Author Topic: A fundemental view on Weight and E state and its role in ACM  (Read 6795 times)

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
Re: A fundemental view on Weight and E state and its role in ACM
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2009, 01:37:37 PM »
A guy makes a post purporting Energy as it pertains to air combat maneuvering can be expressed using Einstein's mass-energy equivalence equation and a serious discussion develops?

There must be a hidden camera around here somewhere.

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2009, 02:05:11 PM »
A guy makes a post purporting Energy as it pertains to air combat maneuvering can be expressed using Einstein's mass-energy equivalence equation and a serious discussion develops?

There must be a hidden camera around here somewhere.
Nothing wrong with a cordial discussion.  The basic concept that the OP was getting at is correct and the transformation of kinetic into potential and back again is fundamental to maneuvering performance.  Compared to multiple ongoing threads on ho's, ack hugging, and gang banging, etc., etc., I think this is an overall good thing.   :D
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2009, 02:30:42 PM »
Guys,

I'd like to inject a little science into this discussion. The result may be surprising to some, and will demonstrate the truth of Mace's and dtango's excellent posts, and also explains Humble's contention in the original post that the much heavier A20 can outzoom a much lighter aircraft like the NIK2.

The first thing I hear you asking, is how can Mace, dtango, and humble all be right at the same time, they seem to be saying different things?

Just bear with me, I can show how they can all be right, and to do that I'm going to start with Newtons second law. f = ma. and we must resort to a little math, just to maintain clarity and credibility.

The expression f = ma  is read as, force equals mass times acceleration. So if you want to figure out how an aircraft will slow down when subject to various forces, Newton's law applied to the aircraft's body axis could be written like this:

T - D - W x Sin(theta)   = m a

where T = Thrust, D = total drag, W = Weight of the aircraft, m = the mass of the aircraft, a = acceleration and theta = angle of climb.

If you rearrange this equation you get:

a = g(T-D-W x Sin(theta))/W  ft/s^2

So you can work out the acceleration (or deceleration) given the thrust, the drag and the weight of an aircraft for any given angle of climb.

Now assume you zoom climb two similar aircraft at the same angle we can work out how they will decelerate as follows.

Firstly let’s assume a zoom climb at about 64 degrees so that Sine(theta) = 0.9 and also assume that g = 32 ft/s^2  Also for a single engine fighter beginning the zoom at 250mph I’m going to assume a thrust of 2000lbs and drag of 1000lbs

For a 7000lb aircraft

a = 32(2000-1000-7000x0.9)/7000  = - 24 ft/s^2

Which would mean an initial loss of 16mph every second.

Now do the same calculation for the same aircraft at 9000lbs Because this is the same aircraft, the thrust and drag will be similar (drag may be a little higher) the main difference will be the increase in weight, so:

a = 32(2000-1000- 9000x0.9)/9000   = - 25 ft/s^2

Which would mean an initial loss of 17mph every second

This shows very clearly that the heavier aircraft loses speed more quickly in a zoom climb. In practice the situation will be worse for the heavier aircraft, because even if they both pull into the zoom at the same g load, the heavier aircraft will still need to produce more lift to achieve that g and its lift induced drag will therefore be greater and its deceleration will be more than the calculation above indicates, because it ignores that stage of the zoom.

So, heavier aircraft is bad?  In that case, yes, but weight isn’t the only factor at play here, so let’s look at what happens if we consider a much heavier twin engine aircraft like the A20.

We now have 20,000lbs of weight, but we also have two engines, two props, and twice as much thrust! We will also have more drag, and in level flight a large chunk of the extra drag would be caused by all the extra lift needed to generate the 1g required to keep that 20,000lbs in the air. However, in a steep zoom at less than 1g, that becomes less important. For example, in a vertical zoom at zero g the induced drag for both aircraft would be zero, so I’m going to assume that the thrust for the twin engine aircraft doubles, while the drag remains the same, just for the sake of illustration. Of course that is far from the case in level flight, and profile drag would be greater, but if you disagree with my assumptions, just re-run the calculations with your own figures.

So, for the A20 we get:

a = 32(4000-1000-20000*0.9)/20000  = - 24 ft/s^2

Which is just as good as the 7000lb fighter and better than the 9000lb fighter.

That demonstrates why, for similar aircraft extra weight is always bad, but if you take the differences in thrust and drag for dissimilar aircraft into account you can sometimes get surprising results.

Hope that helps.

Badboy

The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2009, 02:38:18 PM »

Well my test shows otherwise. The non powered part we agree on. The full powered flight tests still produced a greater conversion of 15,000ft into a zoom climb by the havier aircraft.

That's because as you were pointing out to BnZs you did your tests independent of airspeed.  If you don't start at the same initial airspeed (and same altitude) then you've violated the rationale to be able to compare apples to apples.  For basic equations of motion initial velocity makes a big difference in determining what your final physical position will be.  Another way to put it as Mace says - differences in pilot technique :).  That's why BnZ's test's and your tests are different.

I actually had the same conception regarding mass (greater mass = lower energy loss) awhile back but after being contradicted by other very reliable sources of flight performance and physics and doing some further analytical study showed me a clearer understanding of why that premise isn't quite true.

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2009, 02:51:59 PM »
Thanks Badboy for the excellent post as usual sir.  Badboy demonstrates as I was trying to point out originally which is we need to take the complete relationships between thrust, weight, lift, and drag into account. 

He hit the nail on the head regarding the A-20 without having to resort to more exhaustive calcs to demonstrate which I was hinting at regarding not disregarding thrust ;).  Very very important to include all the variables into consideration as his simple calcs demonstrate.  Those two props on th A-20 make a lot more difference then what we may intuitively understand.

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs

Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2009, 03:09:34 PM »
I'm not "a guy", I've got an identifiable name you can use. 2nd i'm using a formula in a generically correct manner to try and quantify a concept that is tough for many to grasp. I also made it clear in the original post that I was inviting discussion and correction as appropriate...

Now a lot of factors come into play and Murder/WW or some of the other trainers might want to elaborate or correct this

It's a very valid topic overall and i have no problems at all with my thoughts being reviewed and corrected as appropriate. To date I haven't seen anything from you here of any real value.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2009, 03:13:15 PM »
Badboy,

thanks a lot, I knew we get a "sliderule" guy involved (recognizing both Mace and Dtango were on the same track). So When we look at more similiar planes like the nikki and jug or jug vs 109 how real is the "zoom" in my mind these planes have real demonstrated advantages both in game ans IRL....how large is the edge?

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2009, 03:36:53 PM »
Hmm, a very interesting and very informative thread!

A side topic that seems relevant here is the difference in "technique" used in the various zoom-tests.  This I think also accounts for a lot of the difference in perceived performance in the game.  In short, don't expect two pilots with identical planes to squeeze the same performance out of their rides, even when they both make a conscious effort to do so.  One may consistantly get different results due to a consistantly different technique.

When we see that one plane zooms better in the game, it's entirely possible that one pilot simply has better technique.  He's therefore able to get a plane to appear better than it really is when compared to another, at least in certain aspects.  Pilot "A" may get better zoom out of a 75% fuel P47 than pilot "B" gets out of a 50% fuel P47, due to technique.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2009, 03:39:10 PM »
Hmm, a very interesting and very informative thread!

+1 :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2009, 05:55:32 PM »
Some very informative answers, thanks to the experts for correting the geuss-perts like me.
S!

And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2009, 06:32:13 PM »
Thanks Badboy, Tango...I'd like to repeat my question though.

You have two airplanes that are similar in all of the "ratio" stuff (wing-loading, power-loading, thrust-drag). They'd have almost identical turn, climb, acceleration, and top speed right? But one is just plain bigger and heavier than the other. Would the heavier one possibly have some sort of advantage in zoom climb?

See, you hear about big, aerodynamically clean aircraft having an advantage in zoom all the time, even against smaller aircraft that may even have superior power-loading, the best example probably being the mock dogfight with a Spit described in Thunderbolt!. Is this hogwash? Now it has been demonstrated that adding dead weight to a Jug wouldn't make a better Jug, but stacking a Jug up against a Spit, it ain't just a Spit with 8,000 lbs of weight added...is the ratio of mass to total drag a significant positive factor in vertical performance at all?
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2009, 07:49:25 PM »
Wow,is all I can say,it's been way too long since a civil,imformative thread as this has been posted!

Mace, Humble, Tango and BB thx for the imformation provided,this has cleared up some misconseptions that I had and I'm sure others had. :aok

And snap,I'll still fly with "ballast" cuz they only get better lighter..... :rofl

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2009, 08:03:08 PM »
 If you don't start at the same initial airspeed (and same altitude) then you've violated the rationale to be able to compare apples to apples.  

Hey tango, sorry to cut this sentance out and pick at it! I have a another question. Seeing as the title states 'Weight and E state and it's role in ACMs'; Are my tests not a more accurate depiction of 'weight and E state' than an equal speed climb test?

Here is my understanding of the theory.

1) The two P47s in BnZs' test started at equal altitude and equal speed. Thus the heavier loadout has less E as the only part that counts is climb rate and power/weight ratio.

2) If both P47s are at 15,000ft at equal speed, the heavier loadout has more E.

So applied to aces high, with regard to the boom and zoom tactic (almost always involving a diving attack) the heavier loadout on two identical aircraft performs better? If the two aircraft start at equal altitude and equal speed then the control is still present in the experiment. Apples to apples, so to speak.

edit: Also, if you watch the speeds in the test I posted, they are very similar at the zenith of the dive. The difference seems to be in momentum carried into the zoom?
 On the powered tests I even made the lighter loadout a slightly less G intensive pull out and it still topped out slightly before the heavy.

I'm not arguing, just trying to get my very basic understanding fine tuned by you guys.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 08:10:11 PM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2009, 08:22:41 PM »
Nice shot.

I'm still impressed.

HONK!
Gooss
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 08:28:15 PM by Gooss »
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2009, 08:31:47 PM »
The A-20 has the easiest gun view in the game IMO, somehow that center bar just makes things so intuitive. Add in the ammo load and center mounting and its pretty deadly out at 800 or farther. I still get surprised by it when I'm on the other side of the equation. Cobia kit me up at almost 1.0 the other week.... :salute