Author Topic: Why are people so intolerant of newbs?  (Read 4509 times)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Re: Why are people so intolerant of newbs?
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2009, 11:04:56 AM »
Well, I think people should care...  I can guarantee them, no matter how annoying a newbie asking "HOW DO I TAKE OFF" might be, it is infinitely preferable to seeing:

"System: The servers will turn off in 2 minutes.  Thanks for the Memories."
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2009, 11:35:29 AM »

"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline A8EJay

• Zinc Member
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2009, 08:34:20 PM »
I love this game, and most of the people are nice.  But, there are some of the rudest people that play this game that i have ever seen.  I really cant figure it out, i give up asking ANY questions in game play.  For example, landed 2 kills in Wirble and they were not proxies (gimme kills), did not get any points for them.  Asked on country chat why and someone said (wont say name) something along the lines of, "because you wont quit changing sides and screwing us."  Not really sure what hes talking about, always been a rook.  But i private messaged him asking what he was talkin about, and got very rude replys back.  Don't get me wrong or flame me, most people are nice, just saying.....  Gets quite frustrating sometimes.  Its not just the noobs, just some people on here are as rude as they come.  Guess what im sayin' is you'll run across people like this, get over it and get on with flyin!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 08:45:31 PM by A8EJay »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2009, 08:44:06 PM »
Ejay no one should flame you... your right. In the real world there are all kinds of folks. In game you just see them from inside your home. It takes all kinds good and bad. Just take the bad ones with a grain of salt.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2009, 08:49:21 PM »
MAYBE even read thew @%%@#@#%% manual. Instead, so many (typically, kids) download the game, jump RIGHT into the MA, and start asking 1 question after another, never even slowing down to see the responses before asking the next. Within a week, they come in here (presumably after exhausting AH's vast plane set) and start demanding obscure planes they saw on Wings (which with they might THEN get kills )
wut r u guys doin! no b29 it rules! big bomb i will killeverbody this game sucks i cant get kills Y cant i fly w mouse how come i cant get rocket plane y does my ammo always run out y does no 1 listen to me DAMNIT listen to me u people suck
That is the biggest problem with beginners. I will admit, I did the exact same thing, but I read the manual, and asked my questions one at a time in the Training Arena. Except for the B-29 thing. That I never did.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2009, 08:55:16 PM »
I think a lot of the friction with new players is that a great deal of them refuse to read the manual prior to logging into the game and demand that someone teach them how to play.  The majority of the questions new players ask can be answered by reading the manual.  I have limited flying time and I will not help a new player that expects me to take time away from my play time and teach him how to select a plane in the hanger. 

When I first started in AW, before I even entered the game I had already spent two weeks reading over the manual and reading anything I could on BFM/ACM, so when I did ask for help I wouldn't be asking stupid questions that I could find the answer to in the manual.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Wreked

• Copper Member
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2009, 09:14:21 PM »
"Reading the manual"  LOL  - when i started there was no manual. <sigh>

What we're dealing with in many case is something older folks with kids may relate to: no doubt when YOU were acting up your parents said "Just you wait till you have kids!"  LOL - Kids are parents revenge.

Likewise I think many of the "noob bashers" are those with very long memories who remember how badly they were treated when "they" were noobs and are just "getin sum back" . <shrug> human nature dies hard.

Fortunately there are some with a memory also about how overwelming some of this can all seem and answer patiently as to "why" we can't have "lazer sights" or "unlimited ammo" with "power spells you can win and store".

If you want to grow the game as to quality then you have to educate those who are new. Or THEY will set the new standards.

Can't have it both ways!...just MHO.

.........cheers eh!
HO is a HO is a HO!!
You can lead a donkey to a FACT - you just can't make them think!

cheers eh!!

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2009, 09:39:41 PM »
There are 3 things I hate:
1. people who are intolerent of other people's cultures
2. people who don't give newbs a chance
3. the Dutch
 :furious :noid
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline A8EJay

• Zinc Member
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2009, 09:40:17 PM »
I think a lot of the friction with new players is that a great deal of them refuse to read the manual prior to logging into the game and demand that someone teach them how to play.  The majority of the questions new players ask can be answered by reading the manual.  I have limited flying time and I will not help a new player that expects me to take time away from my play time and teach him how to select a plane in the hanger. 

