Author Topic: Damage calculation..  (Read 923 times)

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
Re: Damage calculation..
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 12:50:02 AM »
I don't think its fair to say that 30mm damage couldn't sink a real CV. I'm sure if enough rounds, whatever number that is, were to hit a spot and possibly open up a hole, what would happen after water, more rounds, sparks, etc. entered that hole is anyone's guess.

No way. 30mm HE sure is quite powerfull against thin skinned aircraft, but it utterly useless against 60-100mm armour.
Crew, unarmored guns, various stuff at fly deck, mb fly deck itself can be affected, but not a hull.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 04:12:06 AM »
No way. 30mm HE sure is quite powerfull against thin skinned aircraft, but it utterly useless against 60-100mm armour.
Crew, unarmored guns, various stuff at fly deck, mb fly deck itself can be affected, but not a hull.

Not directly, but get enough fires going and the ship is either dead or a floating scrap heap. IIRC none of the bombs that killed the Japanese CVs at Midway penetrated past the hangar deck; the ships were turned into blazing hulks from the fires started among the planes, ordnance, and fueling equipment on the flight and hangar decks, and were either sunk by their own magazines exploding or scuttled with friendly torpedoes. U.S.S. Franklin took similar damage in 1945 and, while skilled damage control barely enabled her to stay afloat, she took months to repair and was out of action for the rest of the war.

AFAIK the question of whether strafing a CV with armed and fueled planes on the flight deck could produce similar results was never put to the test, but it doesn't strike me as out of the realm of possibility - especially if you include the possibility of some rounds getting through to the hangar deck, given that none of the US CVs or, with one exception, the Japanese CVs that saw significant action had armored flight decks or hulls armored up to the level of the hangar decks.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 06:50:31 AM »
most annoying result of the damage model is fighters strafing gvs.

a fighter lands 70 .50cal rounds on a T-34, which would scratch the paintwork but could never pentrate the armour. a tank then fires a single 75mm AP round into the T-34 which destroys it. the fighter gets the kill because his 70 .50cal rounds do ~82lb damage equiv vs the 78lb damage equiv of the AP round. :furious
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline GreenEagle43

• Copper Member
      • http://www.dickweedhbg.com
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 07:08:49 AM »
See Rule #11
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 07:21:42 AM by Skuzzy »
Recruiting Officer GrnEagle  DHBG
Dedicated to Bish Country. 16 YEARS of BOMBER SERVICE

AN Aces High BOMBER SQUADRON. www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 07:14:25 AM »
IMO there has been something wrong with the CVs ever since the last update. I have a film where showing that the CV is actually in a diffent spot then what i'm seeing. Me and some squadies bombed this thing constantly for a good hour. I made 3 trips myself, before a sunk it with my 3000lbs. After reviewing the film, the cv is just not where i fired my rockets and bombs!
This has happened to me several times before but i never filmed those. Between the dry spawns, super 20k ack and the ability repair itself ..................... :noid
Lighten up Francis

Offline F111

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 06:44:29 PM »

Anything can sink a CV in RL (or almost sink it) even a flare (USS Oriskany (CV-34) 26 October 1966.
Or USS Forrestal (CV-59) 29 July 1967 a single rocket.
Would not be funny in a game as someone has pointed out.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 07:20:12 PM »
Anything can sink a CV in RL (or almost sink it) even a flare (USS Oriskany (CV-34) 26 October 1966.
Would not be funny in a game as someone has pointed out.

true, thats kind of a moot point though in AH, as the aspect of exploding ord and fuel are not calculated..

through it would be sweet to hit her with a bomb and as your pulling off see secondaries.

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 02:32:32 AM »

Neither Oriskany nor Forrestal sunk from that accidents.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 11:27:06 AM »
IIRC none of the bombs that killed the Japanese CVs at Midway penetrated past the hangar deck; the ships were turned into blazing hulks from the fires started among the planes, ordnance, and fueling equipment on the flight and hangar decks, and were either sunk by their own magazines exploding or scuttled with friendly torpedoes.

:aok Exactly my point about the damage control team. Japanese crews were not up to snuff and had little chance to save their flat tops. Plus if you look at a WWII Japanese carrier, its design looks like it just lends itself to being pummeled.
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 11:39:55 AM »
  Plus if you look at a WWII Japanese carrier, its design looks like it just lends itself to being pummeled.

Are you referring to the gigantic red "drop bombs here" meatballs painted on the flight decks?  :D
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."