Author Topic: Brewster Buffalo  (Read 8578 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Brewster Buffalo
« Reply #180 on: June 04, 2009, 07:57:33 AM »
Finland and maybe also Estonia might be the only countries not ashamed of their SS-men.

Is this really true?  I mean...really?

- oldman

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #181 on: June 04, 2009, 08:16:55 AM »

- oldman

Yes.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Whitey33

• Silver Member
« Reply #182 on: June 04, 2009, 08:31:54 AM »

- oldman

Yes.  Finns served in SS-Wiking, which was part of Waffen-SS, NOT part of Allgemeine-SS.
Wiking-division was elite fighting organisation. So why shame soldiers, whom fought hard and were part of elite?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Volunteer_Battalion_of_the_Waffen-SS

Quote from previous link:

"The battalion was praised by many Waffen-SS commanders, even Heinrich Himmler, for its combat performance. Himmler said "Where a Finnish SS-man stood, enemy was always defeated."[3] Moreover, the unit or its members were never accused of any war crimes."
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:42:02 AM by Whitey33 »
www.ilmavoimat.fi/index_en.php  Finnish Air Force

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #183 on: June 04, 2009, 09:28:46 AM »

Good example of the fact that the "commonly accepted" history writing is basically nothing but the victors view on how things went down. :)
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #184 on: June 04, 2009, 11:18:05 AM »
I would assume that is one version that we will be getting?
Kinda like the 39 is available in different country variations?
They were quit a few Buffalo's in SE asia.

RAAF B-339c&d which was basicaly the same as the Finn 239 version. Brit sight, beef up pilot protection, Navy equipment removed but .. stronger motor.<which were termed export as well.. strange>

For the KiWi's http://www.warbirdforum.com/fisken.htm NZ Brewster ace.

USNavy F2A-1, 2's 3's.
Pappy Boyington on the Brewster:
"It was a DOG!" "But the early models, before they weighed it all down with armorplate, radios and other ****, they were pretty sweet little ships. Not real fast, but the little ***** could turn and roll in a phonebooth. Oh yeah--sweet little ship; but some engineer went and ****** it up."

The Dutch had a few aswell

I always like it when we get new planes  :)
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #185 on: June 04, 2009, 11:38:36 AM »
In fact, Rich had a poor choice of words. At the end of the war (WWII), Finland actually lost some of his territory (that is, the ones it had before the Winter War) to the Soviet Union.

Ah did I forget to mention the Soviets took their slice back? Im sorry.
The first Brewsters began to arrive in Finland just before the Winter War ended. They did not arrive to the combat units in time for any action.

Yes thats true. I didn't actually say they fought in the winter war did I? No I didn't. But I could have been more clear, "late at night and hurrying".

IIRC, the declaration of war by the Western Allies on Finland was more just for show and to make Stalin happy than anything else,
Well thts one way to look at it. I know America and every other nation on eath declares war "just for show" :huh Another way to look at it is "the British bombed Finland cause they actually felt they were at war with Finland.

I THINK this is part of what actually drove the Finns into the alliance with Nazi Germany in the first place: They were abandoned by the West.
Another way to look at that is that the British and French were either defeated or on the verge of being defeated and simply couldn't offer any help. But truly in order to Understand Finland in WW2 you have to look past "image" and "spin" and look at "actions". Unless your a revisionist that is.
It was not a secret that Finns allowed German soldiers' "holiday transports" From Northern Norway to Germany and back through Finland. Norway was already fully occupied at that time, thus I see no knifing.

Yeah but I wonder what the Norwegians saw. :D
Finnish SS-men were trained in Germany in 1941 and they fought at eastern front, but their training had not ended yet when Barbarossa began. Since Finland was again at war, some officers were called back home from SS battallion. Among those was a young finnish leutenant, Lauri Törni, later known as Larry Thorne (many of you may have seen the movie Green Berets, where John Wayne plays Thorne's part)

Which means what Blauk? Someone paid an American actor enough money to portray a Finn?
The Finnish SS-men fought in Ukraine and in Caucasus. They returned home in 1943. They would have wanted to continue fighting together at Finnish front, but were instead spread out to existing units. Finland and maybe also Estonia might be the only countries not ashamed of their SS-men.
No doubt. Many in Japan and Germany aren't "ashamed" of their WW-ll soldiers. They did however eventually swear a personal oath to Adolf Hitler, wear the runes of an organization that committed monstrous crimes, and fight for a Dictator who started a war that took 50,000,000 lives. At best their active participation freed up other SS units to commit war crimes. All with the support of their own Govt. in Helsinki.

