Author Topic: Why are people so intolerant of newbs?  (Read 4507 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: Why are people so intolerant of newbs?
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2009, 03:20:18 AM »
I think the real question is why people lose patience with newbies; when they do.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2009, 03:23:07 AM »
People here are intolerant of anything.

Intolerant of n0bs,
Intolerant of facts
Intolerant of spits
Intolerant of furballers, warwinners, toolshedders, pickers, alt dweebs
Intolerant of other palyer shooting them down
Intolerant of small maps, large maps, new maps,oldmaps
Intolerant of old graphics
Intolerant of new graphics

Quoted for truth.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2009, 04:33:34 AM »
That doesn't elucidate.  Which is the first step towards doing something about it.  Assuming you disapprove of it.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2009, 05:15:37 AM »
That doesn't elucidate.  Which is the first step towards doing something about it.  Assuming you disapprove of it.

I'm not concerned in the least. You put hundreds of people together and they are bound to argue, it's simple human nature. You will never get everyone to agree with you, even on the matter that we all can't agree. To think there is some solve all answer is ridiculous, rather the only thing you can do is moderate it, and deal with it as it happens. That is exactly what we have now, and honestly I don't think there is much of a better answer. None of this meaning to be spiteful or mean, it's just what I see as the bare truth in the matter.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2009, 09:13:29 AM »
When you're new in a community, lay low a bit, get an idea of what's going on...MAYBE even read thew @%%@#@#%% manual. Instead, so many (typically, kids) download the game, jump RIGHT into the MA, and start asking 1 question after another, never even slowing down to see the responses before asking the next. Within a week, they come in here (presumably after exhausting AH's vast plane set) and start demanding obscure planes they saw on Wings (which with they might THEN get kills )
wut r u guys doin! no b29 it rules! big bomb i will killeverbody this game sucks i cant get kills Y cant i fly w mouse how come i cant get rocket plane y does my ammo always run out y does no 1 listen to me DAMNIT listen to me u people suck
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2009, 09:22:43 AM »
a large majority have forgotten what it was like when they were new.

just my humble opinion.

Actually, I remember exactly what it was like. Hence, my low tolerance for noobs.  :devil

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2009, 09:26:09 AM »
And all I have to say is...Why?
Not all noobs are intolerable and not all folks are harsh on noobs.  There are a few higher profile individuals who enjoy confrontation.

This is a case of the squeaky wheels getting the grease.  Or is it an empty barrel makes the loudest noise?
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2009, 09:26:28 AM »
Actually, I remember exactly what it was like. Hence, my low tolerance for noobs.  :devil

i still try to help em when i can. not that i'm all that great, but i try. especially if they haven't been taught to ho yet.
 i figure it's my best chance for good fights in the future. teach em what little i know, then hopefully they get with a trainer in the ta, and learn to REALLY handle their aircraft.

unlike me, flopping around like a fish outta water....and last night i did that several times right into the water.  :rofl :rofl :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2009, 09:28:34 AM »
Not all noobs are intolerable and not all folks are harsh on noobs.  There are a few higher profile individuals who enjoy confrontation.

This is a case of the squeaky wheels getting the grease.  Or is it an empty barrel makes the loudest noise?

From my experience, most of the guys being awful to (the freshest) newbies are relative no-namer's themselves.  Most of the high profile guys seem to enjoy saving their confrontations for other high profile guys.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2009, 09:28:58 AM »
I'm not concerned in the least. You put hundreds of people together and they are bound to argue, it's simple human nature. You will never get everyone to agree with you, even on the matter that we all can't agree. To think there is some solve all answer is ridiculous, rather the only thing you can do is moderate it, and deal with it as it happens. That is exactly what we have now, and honestly I don't think there is much of a better answer. None of this meaning to be spiteful or mean, it's just what I see as the bare truth in the matter.
That's uncomprehensive.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2009, 09:30:58 AM »

How do you prevent a problem where you can't, by definition, reach out toward the other side in advance of the problem occurring?

Edit - "prevent" is a better word for it than "fix."
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:33:03 AM by Vudak »
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2009, 09:35:44 AM »
From my experience, most of the guys being awful to (the freshest) newbies are relative no-namer's themselves.  Most of the high profile guys seem to enjoy saving their confrontations for other high profile guys.

i like to get storchie wound up. it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys.  :x
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline JB11

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2009, 09:38:39 AM »
OK, you all probably know what I'm talking about. A newb desides that his first post shall be about a B-29 and what happens...? BOOM, every body who isn't newb and doesn't want the B-29 starts shouting "USE YOUR SEARCH", and "Why kill the kittens" and posts a picture of a kitten resting his chin on a gun, or "What do you have against kittens", and all that crap instead of actually helping them by telling them where the search is, how to use it, and giving them some tips about the search. They almost never give constructive criticizem either; only flaming.

And all I have to say is...Why?
Because in our society most have become complacent in that it is easier for somebody else to do it for me.  So enjoy being the FNG.  :rock

:salute 11
Never abandon the possibility of attack. Attack even from a position of inferiority, to disrupt the enemy's plans. This often results in improving one's own position. - General Adolf Galland, Luftwaffe
Proverbs 3:5,6

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2009, 10:42:53 AM »
That's uncomprehensive.

*shrug* Not sure what your expecting.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2009, 10:49:56 AM »
Nevermind.

How do you prevent a problem where you can't, by definition, reach out toward the other side in advance of the problem occurring?

Edit - "prevent" is a better word for it than "fix."
I'd get into a concise but lengthy description of my pov on the thing, based on experience from living in a dozen different cultures, but it's just not worth it when people don't care in the first place.  Which is evidently enough, IMO, the reason for the "intolerance" at hand.  Also not worth getting into when I'm in the minority of people who understand what's going on and care about it, as well as incidentally having a really exotic opinion that's bound to trigger a long argument that I don't want to get into because of the risks of appearing "confrontational" to just 1 person who'll report me for it, yadda yadda.

IMO it's not hard to figure this problem out, but if no one cares in the first place, why bother.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 10:54:28 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you