When I first started in AW, before I even entered the game I had already spent two weeks reading over the manual and reading anything I could on BFM/ACM, so when I did ask for help I wouldn't be asking stupid questions that I could find the answer to in the manual.

ack-ack

Agreed 100 percent.  I spent over a month in the offline arena as well as read about all there is to read on the AH web site before going to MAs.  The rest i learned from these boards and my squaddies.  As i read in a previous post, i think its anxiety.  This game is so over-whelming and fun that when you first start out you want to know it all and want to be the good at the game-lets face it-nothin more fun than watching someone explode as your bullets rip them apart.  I help whenever i can, (though im sure i have more flying time than some others ex. not married :D) the more players we have in the game, the longer it'll be around is the way i see it.  If this game were to cease, i'd need some SERIOUS rehab.  AH anomonous (i know i spelled that wrong) anyone??  :salute :rock :salute

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2009, 10:01:36 PM »
I remember my first day on AH2, LOL!!! First thing I noticed was the voices on
the radio... Lots of "Hard Talk" from voices that were so high pitched that they
couldn't possibly have dropped their cods yet.. Or if they had, only just!!! LOL!!!
Almost quit right then and there!!!  But there were a couple that sounded a little
more adult.. So I stayed for awhile...

I have a long history of WWII hobby stuff, Wargames etc... Already knew the
vehicles, and aircraft, weapons blah blah... Ailerons from elevators, rudder from
flaps, and how they all worked together... Mostly for me, it was memorization of
what keys, for what controls.. And game mechanics, what targets to kill, for the
desired effect...

First guy to give me pointers was LivrLips, we were in Osties at V46 on the
Baltic map.. I got clean kills on a 110, and a Hurri2d, and he told me how to
keep my head up out of the turret for better vis... I remember those things!!!
That was 3yrs+ ago....

:salute LivrLips, if your out there!!!

I try to pay it forward when I can.... And being a granddad, I have a soft
spot for the kiddies...

"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline Tempest3

• Zinc Member
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2009, 10:09:39 PM »
I have a long history of WWII hobby stuff, Wargames etc... Already knew the
vehicles, and aircraft, weapons blah blah... Ailerons from elevators, rudder from
flaps, and how they all worked together... Mostly for me, it was memorization of
what keys, for what controls.. And game mechanics, what targets to kill, for the
desired effect...

Same here. I jumped into the 8-player and got all mixed up trying to take off using keyboard rudders. That took forever to learn! I think I crashed 8-10 times before I gave up and used the P-38...

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2009, 10:24:57 PM »
"Reading the manual"  LOL  - when i started there was no manual. <sigh>

What we're dealing with in many case is something older folks with kids may relate to: no doubt when YOU were acting up your parents said "Just you wait till you have kids!"  LOL - Kids are parents revenge.

Likewise I think many of the "noob bashers" are those with very long memories who remember how badly they were treated when "they" were noobs and are just "getin sum back" . <shrug> human nature dies hard.

Fortunately there are some with a memory also about how overwelming some of this can all seem and answer patiently as to "why" we can't have "lazer sights" or "unlimited ammo" with "power spells you can win and store".

If you want to grow the game as to quality then you have to educate those who are new. Or THEY will set the new standards.

Can't have it both ways!...just MHO.

.........cheers eh!
Not sure that's always true.  Showing that you've made an effort before asking for help is a common convention.  It's especially standard when you want to get a geek's help.  If you come up to him and show that you haven't even tried to figure it the problem out on your own, it's understandable that he's not inclined to help out.  Not when the answer might be right there for you to see if you bothered to look. 

In a general sense, leeching someone's time and effort for something that you could've done yourself for free and been rewarded with an actual understanding instead of being spoonfed (i.e. entertaining your ignorance/dependency), and for no tangible benefit to that someone, is a lose-lose situation. 
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2009, 10:30:24 PM »
Ejay your not a noob, you asked for help and are acually trying to get better. Compared to 1028102 that Hos and Rams.
Strokes

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
I have a question that is kina emberassing, what does "HO" mean. I'm kinda inocent even though I'm not really newb :angel:.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline usvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2009, 12:01:13 PM »
LoL!   :D

I can't remember that far in the past...
"Come with me and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." -Unteroffizer/Feldwebel Rolf Steiner

~POTW-Second Wing~
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/index.php