Author Topic: Gaming the game  (Read 3923 times)

Offline Scratchman

• Copper Member
Re: Gaming the game
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2009, 05:02:04 PM »
Scratchman you fly respectually and I never see you badmouth anyone, I think we could all read a page of your book and benifet.
Thank you Belial, and I respect all who play this great game. Never been much of a "fragger", so I'm not starting now. WMLute, I respect you as a player, and one who contributes to the boards as well. So I wish you well.
Proud member of the Ground Pounders. Pounding our way to victory!

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2009, 05:18:52 PM »
Ah another pile-it who thinks time in game equates to respect or knowledge.

2 quick things.

First to scratch.  The "you" was an "in general" and not directed to you yourself as a player.  Wasn't a slam on you as I can't say what type of a pilot you are off the top of my head so I wouldn't be able to comment on your ability.  Wasn't personal and I hope you don't take it as such as that was not my intent.

Now to kilo2.

Yes actually.  To a large degree I do think that.  I think it is import. to honor those that went before us and who prob. have forgotten more than we will learn about this little hobby.   Without them there IS no community or game for us to fly.  I remember when I saw GrayEagle (GE) start flying again last year (ish?  was it last year?) and I made great pains to make sure to <S> him, told 'em how great I thought he was (even announced to all the players online at the time we were in the presence of greatness) and passed it on to my squad to look out for him and help 'em if he needed it.

Why did I do that?  He deserved it.

These are the players whose shoulders this community was built upon and they deserve our respect.

I also think that the time/effort that a player gives back to the game and the community is worthy of respect.  Players that log untold hours working in the AvA, TA, or the SEA.  Those players deserve respect as well.  They have shed blood sweat and tears for this game and deserve it.

I can't tell you how much respect I have for these players.  The Daddogs, 68Falcons, Ghosths, and too many to name in one post.  We HAVE a community and a great game to play because of their efforts.  (waves to TC, you on that list too buddy)

Heck, I'm sure WideWing looses more knowledge about WW2 airplanes when he sneezes than I will ever know.  I am constantly amazed at how much he contributes to the community.

I respect the newer, younger players who have made the effort to excel in this game.  The TonyJoeys and the BearKats (and again too many to name here) who have logged the time and put forth the effort to add to the game and the community.

So yes kilo, I DO think that.  One should always respect their elders.  We wouldn't be where we are at now w/o them.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 05:25:07 PM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2009, 05:21:03 PM »
Well said Lute. :salute
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Scratchman

• Copper Member
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
Sorry that I took your reference the wrong way WMLute, my passion for this game may have gotten the best of me. I saw how the "rumor mills" about the "script kiddies" in AW affected that game, and I did not want to see a repeat here. And speaking of America Online, I was a Sys Op for two years for Quantum Link . Remember what they became?  :rock

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2009, 06:15:39 PM »
I will say that I can count on one hand how many times it has happened in the 9yrs I've flown AH.  (with a finger or 2 to spare)

Unless your are deformed in some way, this would mean only 3-4 in 9yrs? 

I would dare say its much more than that in 9yrs.

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Scratchman

• Copper Member
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2009, 06:21:03 PM »

If truth be known much more than that, many times over. As a community we can play a big part in keeping the numbers of who try low.   :rock

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2009, 06:23:03 PM »

He means software hacks in the MA... not just 'gaming'... so I would dare to say he's right or not far off.

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2009, 07:04:53 PM »
If truth be known much more than that, many times over. As a community we can play a big part in keeping the numbers of who try low.   :rock

Stop pushing the myth.  Look mate 99.9% of accusations in game are from ignorant clueless folk.  I personally have no credentails other than 150+ hours every month since January 2002.  In that time I have only ever witnessed 4 incidences.  That leaves me a thumb Dadsguns.

