Author Topic: Making a 300$ computer run AHII 2.14  (Read 3182 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: Making a 300$ computer run AHII 2.14
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 07:13:10 AM »
just out of interest have you guys tried 2.13 on these machines?

Only because I hear people saying "AH used to be playable on my PC and now it isnt, so I need a new PC" or similar, and I'm sceptical that this is the case.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2009, 12:09:30 PM »
just out of interest have you guys tried 2.13 on these machines?

Only because I hear people saying "AH used to be playable on my PC and now it isnt, so I need a new PC" or similar, and I'm sceptical that this is the case.

Just because you asked I went and installed the newest patch on the old Dell outlined earlier in this thread.  Frame rates seem about the same but the terrain looks a little better, the minor stuttering is greatly reduced, and texture loading is not perfect but improved.

I didn't actuall fly but took a couple of shots from the towers. 

In this one I tried to find a place with a lot going on.  There were a ton of planes in this sector, a CV on fire, AA guns firing, a small furball in view, planes taking off, etc.  All in all I was quite pleased with the machines performance (that's 36 fps BTW).

In this one I wanted to get a look at the new ground terrain.  Again we have some fires, a plane fying overhead, a flack firing, etc.  24fps but you'll notice that there's supposed to be a river there and with the lower graphics setting it goes away turning entirely into beach sand.  I didn't try but I now wonder if the water appears as you get closer or not.  If it doesn't can you roll over it or do you get stuck?  I guess I'll have to test that another time.

I would think this would be totally playable and an improvement over the initial releases.

Compare these screenshots to the earlier ones and there's no comparison.  This looks much better.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 12:16:49 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2009, 12:48:28 PM »
yup big improvement, and utterly amazing for a 12yr old Dell :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline sandwich

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2009, 04:42:53 AM »
lol

The beginning pictures show exactly how my graphics look when playing AH

the only difference is that i put everything way down because my video card is basically made out of silly putty, crazy straws and copper wire.

Oddly enough my game runs extremely smoothly and the planes still look excellent so im happy for now.