Author Topic: :mad:WHY IS NEW GAME SET TO MAKE GV'S ALMOST USELESS  (Read 3238 times)

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Re: :mad:WHY IS NEW GAME SET TO MAKE GV'S ALMOST USELESS
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2009, 02:49:16 PM »
Yep, il2 with unperked 37mm is BS, completely lob-sides the air vs gv.

Come off it chap.  IL-2 v wirlies at best is 50 / 50.  Against unfriendly air even less.

No more sneaking about the place is all that's likely to have changed on these smaller maps.  When the larger ones are converted it'll be sneaky GV's as usual.

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2009, 03:04:17 PM »
But the real question is WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SHERMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Offline OKIEE

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2009, 04:00:50 PM »
Have not spent much time in the gvs. but the terrain is wide open around gv bases now. No hedges to interfere with camping the vh, no grove of trees to sweetly plunk a goon on the ground unseen... However it all boils down to tactical changes in the game and that is not so bad now is it?

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2009, 04:15:18 PM »
Come off it chap.  IL-2 v wirlies at best is 50 / 50.  Against unfriendly air even less.

No more sneaking about the place is all that's likely to have changed on these smaller maps.  When the larger ones are converted it'll be sneaky GV's as usual.

50/50? Sorry gotta raise the BS flag on that one. Even I get better than 50/50 against wirblys w a IL2. And I am really bad at it. Few weeks ago there was a post about a one shot kill on a T34 with a IL2. Now your really going to say that someone of your experiance only gets 50/50? IL2 and all these aircraft can kill many a good GV fight. The game balance between GVs and aircraft is way off.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2009, 04:42:08 PM »
50/50? Sorry gotta raise the BS flag on that one. Even I get better than 50/50 against wirblys w a IL2. And I am really bad at it. Few weeks ago there was a post about a one shot kill on a T34 with a IL2. Now your really going to say that someone of your experiance only gets 50/50? IL2 and all these aircraft can kill many a good GV fight. The game balance between GVs and aircraft is way off.

Sorry mate gotta raise the flag back onya. Your chances against wirlies in an IL2 are so dim I basically leave them alone unless there is some over-riding need to come into them. By "Dim" I mean getting shot bad enough that you have to break off your attack, not only killed. Unless your one of these types that figures on suicide every time you go up then you had better find other things to do then come into experienced wirlie shooters when in IL2s.

But I only make a living hunting armor and Lynx is even better at it then I am. Both of us are easy to check up on and if your going to start waving the BS flag then put up your game name too to back up your flag.  A big, slow airplane like the IL2 looks like a big Turkey from the gunsight of a wirlie.

Sure I have tricks against wirlies. But its easier to just let your own tanks take them. The thing is a properly constructed armored attack, with supporting flak, is a difficult nut to crack with air power alone, "especially with ords down". We have some wirlie shooters in the game who make the 1 on 1 odds, 1 wirlie vs 1 IL2, more like an 80 or 90% on the wirlies side.

Think a WW-2 tank or two would trot off on their own to attack an enemy airbase? So then why would you expect them to be able to do it in the game?
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2009, 04:54:59 PM »
The one thing I would like to see go away, is the ability to see enemy GV's icons from the air. You can't see TIGR or PNZR if you are in a GV and are lookin at an enemy GV. I don't think you should be able to see the enemy icons from the air either.

This should be left just as it is. A vehicle moving in open country is GOING to paint a big bull's-eye on it. A vehicle moving with limited cover overhead is also going to be noticed from the air. Even under dense cover a spotter from the air has a better than average chance of seeing a vehicle on the move. The only time I can see removing icons from GVs in the air is if the vehicle is sitting completely still with its engine off UNDER COVER.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2009, 05:38:18 PM »

Respectfully disagree here, when a Tiger tank(around 35 points) (the most heavily armored tank option in the game) is able to be taken out in ONE pass by an il2 (free) then that is evidence that the ground/air game is unbalanced in my opinion.
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2009, 05:55:55 PM »
Respectfully disagree here, when a Tiger tank(around 35 points) (the most heavily armored tank option in the game) is able to be taken out in ONE pass by an il2 (free) then that is evidence that the ground/air game is unbalanced in my opinion.

+1

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2009, 06:12:25 PM »
+2
very true Snailman. I hope they fix that (even though they shouldn't have to, it's too bad people disable player skins so they can game it a bit.)

Here is a screenshot from just a few minutes ago in TT. Nobody can say that there's no place to hide.

(Image removed from quote.)
How is turning off skins to make the game semi playable gaming? :huh
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2009, 06:24:55 PM »
Is turning off skins, gaming the game, any more than custom gunsights or cursor aiming...?
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2009, 06:28:54 PM »
I try not to complain but this is to much.  The way the new spawn points are set it took twenty five minutes to drive from A1 spawn point to the town at A19 (blue map)in a panzer. When I finally got there it took only pings from the new 37mm guns on the IL-2 Type 3M to kill my tank. The terrain has no hills,mounds or low spots to hide in the few trees that are there you can't even drive into for cover. Planes with bombs have no trouble finding you because your in the open 90% of the time. So if two pings for the IL-2 kill a panzer guess what it will do to the other gv's except maybe the tiger. There are a couple of other things but if you look at it almost seems like it was set that way to discourage people from the ground game. If some one can tell me why it's this way I would be very great full. thank you. :mad: :salute

They did it just to annoy the hell out of you  ;)
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2009, 06:30:08 PM »
Is turning off skins, gaming the game, any more than custom gunsights or cursor aiming...?

I had never enabled other player skins in the first place. I did this for performance reasons long time before realizung it could be an advantage in tank combat.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2009, 06:32:27 PM »
Yep, il2 with unperked 37mm is BS, completely lob-sides the air vs gv.

B-25H is far better for taking out AA ground vehicles than the Il2 is.  Can turret them far beyond their gun range and render them useless.  With the ability to take out GVs in a single shot beyond d1.5, I would think the B-25H is far more a threat to GVs than an IL2.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2009, 06:33:10 PM »

You twist my words little one.

Some dishonest people disable other player's skins while GVing so they can see them easier  :aok
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2009, 06:38:59 PM »
I didn't twist any words,  I asked a simple stand alone question!!!
And the answer is?

Take it easy Tavarich Twinky!!!
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"