Here's one from about 5 hrs ago ....check the victims comment.

http://www.filefront.com/14129877/invisability%20_1020.ahf

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2009, 07:29:28 PM »
SNIP

When entering into a Head On merge with a bandit at some distance (similar to the dueling merge we use to practice ACM) I will sometimes hit the Elevator Trim Up key at about 2.5-3K out from the bandit.  This drives my nose up so I counter with forward pressure on the stick.  It takes approx. a second and a half for the elevator to move from neutral to full up.   As I avoid the bandit's shot and we pass I release stick pressure and my plane seems to immediately snap up into a full elevator up loop.  The bandit, I assume, pulls back on his stick to achieve the same loop, but it takes time for his elevator to get into the full up position.  Therefore, all other things being equal (we react into the loop at the same time), theoretically, I gain a split half second advantage as my elevator is already full up at the moment in initiate movement upward out of level flight.  Does this mean I actually turn tighter, I don't know (you'd think so), but I think it does mean I turn a slight bit quicker. 

However, I'm open to the interpretation of the 'experts' that maybe even this is a fallacy.

I'm no expert but I'll say this.  It seems to me your just ahead of the game by being prepared...is all.  Should you need to dive low you'll have to trim down which would, as you say, take a moment to do. 

Trimming is a personal thing.  I have stick 3 set up for using trims and find myself using it mostly to pull out of compression.  Some like to trim others like myself find it far to fiddly in the middle of ball busting dog fight.  As the fight progresses you'll be way out of trim and feel it. 

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2009, 07:31:22 PM »
We have all seen the You Tube post with the planes dropping a 1000 bombs and the plane taking off of a base and climbing straight up to ten thousand feel like it was on a yo yo string. However all the people who hacked AH to do this all have something in common besides no morals. They were all caught by HT and booted off the game. This is a pretty well policed game as far as I can see. Don't confuse gaming the game with cheating. Turning off stall limiter and saving head positions is not a cheat. I was taken in by the cry of cheating by others when I first came to the game. I am 56 years old and this is the first and only computer game I have ever played and I am pretty dumb about computers anyway but even I figured out there is very little cheating going on. Don't put to much stock in what you see on You Tube.
That youtube video isn't relevant anymore.  No use bringing it up..

Lynx has it right.  The majority of cheat comments are false and caused by ... ignorance, with all due respect.

So I've read through this thread for the pertinent info on the "Elevator Trim Up" issue, and I see where most everyone uses words like "tighter" as the advantage gained.  However, I wonder if the more correct term, at least in the scenario I'll present here, is "quicker".

I'll just give you what I was taught and the reasoning behind it.  I'll even admit that it 'seems' to actually induce some small element of advantage, at least to my perception, but I could be technically wrong, so don't beat on me, just explain.

When entering into a Head On merge with a bandit at some distance (similar to the dueling merge we use to practice ACM) I will sometimes hit the Elevator Trim Up key at about 2.5-3K out from the bandit.  This drives my nose up so I counter with forward pressure on the stick.  It takes approx. a second and a half for the elevator to move from neutral to full up.   As I avoid the bandit's shot and we pass I release stick pressure and my plane seems to immediately snap up into a full elevator up loop.  The bandit, I assume, pulls back on his stick to achieve the same loop, but it takes time for his elevator to get into the full up position.  Therefore, all other things being equal (we react into the loop at the same time), theoretically, I gain a split half second advantage as my elevator is already full up at the moment in initiate movement upward out of level flight.  Does this mean I actually turn tighter, I don't know (you'd think so), but I think it does mean I turn a slight bit quicker. 

However, I'm open to the interpretation of the 'experts' that maybe even this is a fallacy.

Also, I fully realize that in doing this you induce drag at the merge, but given a high starting speed this is not a problem, further it seems to help to quickly reduce airspeed for a better loop as well.
Didn't someone at HTC once say that trim tabs weren't modeled?  Or that the 109's integral horstab "trim" wasn't modeled.  Either way, this is how I see it:
1) If trim makes no difference to full deflection and
2) trim does make a difference in pulling out from nose-down compression
Then what trim seems to be is a force multiplier over the same range of elevator travel.  Or trim tabs really are modeled.  Either way, while you don't get any extra authority and a tighter max turn from trim, you do get increasing authority above a certain speed and that does give an advantage like Sloehand points out.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:38:59 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2009, 08:46:31 PM »
2 quick things.

