Author Topic: Gaming the game  (Read 3745 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Gaming the game
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2009, 03:05:07 AM »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2009, 04:19:29 AM »
1.) AW was already an albatross when EA bought Kesmai out. Subscriptions were falling rampantly...

WMLute is very correct in the reasons why EA bought Kesmai.  In addition to getting their foot in the door with AOL, it was also to get their hand on the Aries netcode.  Did you know that when AW shut down its servers for the last time, it was EA's #2 game in terms of subscriptions.  At the time, only OU had more paying subscribers. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Scratchman

• Copper Member
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2009, 04:44:16 AM »
WMLute is very correct in the reasons why EA bought Kesmai.  In addition to getting their foot in the door with AOL, it was also to get their hand on the Aries netcode.  Did you know that when AW shut down its servers for the last time, it was EA's #2 game in terms of subscriptions.  At the time, only OU had more paying subscribers. 

ack-ack
Didn't say that wasn't the reason why EA bought out Kesmai. I already knew why EA bought out Kesmai. I said AW was already reeling in subscription rates because of the "script kiddies", prior to that, ( over 30% reduction of subscriptions. ) Air Warrior's demise was already in the works. It was my response to why he couldn't see how this pertained to "hacking". And in being # 2 in subscription rates, why did EA shut it down do you think? The abuse of "hacks" and "cracks" can kill any game. The same is true just from the rumors of it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 05:19:11 AM by Scratchman »
Proud member of the Ground Pounders. Pounding our way to victory!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2009, 10:10:29 AM »
1.) AW was already an albatross when EA bought Kesmai out. Subscriptions were falling rampantly, and it was a constant rant everywhere about the "script kiddies" use of hacks that was a PART, mind you, a part, of this. I was there, I lived it, so don't preach to me about it. As a matter of fact the problem became so bad that AW started scanning everyone's hard drives prior to being allowed access to the game. Do you even remember this? ( It is one of the BIGGEST fears that online gaming companies face. The fear of their game being hacked and the use of this code becomes widespread. )

I flew AW from 97 till the night they turned off the servers and I don't remember them ever scanning my HD. The only times I saw the subscriptions numbers drop was in the waning days of the game and that was because everyone KNEW it was dieing and had switched to other games or quit all together.

2.) Unless you actually work for HiTech you have no clue how much this has actually happened. You talk about your personal experience of how many times that you have seen it as if it is the Gospel. Surely your not that naive that they are the only times it has occurred?

A pretty good number of people who fly are friends with HT and other members of his staff. I'm sure many a "bit of information" has slipped while downing beers after work. Those friend talk with others. I know of only a few instances where things were done, or tried and they were slammed quickly.

3.) I concur HiTech, like many companies takes it seriously. No where in my post did I say they didn't. So I am at a loss for why you would even mention it. But I feel the boards, nor channel 200 is the place for this discussion. See Rule #7.

I agree the boards is NOT the place to air this stuff, but I think WMLute was pointing that out that any kind of cheating is quickly addressed by HTC to maintain that "integrity" so as to assure people that the game is kept clean and free of hacks/cheats

4.) Daily I receive either on Channel 200, or personal messages, that I am cheating. So I also agree what can be done from experience can be confused as "cheating". Again I am at a loss why you would mention this. For this explanation doesn't even address the actual threat.

Maybe not, but it explains the majority of the "issues" that the uninformed complain about. If you don't know how to out turn a zeek with an LA then it may look like a cheat to you. I think that is what WMLute was pointing out

5.) I am always amazed when people like you come here and Rant that it isn't happening here or anywhere for that matter. I am glad that through diligence and perseverance that it is the exception and not the rule within this game. But if your that naive about this problem, then I suggest to you that you keep your Firewall up, and anti-virus software updated. Unless of course your years of computer experience excludes you from this threat.

I didn't see WMLutes post as a rant.... yours how ever looks very much like one. WMLute posted that HTC is very much on top of anything that anyone might be trying. His code is very jealously guarded for the reasons stated above. You posted falsehoods about AW which just proves that there may be more errors in other things you posted. WMLute tried to post more accurate information and you tried to slam him with your " you's".  Nobody is saying to not to be diligent, but being paranoid is even worst.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2009, 11:34:33 AM »
Not much to add here.