But I do understand the official Finnish position. Many Japanese consider their country a victim cause we dropped nukes on them in a war we started because we cut off trade with them due to their inhuman treatment of the Chinese and Koreans. Its all about "spin" aint it Blauk?

F
inland had declared neutrality all the time, not only after Barbarossa began. However it had also mobilized the army into its borders to defensive position, which was quite natural in that situation. Finland joined the attack against Soviets some weeks after Barbarossa began and Soviets had "techically started the war" against Finland a second time with its air strikes. Still there is no denying that Finland was planning to get back what was lost in Winter War.. and some more, if Germans were to be victorious. It was pretty much chosing between two evils when one cannot be left in peace.

Really? You dont think the Finns couldn't just tell Hitler, as Spain and Sweden did, they just didn't want to participate? BTW the Soviets didn't "technically start" the war of continuation. They allowed German combat units to launch attacks on Russia from their soil. Think America would give Mexico a pass if they allowed Cuba to attack us from their side of the border?
That agreement was made by Finnish president (cleverly) in his own name, instead of the government.
More spin. More image. More posturing. More B.S.

Again, no secret deal. When armstice with Soviets began, Germans were told that Finns will have to evict them.
Naturally Germans began to withdraw to Norway while Finns followed a day or so behind. At first here was no desire to fight the old brothers in arms who had helped to defend Finland against Soviets. Of cource there was bitterness among Germans and Finns were also forced to show some action to Soviets. Thus it became more real fighting.

So you think it was a "wide open" deal? They colluded in secret to make Stalin think the Finns were actually kicking the Germans out. That sound "secret" to you? Eventually the Germans threatened to shoot a bunch of Finnish civilians, whilst the Finns threatened to retaliate by shooting German POWs. On their way out the Germans committed a scorched earth to Finnish territory. So much for loyalty.
They had negotiated in Rovaniemi and secretly agreed that the advance of the Finnish troops would be timed to match with the Germans’ withdrawal schedule. On September 19 the 6th Division was ordered to start moving.
http://www.rajajoki.com/lapland.htm
Yes.  Finns served in SS-Wiking, which was part of Waffen-SS, NOT part of Allgemeine-SS.
Wiking-division was elite fighting organisation. So why shame soldiers, whom fought hard and were part of elite?

Again, because they took a personal oath of loyalty to  monster who killed 50,000,000 people and fought on his behalf in a criminal organization. We in the west have a different view of the SS then the "Master Race" Nordics do. Even of their combat units.
Good example of the fact that the "commonly accepted" history writing is basically nothing but the victors view on how things went down.
Good example of a guy who cant refute, or even comment on, that "commonly accepted history writing". :)

I'm glad we got to air all this out however. Some of these so-called historical comments of the Finns being "quasi-allies" fighting the same evil as we was beginning to irk me. As was the misconception that the Buffalo was a "Finnish bone", no doubt believed by my friend from Lappeenranta who decided he was "Buffalo thread commander". If anything it can be considered a bone thrown to the British commonwealth, who operated far more Brewsters then the Finns did.

Lastly, and I say this again, it is also true the Finns flew it bravely and with great skill during the War of Continuation. We'll never know to what extent but I think we can safely say all members of the Finnish armed forces fought bravely during this period.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 11:41:57 AM by Rich46yo »
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #186 on: June 04, 2009, 11:40:42 AM »
Well more "yeas" then "Nays" so Ill post shortly, and from memory.

Finland was in a complicated position as Europe moved towards war. They despised Stalin and were rightfully fearful of the Soviet Union which always had hegemonic designs on the mineral rich, and strategic, Finland. The Soviets even supported the losing side in the Finnish civil war of 1918. So there was no love lost there. To Hitler and his cronies Finland was not only an important source of minerals but also, in their minds, a fellow Aryan people.

Remember Hitler made a deal with the Soviets when they both invaded Poland, "the non-aggression pact"? What most people dont know is that Hitler signed away on Finland and the Baltic states belonging to the Soviet sphere of interest. That was the price of Poland for the Germans. Latvia,Estonia,Lithuania, ceded themselves to Soviet control. The price demanded of the Finns was a big chunk of their territory. The Finns resisted. The Soviets attacked them. The winter war had started.

Into this morass came a small number of Brewster Buffalos. Now as far as I know they were stripped due to American export Laws and then reassembled with mostly Yank kit except for the sights. Back to the winter war. The Finns survived but had to give large chunks of its territory to the reds and had to resettle a whole lot of their citizens. It was at this time that they pursued close relations with Hitler. Britain and France had just been defeated so it wasn't like they could turn to anyone else. So again you see, "complicated".

But at the same time the Finns allowed Germany to secretly move troops thru their territory on their way to occupied Norway in 1940, sticking a knife in their Nordic neighbor in the back. They started drafting for German SS units even before Hitler attacked Russia. After the attack, even tho they declared neutrality, they allowed Luftwaffe units to use their bases which cause the Russians to go to war with Finland again. The Continuation War had started.

During which Finland was about as allied with Germany as you can get. Hitler visited Finland. Finnish boys wore SS uniforms. Britain and Canada actually declare war on Finland. Finland allows German units to use its land mass to stage attacks. America threatens a war declaration if the Finns cut off the Murmansk supply chain to the Soviets, "now western allies".The Germans armed and trained the Finnish Military. The Finns annexed Russian territory. They were firmly in the German camp until Stalingrad, after which as you can imagine, they started having 2nd thoughts. From then on up to about the end of '44 the Finns played both sides. Accepting arms from Hitler while secretly negotiating peace with Stalin. Even tho they had promised Hitler they wouldn't.

Eventually in The Lapland war the Finns turned and attacked the Germans forcing them out of their territory into Norway. This was after making a separate, secret deal with Stalin. The beginning of this war was phony however, both the Finns and Germans only pretended they were attacking, "another secret deal". At least until Stalin found out and the shooting began for real, each side even threatening to kill each others POWs. Anyway the Nazi/Finnish love affair was over. Yes, the Finns fought both for, and against, each side during this war.

So on the one hand there is a small country desperately trying to find a way to survive. On the other hand there was a opportunistic nation playing each side for its own benefit. In their defense their choices were few, tho they certainly were allies of Germany. One thing they were not were allies of the west. While they bravely protected their Jews they also allowed the German to use American and Brit POWs to build roads and track in northern Finland where many perished due to the cold and ill treatment.
 Now heres a real historian. :lol

There were only a small number of Brewsters delivered to Finland, like 40 or 50 right? No doubt the Finns flew them bravely, "having your country invaded will do that", but the condition of the Soviet air force on that front, at the time, was simply atrocious. 1/2 was in the gulag and the other half was afraid of going there. The Germans destroyed almost their entire air force in the opening days of Barbarossa.

Still, and all things considered, both the airplane and the Finnish Pilots shined when their country desperately needed them. Of that there is no question.

Rich, it's nice to see someone gets it.  Please forward this to Masherbum.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #187 on: June 04, 2009, 12:16:12 PM »
Hmm.. I wonder why you had to try going personal. I thought we were discussing about history and not about people on this board :(

I said you wrote well and that I wanted to discuss details and nuances.

Which means what Blauk? Someone paid an American actor enough money to portray a Finn?
Just a curiosity... or something to point out that even the US army has a deceased hero with a "SS background". The movie is not about an ex-finnish soldier, but about an american one ;)

They did however eventually swear a personal oath to Adolf Hitler, wear the runes of an organization that committed monstrous crimes, and fight for a Dictator who started a war that took 50,000,000 lives. At best their active participation freed up other SS units to commit war crimes.
You can try to twist the SS issue as much as you want to. I could argue how A-bomb was a war crime and how evry US pilot helped in dopping it.... Like you said it is all about "spin" :p

Really? You dont think the Finns couldn't just tell Hitler, as Spain and Sweden did, they just didn't want to participate? BTW the Soviets didn't "technically start" the war of continuation. They allowed German combat units to launch attacks on Russia from their soil.
They could have, just like Poland did. Sweden and Spain were in quite different situation due to their location. Soviets were planning to attack Finland again already later in 1940, but Hitler's view had changed after the Winter War and he told Soviets he would not approve. That was partly because of the "holiday transports".

For Finns it was just a choice on whose side to fight against the other. The choice was obvious.

More spin. More image. More posturing. More B.S.
Obviously you have not read about Ryti-Ribbentrop agreement and the situation it was signed in. Where is the BS?

So you think it was a "wide open" deal? They colluded in secret to make Stalin think the Finns were actually kicking the Germans out.....
I meant that there was no secret deal between Finns and Stalin, like you claimed. Germans knew immediately that they would have to leave.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #188 on: June 04, 2009, 12:26:03 PM »
Good example of a guy who cant refute, or even comment on, that "commonly accepted history writing". :)

You truely are a piece of work. Just Wow.

I didn't want to get into this discussion on this thread. That is the reason I tried to get this into another thread. Because I didn't want this thread, discussing about new plane to be added in AH, to end up totally derailed. Like I've already said, I knew from personal experience that this thread would get out of hand quite quickly and it already has. You just weren't capable to understand that...and therefore uncapable to start another thread about it where all this could have been discussed and this thread could have continued to be about the aircraft in question, Brewster Model 239.

Trust me, I don't have any trouble to discuss Finnish history in the right forum and if need be make some comparisons that might prove just a tad unconfortable for you and just might drop you from your high horse.

Some of these so-called historical comments of the Finns being "quasi-allies" fighting the same evil as we was beginning to irk me. As was the misconception that the Buffalo was a "Finnish bone", no doubt believed by my friend from Lappeenranta who decided he was "Buffalo thread commander". If anything it can be considered a bone thrown to the British commonwealth, who operated far more Brewsters then the Finns did.

I can't recall any Finn saying that we were "quasi-allies".

Brewster Model 239 is American designed and built fighter aircraft and it's sole operator was Finnish Air Force. You can really twist that to any methaforical crap you wish.

fighting the same evil as we was

BHWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

"The same evil" ROFTLOL! :rofl

This is what I mean, you just digest any info you find without chewing on it at all. You can't see any shades of grey nor can you put yourself in other people's position and figure out reasons for the actions they took. There's really no use to try to have a discussion about anything with the likes of you.

Anyways,

I always get a chuckle when some clueless hypocrite amurrican such as yourself rides into a thread with his high white horse and starts laying down the moral and ethics on the actions of the evil, evil Finland in WWII. While your own country's population was thousands of miles away from the actual fighting, Finland actually had a real risk of ceasing to exist. Stalin's Fourth halted just couple tens of kilometres from where I live now. It is hilarious that the situation Finland was in doesn't really seem to register with you at all.

To anyone else,

I'm sorry I lost my cool and added some negative vibes on this forum. I usually try to avoid it. It's just that hypocrite individuals are sort of a pet peewe of mine.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 01:50:35 PM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline RAS

• Copper Member
      • http://flyingaces.bizland.com/54sq/main.htm
« Reply #189 on: June 04, 2009, 12:33:51 PM »
Anyway....looks like a good addition to the plane set.

From the pictures the view out the back might be pretty good ?  (Except for that huge rudder...hehe).

RASCAL

Offline Kotari

• Nickel Member
« Reply #190 on: June 04, 2009, 12:34:47 PM »
Rich,

I dont know whatīs your agenda there, but those "facts" you state, are nice example of how much different viewpoint can be from safety of living in a super power, compared to the life of a really small country next to a superpower.

I really am not going to argue with you about those "facts" because alot of those are matters of interpretion (Or thickness of the USA glasses).

The bottom line is, there was a plan to cut Finland in half in one week and march in to Helsinki in a couple days enjoying peopleīs thanks for saving us from evil capitalists in a parade.
No one answered to our calls for help, the western super powers ignored because they didnīt want to piss of Stalin.