First to scratch.  The "you" was an "in general" and not directed to you yourself as a player.  Wasn't a slam on you as I can't say what type of a pilot you are off the top of my head so I wouldn't be able to comment on your ability.  Wasn't personal and I hope you don't take it as such as that was not my intent.

Now to kilo2.

Yes actually.  To a large degree I do think that.  I think it is import. to honor those that went before us and who prob. have forgotten more than we will learn about this little hobby.   Without them there IS no community or game for us to fly.  I remember when I saw GrayEagle (GE) start flying again last year (ish?  was it last year?) and I made great pains to make sure to <S> him, told 'em how great I thought he was (even announced to all the players online at the time we were in the presence of greatness) and passed it on to my squad to look out for him and help 'em if he needed it.

Why did I do that?  He deserved it.

These are the players whose shoulders this community was built upon and they deserve our respect.

I also think that the time/effort that a player gives back to the game and the community is worthy of respect.  Players that log untold hours working in the AvA, TA, or the SEA.  Those players deserve respect as well.  They have shed blood sweat and tears for this game and deserve it.

I can't tell you how much respect I have for these players.  The Daddogs, 68Falcons, Ghosths, and too many to name in one post.  We HAVE a community and a great game to play because of their efforts.  (waves to TC, you on that list too buddy)

Heck, I'm sure WideWing looses more knowledge about WW2 airplanes when he sneezes than I will ever know.  I am constantly amazed at how much he contributes to the community.

I respect the newer, younger players who have made the effort to excel in this game.  The TonyJoeys and the BearKats (and again too many to name here) who have logged the time and put forth the effort to add to the game and the community.

So yes kilo, I DO think that.  One should always respect their elders.  We wouldn't be where we are at now w/o them.

I respect people not on age or time in game. I respect people on what they say or what they do. Just because somebody has played for ten years and happens to be 20 years older than me, or others, doesn't give them license to do or say whatever they want. Then expect every one to give them respect. So many times I have seen vets post in peoples threads and just rip them to shreds without adding anything to the discussion.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2009, 09:48:27 PM »

Look....this stuff is in game for anyone to use it if they wish.  Personally combat trim on is more convenient for me.

If you ain't read the Top Secret help file.....that's your fault.  There's others you can use like stick scale to stop the horrid nose bounce or make your stick heavy on the feel. Take the training wheels off and uncheck "stall limiter".  There's volume controls for every effect in "game sound".  Tip:- make secondary explosion 100%

If you don't understand something step back and figure it out.  Don't be a dumb arse and jump to unwarranted conclusions cause the likes of me don't have duel accounts for spying, bullet proof planes, invisible tanks, aim bots, hurri 1 handling with 262 speed.  We have an ounce of skill over the less fortunate.

Some of you ain't going to get it but here's an example.  In the first few months of playing AH I had a couple of incidences where I was creeping up on a cons low 6 but a few times they broke.  How the hell did they know I was there.  It was just me and him so no check 6's.  I was low to their 6 so they couldn't see me.  The only thing I could think of was that they somehow heard me.  Sure enough in "game sound" there's engine and external engine. 

What I'm getting at here is THINK MAN!....THINK.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 09:52:00 PM by LYNX »

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2009, 10:00:48 PM »
someone please tell me how to adjust individual volume on ship and tank guns.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2009, 10:10:09 PM »
Not sure about ships', but for tank guns you can adjust the individual tank turret sound file's volume relative to the game's "turret" sound volume.  The file is "tankgun.wav".  That's strictly for internal sound. Turrets don't have unique external sounds like tracks and engines do.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2009, 10:17:08 PM »
A good one for gaming the game is to up a 262 on the runway.   As you decide not to take it you type ef forgetting the dot.  That way you fire a cannon round into the next uppin plane and lose 140 perkies.

Just did it myself.   :o