Author Topic: I crave more competition!  (Read 8232 times)

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Re: I crave more competition!
« Reply #165 on: May 19, 2009, 06:20:26 PM »
Oh, really? So you're trying to tell us that you're part of the .0001% that isn't?

No AKAK....he is trying to tell you that I am not a virgin!  :devil

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline dev1ant

• Copper Member
« Reply #166 on: May 19, 2009, 06:30:19 PM »
What you do you expect?  WoW sucks and anyone that plays it is just basically a limp wristed care bear that was accurately portrayed as the character "Jenkins" in the "Make Love, Not Warcraft" episode of South Park. 

ack-ack

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you work for SOE on Star Wars Galaxies?
Deviant

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #167 on: May 19, 2009, 06:48:15 PM »
I've not really seen Greebo's flying style in action, however, Levi was a beast in our old and uber Spitfire Mk. Vc. Open question, what ENY was that back in the day?

The ENY on the old Spit V was quite good, because nobody flew it -- around 40 when I first started flying it. JASE and I "discovered" the plane many years ago after some intense dueling sessions.  Prior to that, folks mostly flew N1Ks and F4U-1Cs.  The Spit IX was always a very well-balanced plane as well, and I flew that for awhile.  I also flew the Typhoon back in the days when ManeTMP, Vulcan, and myself were the only regulars in it.

I've been around the block.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:00:00 PM by Dead Man Flying »

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #168 on: May 19, 2009, 06:49:31 PM »
What you do you expect?  WoW sucks and anyone that plays it is just basically a limp wristed care bear that was accurately portrayed as the character "Jenkins" in the "Make Love, Not Warcraft" episode of South Park. 

:aok

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2009, 07:07:03 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you work for SOE on Star Wars Galaxies?

Yep.  Note the key difference...worked on it, not playing it.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #170 on: May 19, 2009, 07:58:40 PM »
Levi, I overheard rumours that you played a bit of WoW yourself. Is this true? :noid

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #171 on: May 20, 2009, 01:07:25 AM »
Levi, I overheard rumours that you played a bit of WoW yourself. Is this true? :noid

Levi at the '08 Blizzcon in Anaheim cosplaying his Lvl 80 rogue.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #172 on: May 20, 2009, 02:01:50 AM »
My idea is simple, but would work for ME.

Stop the rank thing in the MA arenas and only let your own stat be accessible. No more "rank" dudes on the front page of AH

On the front page they could post winners of KOTH or other competitive events like that. They are more worthy of attention IMO.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #173 on: May 20, 2009, 07:30:55 AM »

Maybe.   :)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #174 on: May 20, 2009, 08:15:51 AM »
Heres an interesting idea why not go over to WOW and ask them to add planes? Then you'd have the best of both worlds?

Please let us know the response from the WOW folks.

Ren

You did not know WOW has a quest called Aces High in which you dog fight griffins? ( I am not joking)

The next major software task is to bring server based "H2H' arenas , I.E. the ability to start new arenas by paying users on our servers. Something like the OP describe has already been considered, but not decided to code or not.

What the OP is really asking for is geared to the people who use the dueling arena now. He assumes that it would drastically change the quantity of people who wish to play. While it may incrementally (I.E. small amount) increase subscriptions it could also hurt subscriptions.

The one thing this thread does clearly show is the lack of knowledge about who plays online games. I love the stereo typing of how "The people who play my game are much better"

The things I do like about the OP are that it is an idea to add to game play, and not force existing players to play his way, as so many other topics are.
It does not require a many people to reach critical mass like other ideas.

So while the OP is obviously overly optimistic about the effects I give this one a + on the idea scale.

Hitech

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #175 on: May 20, 2009, 08:21:23 AM »
You did not know WOW has a quest called Aces High in which you dog fight griffins? ( I am not joking)

Heh, yep.  It's good practice for Malygos, which uses the same vehicle mechanics in Phase 3.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #176 on: May 20, 2009, 09:44:56 AM »
So.. Maybe there could be an in-game display of the dueling ladder standings. Visible in the Lobby? Working roughly like the briefing interface that was planned for CT.  Have the standings displayed on a wall, and code things so that you could have those matches in the DA be (on the players' cue to the system, e.g. a dot command confirmation from all players involved) tallied towards the Dueling Ladder's standings.  Have them be invulnerable to anyone outside the match (like the "dueling instance" from AW (IIRC) that Murdr brought up) for the duration.

Make the ladder have divisions for 1:1, 2:2, and 6:6 (or something).. At least 1:1 and 2:2; those are the sure values IMO.  Put the leaders on the front page along with KOTH and SDL winners.. Next to the monthly rank winners as we have now.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 09:47:06 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #177 on: May 20, 2009, 09:50:02 AM »
So.. Maybe there could be an in-game display of the dueling ladder standings. Visible in the Lobby? Working roughly like the briefing interface that was planned for CT.  Have the standings displayed on a wall, and code things so that you could have those matches in the DA be (on the players' cue to the system, e.g. a dot command confirmation from all players involved) tallied towards the Dueling Ladder's standings.  Have them be invulnerable to anyone outside the match (like the "dueling instance" from AW (IIRC) that Murdr brought up) for the duration.

Make the ladder have divisions for 1:1, 2:2, and 6:6 (or something).. At least 1:1 and 2:2; those are the sure values IMO.  Put the leaders on the front page along with KOTH and SDL winners.. Next to the monthly rank winners as we have now.

bingo!   it will give the people who use the DA frequently a little structure to move away from the waste of space furball lake and hopefully improve everyones ACM who would participate in such a ladder system.

choose 5 planes from a pop up list before you spawn in?  air spawn? the finer details would need alot of work but wouldn't it be neat to join from the lobby where you can instantly lauch a duel and have a fight.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:05:37 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #178 on: May 20, 2009, 11:01:30 AM »

:aok :aok :aok :aok :aok
Quality suggestion. Finally someone posting with substance besides the 11 pages of closeminded xbox/wowcry.
I don't see how this would lose any subs. In fact it might just keep me and some of my squaddies actually subscribing. AH is a great game but it's getting a bit boring to me, this on the other hand would be a superb endgame and a compelling reason for me to stay.

I third this notion.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 11:13:10 AM by RumbleB »

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #179 on: May 20, 2009, 11:56:42 AM »
Agreed.........  And if any noobs make another WOW comparison they should be excluded from gaming here forever!!!

Besides..... 8 player would calm down the pilots that hate the present day game environment but without any ego boosts...........  So just ask for them to bring that back!   :rock

I agree with Motherland.  If you think egos are bad now...well...  Get my picture?  :aok
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.