Author Topic: Turn speed for the F4U-1  (Read 954 times)

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
Turn speed for the F4U-1
« on: August 05, 2009, 12:03:45 PM »
What is the best turn speed for the F4u-1? Also how did they get the plane to go so straight in the rolling scissors? I always end up nose down and in the dirt after a few barrel rolls?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
Re: Turn speed for the F4U-1
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 01:28:03 PM »
http://www.my2cents.co.nz/AKUAG/Resources_Files/PerfComp.aspx

Great resource for your first question. Props to Spatula.

BTW... looks like 150mph is the magic number with flaps up. (Sustained turn)

Not sure about the best instantaneous turn speed though... Hopefully someone has the numbers - I find it's usually in the 200 - 250mph range in most planes. Sorry if I'm wrong here.

Hopefully someone who explains things better than I answers your second question.  :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:43:31 PM by Qrsu »
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 01:50:59 PM »
Out of curiosity... I upped a -1 and attempted to figure out the corner velocity for myself. Not really sure if I did it properly but I was able to pull a 6g turn when I reached 275-280mph IAS (white needle) with flaps up. Hopefully someone comes along and corrects me on this.  :)
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 02:17:02 PM »
What is the best turn speed for the F4u-1? Also how did they get the plane to go so straight in the rolling scissors? I always end up nose down and in the dirt after a few barrel rolls?

Here is the EM diagram for the F4U1 with the corner velocity and best sustained turn speed.

You don't necessarily want your aircraft to go straight, you always fly BFM relative to to an opponent, so if you are having trouble maintaining altitude, there is a good chance your opponent is also. The rolling scissors may descend, but that's not as important as where you are relative to your opponent, until you get close to ground level. If you are losing altitude much more rapidly than your opponent, it may be due to excessive use of rudder, flaps or other excessive control commands.

Hope that helps   
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 02:24:21 PM »
http://www.my2cents.co.nz/AKUAG/Resources_Files/PerfComp.aspx

Great resource for your first question. Props to Spatula.

BTW... looks like 150mph is the magic number with flaps up. (Sustained turn)

Not sure about the best instantaneous turn speed though... Hopefully someone has the numbers - I find it's usually in the 200 - 250mph range in most planes. Sorry if I'm wrong here.

Hopefully someone who explains things better than I answers your second question.  :)

just as a note....the above link does still work however the AKUAG site has now changed to http://www.major.geek.nz/AKUAG/News.aspx and the related information when " my2cents" changes will be http://www.major.geek.nz/AKUAG/Resources_Files/PerfComp.aspx

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 02:24:38 PM »
Also how did they get the plane to go so straight in the rolling scissors?
Good afternoon Flushed,

I got ya email reply.will look for ya at those times......

in what reference are you refering to, in the above quote regarding going straight in a rolling scissors?

you can explain to me this afternoon/evening or explain here either is ok..am just curious to what you are refering/questioning about?
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 02:41:57 PM »
Sorry if I'm derailing this off-topic... but is there a way to get a hold of those E-M charts for all aircraft somehow, Badboy? I'd greatly appreciate it.
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 03:03:15 PM »

in what reference are you refering to, in the above quote regarding going straight in a rolling scissors?

There was a film posted by Badboy in one of the boards, can't find it again, about the rolling scissors.
I tried this last night starting at 5k altitude did a break turn then into a barrel roll after 3 rolls i was nose down and heading to the deck fast. in the video this maneuver was done in a straight line with the other plane which i think was a spit passing the f4u. Maybe this maneuver is a little over my skill level at this time and i should concentrate on more on basics.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 03:31:36 PM »

There was a film posted by Badboy in one of the boards, can't find it again, about the rolling scissors.

This film?  http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/rollingscissors/rollingscissors.htm

here is the Aces High Training Forum thread, discussing that film:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,184939

That is a film of me and another Veteran F4U pilot flying the rolling scissors in a dogfight, that Badboy was so Gracious to annotate and explain the concepts of what all happens during executing a rolling scissors

Flushed (wgmount) check your email and download/install the head position files I emailed you.I am fixing to log in to meet you right now....

also check out that Link I sent you regarding F4U flap settings...... we will be discussing this in the TA here in a bit.......

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 03:34:32 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 04:30:15 PM »
just as a note....the above link does still work however the AKUAG site has now changed to http://www.major.geek.nz/AKUAG/News.aspx and the related information when " my2cents" changes will be http://www.major.geek.nz/AKUAG/Resources_Files/PerfComp.aspx

Yup, i no longer own the my2cents.co.nz domain. My new domain is major.geek.nz So as Spkmes/Tongs mentioned, the new link to my site is
http://www.major.geek.nz/AKUAG/

The my2cents link still works as the new owner hasnt changed the DNS settings - but that will change at some point. Please use
http://www.major.geek.nz/AKUAG/

My signature below has been updated.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 04:58:38 PM »
Sorry if I'm derailing this off-topic... but is there a way to get a hold of those E-M charts for all aircraft somehow, Badboy? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Badboy's diagrams are fantastic. You can do you own easy testing to give you some comparable data by using his bootstrap calculator:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,233819.0.html

Here's my testing with the bootstrap calculator:

Oh and, BTW, the F4u1 is my favourite Hog!
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 05:50:49 PM »
Thank you for the replies. so far the f4u1 is my favorite also, although I'm only good at wrecking it in a fight, I hope with TC's help that'll cange pretty quick and the guys laughing at me when they shoot me will soon get their mouths closed  :devil Man, I didn't know there was so much to learn when I took up this new hobby after seeing it on the history channel.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 06:28:37 PM »
:devil Man, I didn't know there was so much to learn when I took up this new hobby after seeing it on the history channel.

:) And THAT is why this game is so amazing.

TC was my very first trainer and in just a few hours he opened my eyes to a few small tricks that have made a very big difference.  My only regret is that it was just a few hours (IIRC life got a little hectic for both of us around then).  Stick with it--the Corsair will give you plenty of chances to have fun in the MA, regardless of what you run across.

:salute
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 06:38:36 PM »
TC was my very first trainer and in just a few hours he opened my eyes to a few small tricks that have made a very big difference.  My only regret is that it was just a few hours (IIRC life got a little hectic for both of us around then). Stick with it--the Corsair will give you plenty of chances to have fun in the MA, regardless of what you run across.

Agreed. There's not many aircraft in the game you can say can meet any other opponent and have a better than average chance of walking away from.

One of the best impromptu duels I've ever had in the Mains was running into TC--my F4U-1A vs. his 1D--during a battle for an airfield. Somehow we found a corner of the fight at about 10,000-12,000ft where we were able to mix it up without outside interference.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 07:04:25 PM »
Flushed,

I'll be in the TA after 9:00 tonight, if you want some more stick time.  As I mentioned before while working with ya, stick time is very important.  The more you fly it the more you will learn it, and the more the appropriate reaction will become reflex.

BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat