Author Topic: AFK Tower!  (Read 2198 times)

Offline HB555

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: AFK Tower!
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 04:06:24 PM »
And of the ones I played if I wished to stay in with out getting a time out I could.

HiTech

Back to work, hitech.
You know you can't change minds with logic or business points of view, and we are eagerly awaiting the beta test.  :D
Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
Not being combative, just curious, but it really bothered you that you got logged off from the server when you were gone for a long time?  I suppose the most annoying part would be logging back in, but that's not that bad...

...unless you're cap'd out.  :uhoh

Offline PK1Mw

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 04:18:43 PM »
I go afk quite a bit and do stuff around the house, but the people that are advocating this change aren't interested in saving HTC money or bandwith. Those individuals are only asking for this change because it affects the way they want to play AH and they don't want to fly a plane with lower ENY or switch countries.

Unless someone can put forward concrete numbers, I think it is safe to assume the 'afk crowd' is roughly consistent between countries and cancel each other out.

I can understand this, however ENY was put in to even things out. I go afk quite a bit, sometimes for hours, forgetting I was logged in. Do I feel that whatever country I'm on at that point in time should be penalized for my bad habits? No. Why not put the timer on there, to actually help the ENY issue, as well as help people who actually want to fly, get into that arena? How many threads in the passed 2 weeks have been started because of the limitations on the arenas?

There's more to this, than just the ENY. Even if there wasn't, the ENY should have been enough reason to do it.

Offline CHAPPY

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 04:30:46 PM »
that would be easy to get around, you just up  a gv and sit in  a hanger some where while your AFK. :x

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 06:04:35 PM »
And of the ones I played if I wished to stay in with out getting a time out I could.

HiTech

But would it be possible to do that in AH if there was an auto-timer?  Other MMO's let you circumvent it with the use of macros, something I don't think AH supports.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
Arena caps is what you'd think this wish was for..
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 06:20:08 PM »
I can understand this, however ENY was put in to even things out. I go afk quite a bit, sometimes for hours, forgetting I was logged in. Do I feel that whatever country I'm on at that point in time should be penalized for my bad habits? No. Why not put the timer on there, to actually help the ENY issue, as well as help people who actually want to fly, get into that arena? How many threads in the passed 2 weeks have been started because of the limitations on the arenas?

There's more to this, than just the ENY. Even if there wasn't, the ENY should have been enough reason to do it.

:aok

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 07:52:35 PM »
Could care less about the afk guys affecting #s. Just not really fair for someone to be on all day afk, and a guy getting on after work or something and not able to fly with squadies.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 08:06:24 PM »
Delirium
I go afk quite a bit and do stuff around the house, but the people that are advocating this change aren't interested in saving HTC money or bandwith. Those individuals are only asking for this change because it affects the way they want to play AH and they don't want to fly a plane with lower ENY or switch countries.

I think your 90% wrong and 10% right.  I would advocate the auto boot in the interest of fairness.  You know some guys log in before they go to work, to ensure their spot in the busiest MA.  That's around 9 to 10 hours.  No big deal to me because I log in off peak but later on others can't get in.  If I log out 5pm my time (GMT) I'll not be able to get in until nearer 7pm.  So every evening I'm afk for dinner for 1 to 2 hour.  Would it bother me if I was auto booted after an hour?  Not in the least because I know I'm selfishly taking up a spot an active player could use.

Unless someone can put forward concrete numbers, I think it is safe to assume the 'afk crowd' is roughly consistent between countries and cancel each other out.

Cannot agree more except on the odd reset occasion when the plebs jump arenas for perkies. 

hitech

How long ago?  How many arenas and were the arena player numbers like your game?

No biggy to me personally and I'm fully aware its your business but I think (no substantiated proof, figures blah blah) the vast majority of users are adult enough to accept being booted after an hour of inactivity (no joystick or keyboard commands).  I'm just spouting off in the interest of fair play ol boy. :D

CHAPPY
that would be easy to get around, you just up  a gv and sit in  a hanger some where while your AFK.

As above base inactivity criteria on mouse, stick and keyboard commands.  If none are moved for 1 maybe 2 hours....ping.... hello lobby  :aok

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 08:09:43 PM by LYNX »

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 08:17:39 PM »

As above base inactivity criteria on mouse, stick and keyboard commands.  If none are moved for 1 maybe 2 hours....ping.... hello lobby  :aok

but then the 35K lank drivers will actually have to sit there and twitch the mouse now and then during their 5 hour climb out across the map....   HA!!!   best idea....  EVAR!!!!

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2009, 08:54:23 PM »
You know some guys log in before they go to work, to ensure their spot in the busiest MA.  That's around 9 to 10 hours.  No big deal to me because I log in off peak but later on others can't get in. 

That is such a selfish and rude mode of behavior that I would support the change just to punish it.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 08:56:28 PM »
That is such a selfish and rude mode of behavior that I would support the change just to punish it.

this.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 09:11:38 PM »
Back to work, hitech.
You know you can't change minds with logic or business points of view, and we are eagerly awaiting the beta test.  :D

HiTech didn't provide any logic for why an inactivity timer would be bad for the customer or the business.  Quit sucking up! :D Maybe there is a good explanation though?  I don't want to be completely ignorant here with my head in the sand, I asked in my OP, for anyone to speak up who would have a problem with an inactivity timer and comment on why. 

Like Del said, most of these requests deal with a selfish motive regarding the request, but I honestly don't have one.  I always hear people whining about the caps and I don't really ever have a problem getting into the arena of my choice and have never griped about the caps, only defended them.  I do however, think this would help a little bit getting into the arena of your choice during primetime for those who have problems getting in. 

And also Del, I understand that you are going to be jumping around doing random stuff around the house which is why I didn't throw out some unreasonable inactivity timer out there like 15 minutes or something.  I think an hour is fair and anyone who doesn't think it would be should enlighten me.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 09:23:20 PM by grizz441 »

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 09:33:34 PM »
What reason is there to prefer filling your servers with paying customers that are idling, instead of paying customers that are playing?  Isn't that like selling pastry with more rather than less air?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2009, 09:41:34 PM »
It almost seems like HTC is walking on egg shells with customers with this particular issue.  Perhaps they don't have enough faith in the average customer to understand the logic behind booting you if you have been afk for a while? 

Can you imagine it?  "What! I left this derned thing logged on 5 hours ago and it kicked me off, I'm cancelling my account!"