Author Topic: Observations from a guy new to AH(38 driver)  (Read 3038 times)

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
Re: Observations from a guy new to AH(38 driver)
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2009, 08:54:09 AM »
Heya Mav.

I just started AH between 3 and 4 weeks ago after not playing a sim since AW, and I'm finding that throwing the 38 around in AH is lot tougher to do.  Some of these guys can really move the bird when slow like it's nobody's business.

There's definitely a learning curve, and lack of playing for 10 years will be apparent, but after a few weeks, you should be pretty comfortable in it.

Welcome back :)

+mir

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2009, 09:51:20 AM »
LOL it could be that Mav is to blame for for my 'flying' as his was the first squad I was ever in, back in Airwarrior :)

Dan never made "sacrificing the airframe for the sparing the blender" so entertaining. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2009, 10:19:56 AM »
Hmmmm I need to have a blender installed in Mav's bird ASAP.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2009, 12:53:36 PM »
Heya Mav.

I just started AH between 3 and 4 weeks ago after not playing a sim since AW, and I'm finding that throwing the 38 around in AH is lot tougher to do.  Some of these guys can really move the bird when slow like it's nobody's business.

There's definitely a learning curve, and lack of playing for 10 years will be apparent, but after a few weeks, you should be pretty comfortable in it.

+mir

--)--Salute---

from the Muskies, gents!

o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2009, 02:08:57 PM »

1) The 38 is....

I am far from an even mediocre 38 driver in AH, but in AW, it was my main ride.

From a coading perspective (yes, we misspell it on purpose), I have no idea why, but it doesnt move anywhere near like it did in AW. 

For example, the "over the top" capability is greatly reduced.  Flaps out in AW meant you could play with Zeke's.  Not so here - although more historically accurate by all accounts.

When I think back to my first couple weeks here, which were primarily spent complaining to my old AW squadies about how "inaccurate" the 38 was, I came away with a strange epiphany that, I think, served me well in terms of bridging the understanding gap between how AW works and how AH works.

Weight.

In AW, I dont know about you, or maybe Ive just forgotten, but I couldn't feel the weight of an aircraft.  The 190A8 simply didnt turn well.  The Spit9 did.  The 190 never felt "heavier" to me.

In AH, Dale & Co. have really done a truly outstanding job creating a "feel" for weight. 

With the AW 38, you'd merge, pull over the top, roll upright, pull over the top again and come down on an opponent as quickly as you could make the angle changes, burning E to gain angles, knowing that just about every other AC in the set couldnt follow.

In AH, that big, heavy, twin-engine, light-bomber (38, we're talking about) will zoom climb forever and, when you need to hang on the props, there its the best there is.

It may sound silly, but Im just throwing it out there since it helped me.  Once I learned to consider the weight of various aircraft, that made a massive difference in how I attempted to engage other in AH.

Best of luck and, as always, you will find most players more than willing to help - not to mention our official training staff, which is outstanding.

+mir

Ah the dreaded "+"  ;) 

Many of your compatriots floating around here under different names.  Welcome.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:10:30 PM by Saurdaukar »

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2009, 02:42:24 PM »
Heya Mav.

+mir

How ya doing Mir, I don't know if you remember me or not, welcome back!
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2009, 08:16:19 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  :)

I remember you madda; I actually remember a lot of the people still playing.  It's been 10 years, but it feels like an extended weekend away, albeit one that took away all of my ability!  :)

I've seen lots of Muskies up, and CorkyJr (+Tiff) was telling me about people that are still here.

It's a lot of fun to be back, and really cool that a lot of the same community has stuck around!

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2009, 08:29:56 PM »
Hmmmm I need to have a blender installed in Mav's bird ASAP.

i went lookin around in the cockpit......i didn't see one in mine.......... :cry :cry
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2009, 08:32:15 PM »
ROCKY was up the other night Cap.  He's been around for a long time in AH

could ya do me a favor?

i never really go to the lw arenas unless it's with you  guys on a SAPP night.......if ya see him up, tell him i said hi....and maybe come to mw for a fight or five?

i remember fighting him in AW in 38's. they were probably the absolute most fun fights i had back then. i was FGHT6 in there.............

thanks!!
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Mav

• Zinc Member
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2009, 08:36:49 PM »
Wow.  There are a TON of people I recognize on this thread. Thanks for the welcome.  The one great thing that AW had was a community.  I guess all we had was each other and the ewes.

Ogden aces, muskies, 356th.....Some great squads back in the day that I remember.

Maverick
Aka "Mav", Aces High
Aka "Mav", Air Warrior
24th Skull Fighter/Bomber Squadron

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2009, 08:37:49 PM »

I remember you madda; I actually remember a lot of the people still playing.  It's been 10 years, but it feels like an extended weekend away, albeit one that took away all of my ability!  :)

I've seen lots of Muskies up, and CorkyJr (+Tiff) was telling me about people that are still here.

It's a lot of fun to be back, and really cool that a lot of the same community has stuck around!

Holy Crap!!  I didn't realise that CorkyJr was  Tiff, wow. 

Is +Craz around here that anyone knows about?
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Mav

• Zinc Member
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2009, 08:43:43 PM »
Quote from: Guppy35
LOL it could be that Mav is to blame for for my 'flying' as his was the first squad I was ever in, back in Airwarrior

I was just a marginal pilot in AW,  I just surrounded myself with great guys(and pilots) and made sure they flew in the right direction.  You should know somethings wrong though when I go over my briefings I never discuss the whole "when we land" process.   :rolleyes:
Maverick
Aka "Mav", Aces High
Aka "Mav", Air Warrior
24th Skull Fighter/Bomber Squadron

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2009, 07:05:59 AM »
It's a blessing to have 38 Pilots a plenty.  For those of us that fly the Jug.....we aren't the biggest target in the area

when the 38s arrive :aok
- The Flying Circus -

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2009, 07:56:29 AM »
pffft Hajo! you should try flying my mossie a few sorties, after that you'll feel like a spitfire in that tiny cute little jug :p
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline --)SF----

• Copper Member
      • Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2009, 09:03:26 AM »
Always good to see some old friends, glad you're here.

It's been 10 years, but it feels like an extended weekend away, albeit one that took away all of my ability!  :)

I hear ya bro, just started flying after 10 years off myself, having a great time of it though!