So taking on ANY source of materials to keep the fight going for our indepence was more than welcomed.
After a few years struggle, thousands of lives lost and countless amounts of resources, we still have a country, our culture and our language.
And we also lost HUGE slice of our country + paid tremendous amounts of money to Russia (Also as a note, we were the only country after WW2 to pay all the dues)

So, call me a revisionist, call me a Nazi if you will, i really donīt give a hoot... but do that to the heroes who saved us from getting overrun ticks me alot.

Politics dont belong here, nor speculations of war history...
-=Die RammjÃĪger VIII=-
Lentolaivue 34

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults"

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #191 on: June 04, 2009, 12:46:24 PM »
BlauK & Kotari win

Let's have a tart :)

Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #192 on: June 04, 2009, 12:51:26 PM »

- oldman

I recommend this book to anyone interested in WW2: http://www.amazon.com/Loyalty-My-Honor-Gordon-Williamson/dp/0760300127
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #193 on: June 04, 2009, 01:02:16 PM »
BlauK & Kotari win

Let's have a tart :)

(Image removed from quote.)

Durned.. that is a "Runebergin torttu"  :lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runeberg%27s_tart

Named after this man:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_Ludvig_Runeberg

Where on earth did you dig that up? :) :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 01:06:09 PM by BlauK »

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #194 on: June 04, 2009, 01:06:18 PM »
Rich,

I dont know whatīs your agenda there, but those "facts" you state, are nice example of how much different viewpoint can be from safety of living in a super power, compared to the life of a really small country next to a superpower.
America wasnt a super power in WW-ll. I have no "agenda" but nice try. BTW our Revolutionary War is a good study of what Americans do when occupied by a hostile super power.

I really am not going to argue with you about those "facts" because alot of those are matters of interpretion (Or thickness of the USA glasses).
I know you arent going to argue anything. Nor will you probably participate in any meaningful way. My guess is you will spin, pose, and maybe lay a little revision on us.

The bottom line is, there was a plan to cut Finland in half in one week and march in to Helsinki in a couple days enjoying peopleīs thanks for saving us from evil capitalists in a parade.
The bottom line is there were many countries who were actually cut in half, were actually occupied, and actually never submitted to Hitler nor actively participated in his campaign as Finland did.
No one answered to our calls for help, the western super powers ignored because they didnīt want to piss of Stalin.
The "western powers" were either defeated or on the verge of defeat. Finland was at peace when Barbarossa broke out. By allowing German troops to use their soil, by allowing her sons to wear Nazi uniforms, Finland participated in Hitlers war of aggression far more then any need to protect herslf. What part if this cant you understand? Finland was an active participant in Hitlers war of aggression. Both her Govt. and her sons were.

So taking on ANY source of materials to keep the fight going for our indepence was more than welcomed.
The thing is tho you didnt. Finland was an active participant in wars of agression. You allowed German combat troops to stage attacks from your soil. You allowed them to transit on the way to Norway where they conducted a brutal oppression. Finland allowed her sons to not only wear the SS runes but to take a personal oath of loyalty to Hitler. "Course later they had a change of heart". :)
After a few years struggle, thousands of lives lost and countless amounts of resources, we still have a country, our culture and our language.
At any cost right? No matter who they had to ally with or do business with? And always ready to take advantage of changing situations while trying to hide their actions behind false words and spin?
And we also lost HUGE slice of our country + paid tremendous amounts of money to Russia (Also as a note, we were the only country after WW2 to pay all the dues)
What "dues"?

So, call me a revisionist, call me a Nazi if you will, i really donīt give a hoot... but do that to the heroes who saved us from getting overrun ticks me alot.
Actually I didnt "call you" anything. Up till I saw your post I didnt even know you existed. Nice try for sympathy however. Especially since I never insulted any Finn to begin with.
Politics dont belong here, nor speculations of war history...

Im not talking politics. Nor am I "speculating". This is what actually happened in the war. I am however going to leave the thread now because, again as history has shown, its going to turn into something quite different then it started as. I suggest anyone wanting to know more to research and come to their own conclusions.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"