The III/JG26 9th ST WidowMakers were mostly all American Online employees so I do know quite a bit about what 'happened' to AirWarrior re: EA and AOL.  I was "in the loop" as it were about what was going on.
(I forgot about the Aries bit AckAck, good catch)

You have flown for one year scratch.  What in that year have you contributed to the game?  What about that year flying would give you insight  into what happens in AcesHigh or how things are "done"?  Do tell what has happened, or what have you accomplished, in the past year that would give you, your opinion, or anything you say "credit" when discussing AcesHigh related 'stuff'?

In other words, just why should anybody pay you the slightest bit of attention?  What about you might make us go "hey now, here is a guy that knows what they are talking about!". 

(FYI most everybody allready know the answers to the above questions and they are merely 'rhetorical')

Being Sunday I would point scratchman to Proverbs' 17:28 and kindly ask 'em to take it to heart.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2009, 11:56:26 AM »
Not much to add here.

The III/JG26 9th ST WidowMakers were mostly all American Online employees so I do know quite a bit about what 'happened' to AirWarrior re: EA and AOL.  I was "in the loop" as it were about what was going on.

You have flown for one year scratch.  What in that year have you contributed to the game?  What about that year flying would give you insight  into what happens in AcesHigh or how things are "done"?  Do tell what has happened, or what have you accomplished, in the past year that would give you, your opinion, or anything you say "credit" when discussing AcesHigh related 'stuff'?

In other words, just why should anybody pay you the slightest bit of attention?  What about you might make us go "hey now, here is a guy that knows what they are talking about!". 

(FYI most everybody allready know the answers to the above questions and they are merely 'rhetorical')

Being Sunday I would point scratchman to Proverbs' 17:28 and kindly ask 'em to take it to heart.

Fixed.   :D
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2009, 12:03:10 PM »
Daily I receive either on Channel 200, or personal messages, that I am cheating.

:)

Uhhh shenanigans
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2009, 12:12:54 PM »
:)

Uhhh shenanigans

Says the biggest gamer in this game. It's impossible to kill you when you're playing the piano. :mad:

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2009, 02:29:11 PM »
We have all seen the You Tube post with the planes dropping a 1000 bombs and the plane taking off of a base and climbing straight up to ten thousand feel like it was on a yo yo string. However all the people who hacked AH to do this all have something in common besides no morals. They were all caught by HT and booted off the game. This is a pretty well policed game as far as I can see. Don't confuse gaming the game with cheating. Turning off stall limiter and saving head positions is not a cheat. I was taken in by the cry of cheating by others when I first came to the game. I am 56 years old and this is the first and only computer game I have ever played and I am pretty dumb about computers anyway but even I figured out there is very little cheating going on. Don't put to much stock in what you see on You Tube.

Offline Scratchman

• Copper Member
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2009, 02:41:38 PM »
I flew AW from 97 till the night they turned off the servers and I don't remember them ever scanning my HD. The only times I saw the subscriptions numbers drop was in the waning days of the game and that was because everyone KNEW it was dieing and had switched to other games or quit all together.

A pretty good number of people who fly are friends with HT and other members of his staff. I'm sure many a "bit of information" has slipped while downing beers after work. Those friend talk with others. I know of only a few instances where things were done, or tried and they were slammed quickly.

I agree the boards is NOT the place to air this stuff, but I think WMLute was pointing that out that any kind of cheating is quickly addressed by HTC to maintain that "integrity" so as to assure people that the game is kept clean and free of hacks/cheats

Maybe not, but it explains the majority of the "issues" that the uninformed complain about. If you don't know how to out turn a zeek with an LA then it may look like a cheat to you. I think that is what WMLute was pointing out

I didn't see WMLutes post as a rant.... yours how ever looks very much like one. WMLute posted that HTC is very much on top of anything that anyone might be trying. His code is very jealously guarded for the reasons stated above. You posted falsehoods about AW which just proves that there may be more errors in other things you posted. WMLute tried to post more accurate information and you tried to slam him with your " you's".  Nobody is saying to not to be diligent, but being paranoid is even worst.
Don't know why you don't remember the Hard Drive scans. I too flew AW since it's DOS Beta days, it began the last year of it's existence. To sum it all up I agreed with what WMLute said. The slamming began with him however, and I took my concerns in the wrong direction. Quote: Just 'cause YOU can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.. If it wasn't a slam he would have chosen a word like someone.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 02:46:06 PM by Scratchman »

Offline Scratchman

• Copper Member
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2009, 03:04:06 PM »
Not much to add here.

So I have to fly AH for several years to be considered worthy? Sorry for the slam, I took it that you were slamming me, and to me it appears that you still are. I flew AW from it's DOS Beta days under the CPID Cuda. When AW's demise was evident, I quit flying due to my wife's failing health condition about 3 months before it's Death, who is still battling Breast and Ovarian Cancer. Now that I have more time on my hands I am flying AH. So I am being punished for not being able to fly all this time in AH? I try to contribute, and "Veterans" like yourself pick apart every part of someone's post, and for what? I see it everywhere. Perhaps if you want more people to be a part and contribute, maybe stop knocking them down. My whole point was that this discussion has no place here on the boards. That is my opionion and I am entitled to it. Just 'cause YOU can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done. To me by not choosing a word like someone instead of all cap's YOU, comes off as a slam. Being Sunday I will part with this; I had a concern, a real concern, that even a rumor of cheating can kill this game, or any game for that matter, if it's an online game.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 03:11:09 PM by Scratchman »

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2009, 04:06:09 PM »
Scratchman you fly respectually and I never see you badmouth anyone, I think we could all read a page of your book and benifet.

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2009, 04:12:08 PM »
Not much to add here.

Ah another pile-it who thinks time in game equates to respect or knowledge.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2009, 04:39:51 PM »
I always wondered why there was a option to get a capture in attack mode. The only way to get a capture in attack mode is to drop troops, end sortie and then sit on the runway in a plane thats set in attack mode until you get a capture mesg.

The capture will go to your squad and not you yourself and can increase overall squad rank dramatically. What was the reason for putting that in?

Another thing I just found out is that some of the best sticks in the game use the MAGIC K KEY to turn faster and tighter than anyone else plus helps you avoid auguring into the ground at high speed due to compression. Seems the K key over rules why we have compression in the first place.

Although I wish I knew about it before I left the game and probably would have used it, I think it should be disabled. It's an unfair, game the game type advantage for those who know how to use it.

From the Spitfire pilot note book....about .......TRIM.  30 being your interpritation as the magic key

AIRCRAFT CONTROLS
12. Trimming tabs.—The elevator trimming tabs are controlled by
a handwheel (30) on the left-hand side of the cockpit, the
indicator (24) being on the instrument panel. The rudder
trimming tab is controlled by a small hand-wheel (27) and is
not provided with an indicator. The aircraft tends to turn to
starboard when the handwheel is rotated clockwise.

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2009, 04:58:04 PM »
So I've read through this thread for the pertinent info on the "Elevator Trim Up" issue, and I see where most everyone uses words like "tighter" as the advantage gained.  However, I wonder if the more correct term, at least in the scenario I'll present here, is "quicker".

I'll just give you what I was taught and the reasoning behind it.  I'll even admit that it 'seems' to actually induce some small element of advantage, at least to my perception, but I could be technically wrong, so don't beat on me, just explain.

When entering into a Head On merge with a bandit at some distance (similar to the dueling merge we use to practice ACM) I will sometimes hit the Elevator Trim Up key at about 2.5-3K out from the bandit.  This drives my nose up so I counter with forward pressure on the stick.  It takes approx. a second and a half for the elevator to move from neutral to full up.   As I avoid the bandit's shot and we pass I release stick pressure and my plane seems to immediately snap up into a full elevator up loop.  The bandit, I assume, pulls back on his stick to achieve the same loop, but it takes time for his elevator to get into the full up position.  Therefore, all other things being equal (we react into the loop at the same time), theoretically, I gain a split half second advantage as my elevator is already full up at the moment in initiate movement upward out of level flight.  Does this mean I actually turn tighter, I don't know (you'd think so), but I think it does mean I turn a slight bit quicker. 

However, I'm open to the interpretation of the 'experts' that maybe even this is a fallacy.

Also, I fully realize that in doing this you induce drag at the merge, but given a high starting speed this is not a problem, further it seems to help to quickly reduce airspeed for a better loop as well.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin