Author Topic: How the hell do they do that?????  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
How the hell do they do that?????
« on: May 23, 2009, 09:36:55 PM »
Been playing since tour 69. Never had a trainer, never had time/patience for it. As such, I tend to be lower on the learning curve than I should be after all this time. What's really been bugging me lately is a maneuver that I can't seem to duplicate and I'm falling victim to it more and more lately. Goes like this: Head on merge, both craft immelman up, neither get a solution so both go up and immelman again. Now at the top of the second Immel' the other plane seems to stop and pivot down right into me. Almost looks like a hammerhead from my perspective. I see this a lot with ponies, hogs and jugs. How is this thing that I can only call a stall turn accomplished. When I try to dupe it all I do is wallow and stall. The opposing pilots seem to be able to accomplish this and come out with perfect control. What is this?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:38:58 PM by Bubbajj »

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Re: How the hell do they do that?????
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 09:44:12 PM »
Well one way to do it is too get flaps out on top.  If you are really slow you can chop throttle to avoid torque forces and just sort of hang there for a sec or two.  Personally, I use the torque to help my plane roll over on it's back if my target has stalled or is already going down. You have the stall limiter off right?
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 09:49:03 PM »
Sounds like you're going too slow into that hammer reverse at the top.  You need to do things earlier (i.e. spread out over more time) when you're that slow, so that you're not exceeding the amount of lift available. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 10:31:44 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 10:17:20 PM »
Turning off combat trim might help too. When slow at the top of an immel the CT tries to trim your nose up, and your plane kinda gets stuck in the air.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 10:38:56 PM »
Turning off combat trim might help too. When slow at the top of an immel the CT tries to trim your nose up, and your plane kinda gets stuck in the air.
Hmm I hadnt thought of that, I usually leave it on
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 11:01:39 PM »
Been playing since tour 69. Never had a trainer, never had time/patience for it. As such, I tend to be lower on the learning curve than I should be after all this time. What's really been bugging me lately is a maneuver that I can't seem to duplicate and I'm falling victim to it more and more lately. Goes like this: Head on merge, both craft immelman up, neither get a solution so both go up and immelman again. Now at the top of the second Immel' the other plane seems to stop and pivot down right into me. Almost looks like a hammerhead from my perspective. I see this a lot with ponies, hogs and jugs. How is this thing that I can only call a stall turn accomplished. When I try to dupe it all I do is wallow and stall. The opposing pilots seem to be able to accomplish this and come out with perfect control. What is this?

In the case of the Hogs they may be using inside rudder to haul the nose back around on you. The Corsair has a hulkin' big rudder and a TON of rudder authority even at low speeds to go with it, so even though the F4U can get a little mushy in extended looping fights she can roll over on you in a blink if the pilot knows how to work his flaps and rudder together. That's one of my favorite tactics after a nose-on merge if I've got speed to burn: Pull vertical and roll to put the target at the center of my up/forward-up view. Continue rolling to keep him there and kick inside rudder, with a notch of flaps as necessary. I'd say about 80% of the time I get a shooting solution after the first merge this way.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 06:26:54 AM »
Maby unloading a little before you go for the second or third merge would help.  I tend to do this too and since I tend to fly the 9U, there is a real incentive to keep as much e as possible.

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 07:28:21 AM »
yeah this is something that still nails me almost every time, and its really hard to see coming. you're pretty sure that you're both Co-E and pretty slow, yet the guy in your sights is suddenly pointing at you - like theyve pulled a 180 :uhoh
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 12:11:16 PM »
In the case of the Hogs they may be using inside rudder to haul the nose back around on you. The Corsair has a hulkin' big rudder and a TON of rudder authority even at low speeds to go with it, so even though the F4U can get a little mushy in extended looping fights she can roll over on you in a blink if the pilot knows how to work his flaps and rudder together. That's one of my favorite tactics after a nose-on merge if I've got speed to burn: Pull vertical and roll to put the target at the center of my up/forward-up view. Continue rolling to keep him there and kick inside rudder, with a notch of flaps as necessary. I'd say about 80% of the time I get a shooting solution after the first merge this way.
Is the reversal from serious nose up attitude to diving more a horizontal flat spin (hard to put this into words sans pictures) via the rudder, or more from elevs as something of a flap-assisted loop?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 12:44:23 PM »
From his description he said "Hammerhead," so my first thought was the opponent was in a nose-high attitude and swapped ends on him with some combination involving the rudder.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 04:20:39 PM »
I know exactly the move he's talking about.  If you were to go up into a normal immelman you'd follow the loop around and from the side it would look like almost a perfect circle.  From his plane he's probably watching the guy go up through his up or up forward view.  Now, instead of continuing the normal loop over the top, when the opponent plane approaches the top, it swaps ends and comes back directly at his cockpit from his up view.  I used to, and still do occasionally get nailed by this one.  I think it's more of a flap and rudder assisted wingover but I could be wrong.

This move used to be almost exclusive to P-38's but I've seen more and more planes using it lately including Jugs and 190's among others.

I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 04:37:32 PM »
^^ thats what I was trying to say
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 05:55:58 PM »
First, film is always great with these questions.  It's sometimes very tough to explain something when we only have your pov of what happened. 

You have to remember that he's not the only one moving which can tend to make things look different then they actually are and that's why it's essential to film.  When it happens again, make sure you save your film and then review it from the "fixed" position with trails on.  This way you can really see what he did and can learn to recognize it from your cockpit view.  For instance you may have seen the other airplane "stop and pivot straight down" when all he's really doing is a simple and easily controlled slow speed wingover or rudder reversal.

From your description he could be doing anything from a wingover, rudder reversal, or even just a forward bunt, it's hard to say.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 05:57:41 PM »
I think baldeagle nailed it. This is seriously irritating as I can't seem to do it. I'd be dangerous if I cold make my plane swap ends 180 at the top of a loop like that.

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 06:00:52 PM »
If someone could point me to a link that explains how to post the films I'll try to find one or two and post em up. I'll have to look into mace's suggestion about looking at it from both angles and with trails. An F4U pulled this on me the other day. I was in a zeke and that sucker came around on me from the top of a loop before I knew what the heck was going on. I need a trainer :(