Author Topic: An Open Question to HTC-  (Read 3621 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: An Open Question to HTC-
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 05:24:27 AM »

I've posted this question in another thread, but I figured I'd bring it to light out here in the open:

Why does HTC not use and abuse (figuratively) programming students from the local colleges as interens or at minimum cheap labor to correct issues of current game play, help model new aircraft and vehicles, develope new maps, and otherwise have around for other coding issues???  Just curious. 

One would think that the developement of AH2 would be that much progressive if there were more hands on coding.  I'm just saying.  :)

Oh, and before anyone jumps on the "theft of data" concern, there are ways to stop *any* info from being uploaded or sent without the consent of the powers to be (HTC).  While a concern, it would be minimal.

That would be like pouring my pint of Guinness at double the speed by adding some water. Yeah i get the pint faster but it tastes like urine.

S!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 05:27:07 AM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 05:32:51 AM »
That would be like pouring my pint of Guinness at double the speed by adding some water. Yeah i get the pint faster but it tastes like urine.

But so do all other UK beers  :D

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 09:15:32 AM »

S!

Guinness ... is a patient pleasure ... never to be rushed !!!

I can't help but stare a a freshly poured pint and watch the bubbles go downward ... and then watch the barman "top it off" ... MINE !!!
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 09:16:37 AM »
But so do all other UK beers  :D

Guinness != UK ... a proper Irishman would slap you for saying that.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 10:44:41 AM »
right on slap  :aok
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 01:21:33 PM »
It is obvious you are not involved in software development. Your assumption that a entry level coder would speed up development when your coding staff consist of 2 people is greatly flawed.

2nd your assumption that a collage student could assist in flight modeling again is flawed, because flight modeling is not a bottle neck for us.

Artwork is something we have contracted in the past, and may in the furture.

HiTech

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 02:07:27 PM »
Do you really want to drive a car designed by a student ?
Do you really want to check your bank account with a software designed by a student ?
Do you really want to go to ER and be examined by a student ?

Don't you think it's a good reason to not do so ?

That may be the best evidence I've yet to find that everyone should be forced to be an intern/low level worker (student or otherwise) at least once in their lives.  It is a fundamentally flawed mind-set, and one coming from someone who has never been in such a position.  Most larger offices are run (day to day tasks) by interns and low level staff.  Senior folks are ultimately responsible for large decisionsand projects, but rarely execute the nitty gritty aspects of them. 

This of course doesn't apply to HTC, since it is a small operation.  Intern labor is not to be underestimated.  You just have to be very selective with your interns, and treat them as you would any other employee.  They will work just as well, and you can get away with paying them 1/3 as much.   :aok

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 02:35:47 PM »
Don't think he meant have them take over the entire coding of the game. And I don't think that colleges inters are as stupid as you are making them seem. Do you think an inter on their last semester of college before graduating is any dumber than a person who got their degree a year ago, I wouldn't think its a noticeable difference. It's not like "Hey I'm out of school so that means I know everything."

Yes they are and IMO, new grads are an irritating money drain for whatever company first takes them on. It takes a newly employed grad years to get over themselves and start making money for the company they are supposed to be working for.
Retired

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 02:58:37 PM »
  This of course doesn't apply to HTC, since it is a small operation. 

Obviously it does and had you read the entire thread, before you posted, you would have known that.

Small companies with small staff have no time to be training new folks. One semi-trained individual could in effect cut down production by one third or more.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 03:36:51 PM »
Obviously it does and had you read the entire thread, before you posted, you would have known that.

Small companies with small staff have no time to be training new folks. One semi-trained individual could in effect cut down production by one third or more.

I did read the whole thread, and completely agree that interns would not be necessarily good for HTC.  Hence, "This of course doesn't apply to HTC, since it is a small operation."  My whole post was based on larger companies.  (The ones who would generally be designing your car, playing with your bank account, or looking at medical scans)

You misreading my post =/= me not reading the thread. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 03:38:35 PM by druski85 »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 03:47:08 PM »
I did read the whole thread, and completely agree that interns would not be necessarily good for HTC.  Hence, "This of course doesn't apply to HTC, since it is a small operation."  My whole post was based on larger companies.  (The ones who would generally be designing your car, playing with your bank account, or looking at medical scans)

You misreading my post =/= me not reading the thread. 

More like misconstrued....
I got it now.  :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline zoozoo

• Silver Member
      • http://myspace.com/zachisbackforasnack
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
It is obvious you are not involved in software development. Your assumption that a entry level coder would speed up development when your coding staff consist of 2 people is greatly flawed.

2nd your assumption that a collage student could assist in flight modeling again is flawed, because flight modeling is not a bottle neck for us.

Artwork is something we have contracted in the past, and may in the furture.

HiTech

Well said  :aok
Zoozoo
Jokers Jokers
zoozoo fighter ace issue one:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,240022.0.html

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 04:35:05 PM »
In software development, there are two things you need:

1. A generic understanding of software development processes and techniques.
2. An understanding of the problem domain.

Taking on an intern will get you someone partially skilled at (1) but almost certainly utterly hopeless at (2). In fairness, that would be true taking on a new full time employee as well, but with a full time employee you don't spend nine months getting them up to speed only for them to leave and head back to college.

Software development is not something you'll see much productivity improvement in by simply throwing bodies at the problem. Try reading 'The Mythical Man Month' for some great insights into the problem.

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 05:35:07 PM »
I would still like to know why they can't fix a known bug . One they have been aware of for over a year . They won't even reply to an email about it . Is there such a thing as too small ? Just like too big ? IDK but it seems that being unable to reply to questions about it , indicates too small , or just I  don't use it so I don't care .

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 05:48:17 PM »
If you don't mind me asking....

What kind of business do you own and operate?

I owned and operated a large Allstate insurance agency in SD for 8 years (agency revenue of $200k+).  I had 2-3 full time employees and about 6 mos out of the year I had another 2-3 student interns from the local university center helping with odd jobs around the office which included anything from lickin' stamps, to filing papers, to writing marketing letters, to ansering phones and perfoming policy changes (under the watchful eye of licensed personel).  They not only brought their own ideas into the office, but they brought some of the more recent ideas from the their classes on office management, marketing, organization, etc, etc.  Their "free" labor not just saved me lots of $$$ but more importantly to me it saved me time as I didnt have to spend any more time at the office.  LOTS more got done.

To the person who spoke of student talent or ability in a questionable light... mind you that some of the best and most forward thinking ideas in history have come from those students who had yet to have been tainted by the "real world".   ;)     
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 05:50:05 PM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.