Author Topic: Differences in the F4U variants.  (Read 1166 times)

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
Differences in the F4U variants.
« on: August 06, 2009, 12:30:01 PM »
What are the differences in the F4U variants? According to the charts I see turn Radius between the 1c and 1d and ordinance load but what else is there?

Flushed
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Re: Differences in the F4U variants.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 12:50:38 PM »
Here is an excerpt from something I wrote up for some squaddies...  I might have a point or two wrong (I'm sure we'll find out ;) ) but it should get you started:

Edit - DISCLAIMER: I do not recommend trying to turnfight Spit V's or Zekes unless you like seeing the tower an awful lot.  It can be a blast trying, however.

THE DIFFERENT CORSAIRS

F4U-1:
The earliest model, and IMO the most agile in the horizontal.  It has the worst climb rate and acceleration of the group, which are two things that really don’t help it in the vertical.  Nonetheless, it is a great perk farmer and a more than capable bird.  This is the one I used to fly the most before they introduced the -1A.  A well flown -1 can keep up in a knife fight with just about any plane in the game.  If you have some alt below you, you can even mix it up with Spitfire’s and Zekes (I’d recommend a TON of practice, and excellent gunnery, if you want to try this in the MA).

F4U-1A:
This is my current favorite model, and is, IMO the best non-perked aircraft in the game for my kind of flying style.  Although acceleration and climb are still not good, it is marginally better than in the -1.  A pure dogfighter, and if you run into one in the MA, you know the guy intends to fight.

F4U-1C:
The C-Hog is a Corsair with firepower.  Four 20mm hispano cannons can blast the bad guys out of the skies with a short burst, and the ballistics are good enough to hit longer ranged targets.  The downside is the C-Hog is slightly less maneuverable.  Most don’t see this as a huge handicap, but then again most don’t try and turn fight Spit V’s in these things, where you need every scrap of performance you can get.  You might really enjoy it.  I rarely fly it.

F4U-1D:
This is the most common variant in AH, simply because it’s the only non-perked Corsair that can carry more than one bomb.  Prior to the introduction of the -1A, it was considered, by some, to be slightly better overall at dog fighting than the -1 on account of improved vertical performance.  Generally speaking, a -1D is the mark of an inferior pilot, but you can only hope for that – not expect it.  There are some extremely talented sticks who still favor the -1D (BluKitty being the prime example) and they can ruin your day if you aren’t prepared for them.  Luckily, most of the guys who fly this will also try to shoot you on the first merge, betraying the fact that they aren’t that good.  You can then proceed to eat them up.

F4U-4:
Considered by many to be the absolute best aircraft in the game.  This thing is a BEAST.  The reason for this is that all of the Corsairs are nearly beasts, but each has the Achilles heel of poor acceleration and climb rate.  The -4 corrects those problems.  You can do all the things an earlier Corsair can do, plus all the things an earlier Corsair can not.  If you have never had the pleasure of seeing what this bird is truly capable of, take one up in the DA’s furball zone.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 12:54:10 PM by Vudak »
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 12:54:35 PM »
Fuel capacity and top speed varies among the variants, too.  I'll let one of the experts explain...but the 1A is faster than 1D.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 01:47:28 PM »
F4U-1 - As Vudak said, poor acceleration and sustained rate of climb. The Birdcage is actually in the bottom third in that regard, although it's the third-fastet Hog once she gets going. Ordinance options for up to 1 1000lb bomb or drop tank. You should VERY rarely need a drop tank in the -1, however. She has two extra fuel tanks, one in each wing. Combat radius under 1.0 fuel burn with only internal fuel exceeds 400 miles (both ways) with plenty of gas for extended combat in between if you use cruise settings.

F4U-1A - Take the F4U-1 and give her the acceleration and rate of climb of the 1D. She's marginally faster than the -1 Birdcage and is the most agile of the Hogs, certainly with the tightest turn radius (sorry Vudak, you're wrong on that count). The 1A has the same wing tanks as the -1, so the same exceptional range on internal fuel. The 1A is also somewhat more stable than the -1 due to the addition of the stall strip in the right wing. Top speed is right around 425mph at 20,000ft.

F4U-1D - Primarily a fighter-bomber variant. She's slower than the -1 and -1A (~405 mph at 20,000ft). She feels somewhat lighter, however this is a bit deceptive as the -1 and 1A carry more fuel. Ordinance is increased to 2 1000lb bombs and 8 5" HVARs (historically, she could carry an additional bomb or drop tank on the center rack up to 2000lb). Range on internal fuel is roughly half that of the 1 and 1A, but can be extended with drop tanks.

F4U-1C - The 1C is the slowest (by 1-2mph over the D) and least agile (minutely) of the Hogs, to the point where any difference really comes down to the pilot. 20mm cannon in place of the .50cal. She carries the same bomb load as the 1D, but only 4 HVAR. Range is roughly the same as the 1D.

F4U-4 - As Vudak said, this is a beast. Top speed exceeding 450mph at 20,000ft. Acceleration and rate of climb aren't at Spitfire levels, but DRASTICALLY improved over the earlier Hogs. Same ordinance load as the 1D. She has a slightly smaller internal fuel tank, and her engine is more gas-hungry so range on internal fuel is the shortest of all the Corsairs.

You can get much mroe specific information here:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/F4U
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 02:05:02 PM »
F4U-1 - As Vudak said, poor acceleration and sustained rate of climb. The Birdcage is actually in the bottom third in that regard, although it's the third-fastet Hog once she gets going. Ordinance options for up to 1 1000lb bomb or drop tank. You should VERY rarely need a drop tank in the -1, however. She has two extra fuel tanks, one in each wing. Combat radius under 1.0 fuel burn with only internal fuel exceeds 400 miles (both ways) with plenty of gas for extended combat in between if you use cruise settings.

F4U-1A - Take the F4U-1 and give her the acceleration and rate of climb of the 1D. She's marginally faster than the -1 Birdcage and is the most agile of the Hogs, certainly with the tightest turn radius (sorry Vudak, you're wrong on that count). The 1A has the same wing tanks as the -1, so the same exceptional range on internal fuel. The 1A is also somewhat more stable than the -1 due to the addition of the stall strip in the right wing. Top speed is right around 425mph at 20,000ft.

F4U-1D - Primarily a fighter-bomber variant. She's slower than the -1 and -1A (~405 mph at 20,000ft). She feels somewhat lighter, however this is a bit deceptive as the -1 and 1A carry more fuel. Ordinance is increased to 2 1000lb bombs and 8 5" HVARs (historically, she could carry an additional bomb or drop tank on the center rack up to 2000lb). Range on internal fuel is roughly half that of the 1 and 1A, but can be extended with drop tanks.

F4U-1C - The 1C is the slowest (by 1-2mph over the D) and least agile (minutely) of the Hogs, to the point where any difference really comes down to the pilot. 20mm cannon in place of the .50cal. She carries the same bomb load as the 1D, but only 4 HVAR. Range is roughly the same as the 1D.

F4U-4 - As Vudak said, this is a beast. Top speed exceeding 450mph at 20,000ft. Acceleration and rate of climb aren't at Spitfire levels, but DRASTICALLY improved over the earlier Hogs. Same ordinance load as the 1D. She has a slightly smaller internal fuel tank, and her engine is more gas-hungry so range on internal fuel is the shortest of all the Corsairs.

You can get much mroe specific information here:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/F4U

Good to know, Saxman, thanks for the heads up :aok

Edit - not to nitpick - but how are you defining agile?  I'm wondering if "going with" the slight instability of the -1 compared to the 1A is why I think of it as more agile.  Just curious is all.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 02:07:44 PM by Vudak »
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 06:03:27 PM »
I'm with Vudak,

I always considered the -1 slightly more agile in a pure stall fight then the 1a.  I agree with the 1a being the better dogfighter for sure, no arguments there.  Curious as well as to your thoughts Saxman.  All in all I consider most of the hogs prety close in performance, excepting the -4, where it normally comes down to pilot rather then the model of hog.

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 06:41:06 PM »
I prefer the -1 over the -1A mainly because i find them pretty much indistinguishable in sustained turns, and i get more perkies in a -1. To be fair i havent flown the 1A much. If the 1C was not perked it would be my fav -1 hog by a long way. What it looses (and by a very tiny amount) in speed and manoeuvrability, is more than made up for by its ability to stop a fight (4x20mm hizookas) much faster than a 50cal armed aircraft. In a scissoring, stall fight which the Hog is THE master of, the numerous snapshots which are presented are best capitalized on by the 20mm hizookas. The stopping power of the 1C trumps the other 1 series hogs, IMO, for the way i fly them at least.

The -4 is a MONSTER. Easily the best piston aircraft in the set.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 06:55:05 PM »
Good to know, Saxman, thanks for the heads up :aok

Edit - not to nitpick - but how are you defining agile?  I'm wondering if "going with" the slight instability of the -1 compared to the 1A is why I think of it as more agile.  Just curious is all.

Combine the fact that rate of roll and turn rate is the same, but the 1A also has a tighter turning radius and improved vertical performance. Equal pilots, the 1A will get around on her in both horizontal and vertical.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 08:00:39 PM »
I fly both the -1 and -1A, primarily the -1 if I know I'm gonna be fighting without a lot of help, partially because I like flying it and it's distinctive skin, and also because the birdcage doesn't bother me nearly as much as the armor plate on the top in the -1A.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 03:34:11 AM »
Combine the fact that rate of roll and turn rate is the same, but the 1A also has a tighter turning radius and improved vertical performance. Equal pilots, the 1A will get around on her in both horizontal and vertical.

I always felt like I could get a bit more out of a -1 in a knife fight, assuming the guy wasn't using too many verticals, but I suppose that was probably my head playing tricks on me.  Thanks for clearing it up, and sorry for the misinformation, wgmount!
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 07:40:58 AM »
The difference isn't a significant one, though, so pilot ability is going to account for a lot between the two.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 07:53:30 AM »
The F4U4 is the only one worth taking up.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 08:06:17 AM »
The F4U4 is the only one worth taking up.

your choice  :D

I prefer the F4U-1 ( birdcage canopy ), for it's fuel loadout options, ( and to my view ) it's longer legs regarding fuel.....this is my pick for Dog Fighting mode only.......

I like the F4U-1C but honestly.if you can't hit with the 6 50's , what makes ya gonna be any better with 4 cannons?

The F4U1D is great for Attack Mode, then being able to dogfight afterwards.......( the F4U1C is also great for attack mode.......)

Everyone or most everyone says the F4U4 is best prop plane in the game ( although its perked ) but even with the DT(s) it simply isn't worth it in my opinion to fly the thing.......I guess because I actually prefer to fight and not POunce, extend, pounce, RUN, reverse, pounce, extend, oops oops.they chasing me.run run run to the ack........ :rofl

I like the F4U-1A but rarely fly it for the simple reason of that monstrosity of armor headplate/canopy cover seems so much larger than life......( same goes for the F4U1C, F4U1D & F4U4 )

am glad they listened to ( I give credit mainly to Saxman ) for readdressing the load out options on the F4U-1A and having it the same as the F4U-1........this was a major drawback until they updated it....... :aok
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 09:39:59 AM »

Everyone or most everyone says the F4U4 is best prop plane in the game ( although its perked ) but even with the DT(s) it simply isn't worth it in my opinion to fly the thing.......I guess because I actually prefer to fight and not POunce, extend, pounce, RUN, reverse, pounce, extend, oops oops.they chasing me.run run run to the ack........ :rofl

On the other hand, if you have someone who's willing to fight aggressively with the -4 (pretty much anywhere other than the DA) she's a nasty one to deal with.

I like the F4U-1A but rarely fly it for the simple reason of that monstrosity of armor headplate/canopy cover seems so much larger than life......( same goes for the F4U1C, F4U1D & F4U4 )

I agree on the canopy cover. Looking at photos, the cover plate in the game restricts visibility FAR more than what it would have for real. The question is, is it because the plate was modelled incorrectly, or is it the known field-of-view issues in the game?

Although most F4U-4s didn't even HAVE the plate to begin with, so I wish HTC would remove it....

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 11:02:33 AM »
I finally flew them all in the DA last night, except for the -1a,  got it on the runway looked out the back and ended my sortie. I liked the -1c a little better in the furball because of only getting snapshots then having to get defensive almost as soon as i saddled up on some one. They don't fly long after hitting them with those guns. I still need work fighting at lower alts. It seems everytime i touch the rudder near the ground I stall. It seemed to me the -4 climbed a little better. I did find it a little harder to hit my targets in the -1c than the -1, anyone know of a way to improve marksmanship? I have been riding around in the TA with the friendly lock on to get sight pictures. My aim has improved a little in the turns but i did miss a tempest from 200 yards last night :cry. Overall I'd say I still like the -1 best.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken