Author Topic: Contemplations about a possible perked ords system  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Contemplations about a possible perked ords system
« on: May 12, 2009, 01:39:39 PM »
Why?

Main goal is to get a bit more diversity. Light bombers/attackers like SBD, TBM, Ki-67, ju-87 are quite underused in the LW arena, and that's not surprising when considering that our typical heavy fighter is usually carrying a way heavier payload

Basic changes

Current perks per plane stay the same. Added in hangar are perk costs for certain loadout choices:

All fighters:
Rockets: Free
Bombs up to 250lbs: Free
500lbs/250kg: 1 perk per bomb (I am aware that this is maybe a bit too strict)
1000lbs/500kg: 2 perks per bomb

All heavy bombers:
Bombs up to 1000lbs/500kg Free
2000lbs/1000kg : 1 perk per bomb
4000lbs/1800kg: 3 perks per bomb

Unlike plane perks, these perks are spend: Once you drop the bomb, the perks you payed are gone.

37mm gun package Il2: 5 perks
F4U 20mm gun package: 15 perks (Merging F4U-D and -C into one plane & pay perks per gun selection)

Future perked packages could be the 57mm on a Mossie, the BK 5 cannon on a Me 410 etc.

Balance considerations
Now when putting those changes into effect, it's quite likely that we would see simply a huge increase of 110Gs and N1Ks simply strafing everything down, as guns are much more potent than bombs vs. structures anyway: Currently the big gun package on the 110G is equivalent to 5600lbs of bombs, the N1k's guns are equal to 3000lbs of bombs!

In order to prevent this, all guns <=37mm should get their damage vs structures (only) reduced by half.
Note that the B-25H's 75mm isn't affected by that, as well all the tank guns (but not the Wirbelwind)

Getting perks

Now, it's pretty obvious that bomber perks are the ones you are gonna using for perked ordinance.
But to not penalize players that do Jabo stuff but don't fly buffs, there has to be a small change here as well:
All perks gained in "attack" scoring mode are bomber perks.
(Side effect: Milking strats won't give you perks for 262's anymore ;))

As the title already said, these are just some thoughts up for discussion. Not a polished wish yet, that's why I'm posting in AH General Discussions
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
Re: Contemplations about a possible perked ords system
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 02:22:23 PM »
Lusche,

If your in heavy bombers your not really going to be affected. The Lancasters heaviest load is fourteen 1,000 lbers and would be free. The B-24 can carry the same amount (in weight) of 1k bombs vs 2k bombs. B-17 doesnt carry anything above 1k so no effect here. Also you would be punishing the Ju-87 if they use 1,000 kg or 1,800 kg bomb. I appreciate the goal for diversity but dont see this changing much from the ordnance perspective.

Edit: I have asked for perked ordnance in the past although in a different direction. Parabombs, incendiary bombs,  time delay fusing (for bombs and AA) and even dreamed of a V1-V2.

<S> Strip

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 02:41:20 PM by Strip »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 02:50:11 PM »
Lusche,

If your in heavy bombers your not really going to be affected. The Lancasters heaviest load is fourteen 1,000 lbers and would be free. The B-24 can carry the same amount (in weight) of 1k bombs vs 2k bombs. B-17 doesnt carry anything above 1k so no effect here. Also you would be punishing the Ju-87 if they use 1,000 kg or 1,800 kg bomb. I appreciate the goal for diversity but dont see this changing much from the ordnance perspective.

I didnt try to affect heavy bombers much. Main goal (see above) was directed more to hy fighters carrying 2.5k of ords all the time.
Also, I nowhere stated that light bombers ordonance loadout would be perked at all. The 1800kg loadout for the Stuka is still free.
And of course in such a system there would be place for different types of special bombs. For example parabombs... or genuine AP bombs.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 02:51:49 PM by Lusche »

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 02:56:49 PM »
Why would the BK5 be perked?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 02:59:04 PM »

This is going to be an interesting discussion...
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 03:00:09 PM »

I'm not saying is would have to be.. that's just a list of possible future additions. The appropriateness is another discussion. ;)

Offline Nisky

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 03:02:59 PM »
With regards to perks used for the ord would it be use of bomber perks or would it use your Fighter perks? An example say you want a P47N loaded to the gills would it use bomber or fighter perks? Maybe another way of doin this would be to create your perks category just for attack fighters.
just talk about random stuff but please stay on topic

Recently Touched By The Noodle! ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!
Pastafarian for life

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 03:06:53 PM »
I see where your going Lusche althought I question its effect. The perk values you have listed are really cheap for fighters. It might stop new or inexperienced players from suiciding. I think in the long run people would just stop carrying ordnance. I usually take bombs instead of DT's so I can bomb and go A2A after that. Most heavy fighters (in my eyes) ultimate goal is to kill aircraft. True you get base take folks taking out hangars and stuff with them tho. I will try anything once tho....

:D

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 03:10:42 PM »
Just curious Lusche.

Strip, I think that anti-suicider effect would be great.  I can't think of any negative consequences off-hand...
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 03:26:02 PM »
Exactly what is it your trying to fix, or improve, or change?
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 03:28:44 PM »
Interesting points I would agree with. My only concern is that perking ord may drive the game more towards being nothing but one giant furball & take away the incentive to fly anything but fighter sweeps.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 03:32:28 PM »
With regards to perks used for the ord would it be use of bomber perks or would it use your Fighter perks? An example say you want a P47N loaded to the gills would it use bomber or fighter perks? Maybe another way of doin this would be to create your perks category just for attack fighters.

Bomber perks. See "Getting perks" paragraph

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 03:34:16 PM »

Not fix... but promote diversity. Not taking simply the biggest bomb, giving an incentive of using genuine attackers / light bombers over fighters in certain situations.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 03:36:38 PM »

Diversity.  He is trying to encourage the use of "light" bombers vs. fighter bombers.

Back to the OP.

IMO >30mm weapons are underpowered against structures as it is.  The Yak-9T in particular.  The advantage of the Bf 110's gun package, and the N1K2 or Tiff/Temp or Hurri 2C, is a product of the amount of guns more than the size of an individual gun.  Even 6 .50s in a P-51 or F4U will take more buildings down than a single 37mm.

I would surmise that this is actually the effect of Hit % as much as anything.  More guns = more lead hitting the target more frequently.

Otherwise, interesting idea.  Only real objection would be why lose the perks if you still can manage to land?  Perk all ords and, at the very least, this would go further to discourage bomb and bail or bomb and auger sorties.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 03:37:47 PM »
I see where your going Lusche althought I question its effect. The perk values you have listed are really cheap for fighters.

Hmm.. I thought they were a tad too high already. ;) Note that a dropped bomb = spent perks in my version.

But of course I still see a lot of open questions. For example, many players around for a long time have thousands of bomber perks already and would'nt feel any effect for a long time.