Author Topic: Missed the p38 clinic. really want a vid!  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: Missed the p38 clinic. really want a vid!
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 02:09:35 AM »
I didn't record the session, the only thing I have is my notes from the event. I will release the notes when I get the rest of the information together for the second clinic so it will be altogether and written in a proper format.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 12:24:44 PM »
yep.

i mostly use the slips and cross controlling for getting rid of alt fast. i still suck at using them for anything else.

in rl, one of the hardest things for me to learn, was cross controlling her when landing in crosswinds.

Do you think the P-38's handling qualities and turning reflects that of a real P-38? Although I don't think you'd be trying those alt-eating, buffet-inducing maneuvers in a real P-38 :P
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 04:55:25 PM »
Do you think the P-38's handling qualities and turning reflects that of a real P-38? Although I don't think you'd be trying those alt-eating, buffet-inducing maneuvers in a real P-38 :P

i'm not sure. i've seen shows that've talked of a pilot that got jumped by 4 or 5 me109's, and he pretty much out turned them, and was able to get outta dodge.
 then there was that dogfights episode on the p38......but dogfights is about as good as the brady bunch movie.......

i don't concern myself with how they handled compared to the real ones.....i'm happy that htc takes all of their time and efforts to do what they do, but i mainly concern myself with what they aircraft do in here. what can i do better inmy p38 than you can in your spit9? or your me109? that's what i worry about.

of course, the other thing that's massive fun, if you like to experiment, i can prove to you that aluminum is magnetic.

fly in your 38 to the nearest furball. drop in, and start turning with them. every red guy in that furball will come after your 38.  :noid :rofl :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 05:51:51 PM »

Tough to compare things like that to how they were handled historically, even a two week noob often puts more hours into a particular airframe than many of the historical pilots before they were flying their first combat missions, plus the price of failure is cheap here.  In general I'd say that most AH pilots push their airframes harder and preform more hazardous manuvers than were attempted historically.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 10:52:40 PM »
I auger my cartoon p38 on the regular.. I wouldnt want to see what would happen in the real thing.  Bring a chute.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 11:05:51 PM »
I auger my cartoon p38 on the regular.. I wouldnt want to see what would happen in the real thing.  Bring a chute.

what generally gets me, is the guy that says "i could've done that"......yet he;s never even felt 2 g's....

i love flying in a 172,.,...and when i can, my buddies super decathalon........but i don't for a second think i could ever fly one of these in rl.......and would never detract from the heros that did, by trying to say i can.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)