the holy grail number of kills is naturally 352.

no one has broken 200 to my knowledge. And if they have only they would know anyway once they get shot down and start again any evidence of the feat is gone.

now mind you this is not mainstream nor should it be. to survive an entire tour landing or ditching every sortie without dying bailing or being captured is the parameters of the challenge. And due to the nature of Aces high accounting system you only can do this once per tour. no streak accounting system is in place.

It is an ad hoc Hardcore streak playstyle that misuses K/d Ratio to track a streak. And that streak is active for the tour only while K/D+1 = K/0+1.

once you hit K/1+1 or even k/0.5+1 the streak ends. until next month. in a way it is almost preferable to a streak counter that begins anew after each death in that you have only one chance per tour to do this. And say what you will this thing is a challenge that takes total situational awareness and an infinite amount of luck.. even a disco will put you out of the streak (always considered an aircraft mechanical malfunction that resulted in death by yours truly). You will be put in situations during the attempt that have very slim chance of survival and the maneuvers you must execute to stay alive are very intense during the streak. because you have something to lose. and you cant get it back till next tour.

so to those that say all the old timers have left...

I disagree.

A few of us are still around... but we might have died.

so we will be back next tour.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2009, 05:20:22 PM »
That sounds like fun Fester. I might just do that this week, see how many I can get. Although I guess it would kinda limit what I do, since I probably won't be taking any risks, at all.

Still sounds fun.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2009, 05:40:49 PM »
I would not recommend it for newer players. Its something that is not possible for the masses to even attempt. And if they did it would only frustrate them.  its something that keeps 1 or 2 old timers who have "been there done that" and seek another element to add to the challenge. something so difficult and impossible and downright nerve wracking after the numbers start to build up into the hundreds that you can almost go back in time and get a glimpse of it all and the life or death struggle it actually was. not just of the tactics and the performance of the machines against each other.

i would dare say it is a play style more akin to role playing than anything else.

the difference is...

"I have a spit on the tail of my 109. I'm out of altitude and airspeed and options and i have to do something sensational to survive, but if I don't I will just up a new plane 2 seconds later"

versus...

"I have a spit on the tail of my 109. I'm out of altitude and airspeed and options and i have to do something sensational to survive, but if I don't I will be dead... till next tour."

normally you have nothing to lose...

but this play style is all about having something to lose that you can't get back... until next month.

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2009, 06:50:27 PM »
What did you start off with? Somthing that you enjoy to fly the most? I know I can do it, tring to find somthing new all the time :)
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2009, 07:14:38 PM »
I think I've tried it every tour since beta in many aircraft. the highest streaks I got were in p38s, p51s, 109s, 190s. Ive found matching the Highest kill tally of the pilot flying the actual aircraft in ww2 make the attempt more in the spirit of things. hence why i fly 109s and 190s when trying to survive a tour and get hundreds of kills. to match a top US ace you would  only have to hit 40 in a p38 or 32 in a f6f if i remember right.

fishu's 347 kills/0 deaths in beta tour 1 and warbirds streak system were the inspiration for it i suppose. even though Fishu's actual k/d was around 16/1 from bails and captures no enemy had recorded kills on him. so legit or not.. it and hartman's 352 kills are the numbers to beat.

One variation of it is a single sortie streak. where you rearm to see how many kills you could get in a single sortie.

first time I tried it successfully was in a P-38L back when each kill was announced when the kill happened and a number was next to the kill.

I was attempting to get 40 kills in one sortie... by the 40th kill a lot of enemy players were hunting me and some friendly fighters were lingering around me for easy fixated kills on my attackers. I managed to land it though.

I have always considered myself a survivalist regardless of how hardcore my streak attempt is on any particular tour for two reasons... I hate getting shot down. and I find 5 kills landed is more satisfying than 6 kills but shot down.

"one more" will get you killed every time.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 07:28:29 PM by Citabria »

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2009, 08:10:14 PM »

I have always considered myself a survivalist regardless of how hardcore my streak attempt is on any particular tour for two reasons... I hate getting shot down. and I find 5 kills landed is more satisfying than 6 kills but shot down.

"one more" will get you killed every time.

Well put. One of the lessons I've learned is not to keep pressing. That is. When to turn away and either go home and land. or search for another target.
Too often I'd see a target and decide THAT was the one thats gonna die. Eventually get the kill but in the meantime gave up any and every advantage I might have had and put myself in a position I couldnt get out of.
Thats what happens when you get greedy or become too target fixated. I've learned if the shot is there. Take it. If it isnt. then dont press it but instead move on or exit the area.

Sometimes your better off passing on some kills in favor of a different target
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2009, 08:37:15 PM »
Streaks are challenging, nerve wracking, stressful, and exhilerating all at once. I don't think I'll ever approach Fester's 170. That's simply an amazing feat, both skill and luck wise. Skill aside, my luck would never hold that long. I set a personal requirement that I must stay close to 10 kills per hour so I'm not tempted to go completely timid when I'm on a streak.  I've never gotten past 120...I finished a tour with no deaths, discos, captures or bails, but it was a short month since I went on vacation. I only managed 100/1 but it was cool to try to stay alive.

Ya Fes.. a streak counter... cool idea.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2009, 09:03:49 PM »
Would a streak in a 262 count?

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2009, 04:17:22 AM »
Streaks are challenging, nerve wracking, stressful, and exhilerating all at once. I don't think I'll ever approach Fester's 170. That's simply an amazing feat, both skill and luck wise. Skill aside, my luck would never hold that long. I set a personal requirement that I must stay close to 10 kills per hour so I'm not tempted to go completely timid when I'm on a streak.  I've never gotten past 120...I finished a tour with no deaths, discos, captures or bails, but it was a short month since I went on vacation. I only managed 100/1 but it was cool to try to stay alive.

Ya Fes.. a streak counter... cool idea.

yes, Steve

put it on the wishlist! Its a great feeling flying a streak. It Psycho war! I love it  :rock

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2009, 04:59:23 AM »
that is my goal from that other thread for this tour...352-0 in a G6.

Hiya Fester.  :D
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++