Author Topic: New Apartment Smells like Cigarretes  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
New Apartment Smells like Cigarretes
« on: August 13, 2009, 08:42:08 PM »
I just moved into my new apartment. The people that lived here before me were heavy smokers. The carpet was replaced and the apartment has been painted, yet it still smells like smoke. I have had the windows and doors open trying to air it out, I bought a plant to help clean the air a little, I have a couple air fresheners scattered throughout the apartment... yet there doesn't seem to be any result. Considering the apartment has been painted and the carpet is brand new, I do not know what to clean. Does anyone have any recommendations or proven home remedies?

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
Re: New Apartment Smells like Cigarretes
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 08:52:41 PM »
http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/odor-removal/how-to-get-rid-of-smoke-smell/

The activated charcoal bit looks like something to try.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline SoonerMP

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 08:54:12 PM »
Well, I guess you could start smoking to mask the old smell of cigarettes with the new smell of cigarettes therefor defeating your problem. The only setback is heart disease, cancer etc....

In all honesty, I am not sure if there is a tried and true way since that is a tough smell to get rid of. More than likely the tar has leached into the walls making it a permanent resident. I would buy a bunch of febreeze and go wild on the place. If the stench is still there then complain to the landlords and they might let you move into a new unit.

S.A.P.P. Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Blame Karaya 2008-2012       Death From Above - MA (inactive)

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 09:14:36 PM »
I didn't watch mensa180's video yet, but I'll check it out.

We had the same problem in our last apartment.  The management brought in a device that ionized the air and ran it for three days while we were out of town.  It didn't completely rid the oder, but it was order of magnitude better.  I think car detailers sometimes use these devices too.   Anyone know what they are called?

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 09:15:50 PM »
Raptor,

There is a product on the market that may help!

they are used to remove odor,from solvents, paint and smoke damage.

Interestingly enough they can be found at headshops and magazines that cater to the use and growth of a certain green substance.

They are available in small puck shaped cans,worth a look.....

:salute

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 12:10:39 AM »
If it's grimed up all the walls & ceiling, won't a coat of KILZ take care of that?  Of course, then you'd have to paint over it, then the house would smell like paint instead of cigarettes.

Oh, but I think I just saw a commercial for paint w/KILZ mixed in it... that would take just one coat. I'd make the overlord pay for professionals to come in & do it though, instead of you. :)
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 01:28:14 AM »
I'd buy some cheap hand towels and hit the walls, then Kilz them after removing what you could on the "once-over".   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 02:34:19 AM »
I had a fire in my guesthouse last year. So, it stunk heavily, and I needed the stink out right away so I wouldn't have to re-route all the tourists that were booked.
Since I knew of no specialized product that would take care of it, we did lots of cooking in there (roast lamb etc) to hijack the smell, - so to speak. It worked.
Lots of washing and drying the laundry inside helps as well. Airing also helps. Painting helps.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 02:42:54 AM »
I don't know how well it will vork in an apartment, but a bowl of strong vineager usually does the trick in cars.

The Few GFC

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 05:06:52 AM »
Try washing the walls with vinegar and baking soda, Put a rag with vanilla extract in the vents. It will go away eventually. Maybe get a clean air machine. Good luck!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 05:12:30 AM »
There are commercial smell removers that are pretty effective.

I have a spray bottle that will remove almost any odor with a couple puffs. Some anti-odor products are non toxic and actually used mixed to cattle food in some places.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Stixx

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 07:07:55 AM »
I just moved into my new apartment. The people that lived here before me were heavy smokers. The carpet was replaced and the apartment has been painted, yet it still smells like smoke. I have had the windows and doors open trying to air it out, I bought a plant to help clean the air a little, I have a couple air fresheners scattered throughout the apartment... yet there doesn't seem to be any result. Considering the apartment has been painted and the carpet is brand new, I do not know what to clean. Does anyone have any recommendations or proven home remedies?

Is the woodwork painted or natural? What about the cabinetry? New carpet and paint should have solved the problem unless the trim or cabinets were left untouched.
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in military aviation are:'Did you feel that?' 'What's that noise?' and'Oh S...!'
-Authors Unknown-

Offline vonKrimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 07:35:27 AM »
Get a cat; get LOTS of cats.  This will render your smoke smell issue null and void.

Fight Like a Girl

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 08:09:59 AM »
You gotta get the ducts cleaned.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 08:39:02 AM »
Your nose isn't lying to you.  While you figure out how to get rid of the smell, you're inhaling whatever compounds are responsible for it.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!