Author Topic: Damage calculation..  (Read 928 times)

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
Damage calculation..
« on: June 14, 2009, 03:54:01 PM »
I cant help but notice, than in AH our CVs are more resistant to ord (bombs and rockets) than they would be in real life, but on the flip side, they can be strafed to the bottom by a gaggle of cannon birds..  which I think would be next to impossible in real life..

my question is..   is damage over time = to instant damage..

example:

you take a 1/4 sheet of steel, lay it across 2 supports, and strike the middle of it with a hammer 100 times, delivering 10 foot pounds of force with ever blow, in total you have delivered 1000 foot pounds of force over time.

now

you take a 1/4 sheet of steel, lay it across 2 supports, and strike the middle of it with a hammer 1 time, delivering 1000 foot pounds of force with 1 blow,  in total you have delivered 1000 foot pounds of foce, instantly.

now after the first test, you would probably merely cause some scratching on the steel, as it can easly withstand blows of 10 foot pounds pretty much indefinitely.

however in the 2nd test you would do much more damage (big dent or a hole)  as the steel cannot withstand a sudden shock of 1000 foot pounds.

not the actual numbers are arbitrary, just there for the sake of what Im getting at..

but you get the idea..  a fighter or fighters delivering say 10,000 hit points on a carrier/building over the course of several strafing runs, should not be able to do nearly the same damage as a single bomb delivering 10,000 hit points.

I would think the same would even apply to ammunition.. I.E. assume 10 50 cal rounds deliver as much damage total as a single tater (i know they do not, that isn't the point)  1 tater should still deliver more damage due to all the damage arriving at once, instead of over time.

See what Im getting at?   I know its rather random and odd, but its just something I was thinking about.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Damage calculation..
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 04:12:27 PM »
So you are also saying, say with bombs...
4 1000 lb bombs hit the CV, one every 2 minutes...or, one 4000 lb bomb hits the CV, all at once.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 04:21:39 PM »
So you are also saying, say with bombs...
4 1000 lb bombs hit the CV, one every 2 minutes...or, one 4000 lb bomb hits the CV, all at once.

I would thin so yes..   

in AH if you dropped 1 500 pound bomb on the bow, and 5 min later another on the stern, you would have done as much damage (points twoards sinking it, not to the armorments)  as 1 1000 pound bomb to the center..  but in reality, I think a single 1000 pound egg would be more prone to cause  catastrophic damage I.E. a breach in the hull that would ultimately lead to sinking,  than a pair of 500s dropped on different areas of the ship at different times..

kinda like boxing..  a good fighter can take jabs through 12 rounds and stay on his feet, but even the best can be leveled by 1 solid right hand.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 04:28:11 PM by Wingnutt »

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 05:00:21 PM »
However that hammer isn't:

A ) Penetrating the steel.
B ) Exploding AFTER penetration.

That's what the AP munitions used against enemy shipping did. That 500lb bomb is punching a hole through the deck and exploding within the hull. I'd almost see two 500lb blasts on opposite ends of the ship causing MORE damage as a result, because you're having internal explosions tearing through two different parts of the ship, rather than one explosion contained within one area.

Actually, I'd like to see separate HE and AP bombs available in the hangar. HE would be more effective against hangars/etc, while AP would be better against shipping and GVs.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 05:11:10 PM »
Wingnutt,

I totally agree that the way damage is applied seems pretty wonky, at least as far as a CV is concerned.  I've always thought that it was a little weird that a gaggle of 110s could sink an aircraft carrier.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 06:55:11 PM »
Wingnutt,

I totally agree that the way damage is applied seems pretty wonky, at least as far as a CV is concerned.  I've always thought that it was a little weird that a gaggle of 110s could sink an aircraft carrier.

No less weird than a gaggle of Dauntlesses sinking FOUR front-line carriers....

:noid
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 08:42:26 PM »
Simple answer:

It's a game.

You can't equate everything to real life so much all the time.  Too much math, I think.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 10:09:02 PM »
Simple answer:

It's a game.

You can't equate everything to real life so much all the time.  Too much math, I think.

wrongway

Oh I know, and Im not even advocating a change..  how fun would it be to spend X hours getting a carrier into position to strike a base only to have a lone suicide P51 rocket in and deliver a 1 hitter quitter..   to hell with that.

it was just something that was rolling around in my head.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »
No less weird than a gaggle of Dauntlesses sinking FOUR front-line carriers....

:noid

he was referring to 110s with the heave gun pack and no bombs.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 10:12:08 PM »
Simple answer:

It's a game.

wrongway
Yeah, it's the same reason we don't have HE and AP for tanks, to complicated to model.

Oh wait... :noid

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 10:39:38 PM »
If you want to see a game that uses force over surface area and supports, look at Red Faction: Guerrilla:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE5ecIpTEb4

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 12:02:32 AM »
he was referring to 110s with the heave gun pack and no bombs.

True...  Although 30mm guns hit pretty hard, I have a hard time thinking that they could have really sent a CV to the bottom...

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 05:27:35 PM »
AH2's CVs are so ahistorical in every other way (just for one, you can instantly up as many planes as you have pilots without the extremely time-consuming task of bringing them up to the flight deck on elevators, which in WW2 were in the middle of the flight deck, and spotting them for takeoff), it seems a little silly to complain about just one unrealistic aspect. The CVs are ahistorical because the game is more fun that way.

In fact, keeping the above example in mind, you could just think of it as reflecting the fact that our CVs always have armed and fueled aircraft on the flight and hangar decks. Twenty or thirty wrecked and burning planes with flaming avgas pouring through every opening to the lower decks and bombs and torpedoes cooking off left and right would either sink any WW2 carrier or reduce it to a floating pile of burned-out rubble, which in game terms would amount to the same thing.

Also, while a thousand 30mm rounds wouldn't sink a CV, they would tear up the flight deck to the point where flight ops would be impossible without major repairs, which, again, has the same effect in game terms as sinking it.

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 08:13:35 PM »
I don't think its fair to say that 30mm damage couldn't sink a real CV. I'm sure if enough rounds, whatever number that is, were to hit a spot and possibly open up a hole, what would happen after water, more rounds, sparks, etc. entered that hole is anyone's guess. Would depend on the spot its opened along the hull and the damage control squad aboard. One of the reason American carriers were able to withstand such a beating were because our damage control teams far outclassed their opponents. Even when the Yorktown was lost it still lasted much longer than what should have been the case. After the first strike where 3 bombs hit it square on the top, they had flight resumed in less than 2 hours.

YES it would be highly unlikely that enough planes would get in close enough to create the above mentioned damage, but not impossible.  ;)
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 09:28:50 PM »
CV hulls constantly repair themselves. Guns, parts, radar, etc, do not (not for a long time) but if you drop 90% of the amount needed to kill a CV, and come back 5 minutes later and drop 20% more, the CV will probably still be floating. By the time you got back with the second load, the repairs would have taken it down to 60%, 70%, whatever.

It's bloody fast.

You have to sink a CV in one outing, or plan on doing it all over from scratch. If you don't sink it, for the luvva pete at least light the candle!