Author Topic: Down Draft  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Down Draft
« on: August 14, 2009, 11:05:10 PM »
The purpose of the down draft is to keep the fight under a set altitude.

So what's the point of having it when you're cruising at that altitude, only to see another squad diving down from 2000ft overhead?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline TwinTail

• Nickel Member
Re: Down Draft
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 11:59:57 PM »
the down draft being to little a speed frame 1 was discussed, apparently nothinf done about it? frame 1 i was cruising way over 30k in a a6m5 with little resistance other than service ceiling.

TT
d-40 and d-11 easily out turn a spixteen
==*Top Gun*==
TwinTail

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:16:22 AM »
Sax, you got any film on this one?
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 12:26:59 AM »
One of my squad did. Do you want the film itself, or screen caps?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 01:08:08 AM »

So what's the point of having it when you're cruising at that altitude, only to see another squad diving down from 2000ft overhead?
s.

I know when we met you guys around 45 minutes in you were at 23K and dove on us. Blkwulf and Viper65 cruised in right afterward at 29.5K in their F4Us doing about 300 MPH so I do not think the wind was set right either. Also I noticed enemy icon range was 6K. Was this on purpose? I didn't go through all the setup parameters, just thought about it. Let me know if you need the film Stoney.  :salute
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 02:17:14 AM »
NO ONE in my squadron was above 24,000ft tonight. In fact, Viper65 wasn't even online this week, so you're probably thinking last week's frame (even then, no one in my squadron was above 24,000ft then that I'm aware of, either). The only con we saw below us all night was a single scout we spotted near 96.

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 02:46:46 AM »
NO ONE in my squadron was above 24,000ft tonight. In fact, Viper65 wasn't even online this week, so you're probably thinking last week's frame (even then, no one in my squadron was above 24,000ft then that I'm aware of, either). The only con we saw below us all night was a single scout we spotted near 96.

My bad, it was last week, I totally spaced today was Friday and missed FSO.  :salute
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 07:11:49 AM »
Sax, have him send me the .ahf file.  During the frame, I saw your message on country about them being above the downdraft.  It was still quiet where we were, so I pulled up and through 24,000 and then hit auto-level.  I was in an F4U and the aircraft couldn't maintain level flight at full throttle.  That being said, I want to see the film and then determine if I can replicate what you described.  If there's some sort of fairy dust that allows the Zeke to stay above that altitude and fly normally, the CM's need to know as it is a method we use to regulate altitude.

Last week, it was a setting issue, and that was taken care of.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 09:21:39 AM »
Ki-61s. I'll have him get you the film.

Offline CHAPPY

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 10:22:21 AM »
My scout intercepted you guys by 96 and followed.
I split my squad up into 3 groups. 2 in front, which you engaged first.
they where lower than you about 15-18k.
My group which came in you guys didnt see us because you where turnin to engage the other groups.
You guys turned perfectly in front of my group which was no higher than 24k, but we had alot of speed.
Thats when the fight started.
We lost 1 guy loondog which he was a scout to the south, in that engagement.

I will check if 1 of my squad has film. I know for a fact that noone was above 24k.
I was flight lead of highest group at 24k, the wind would blow us down any higher.

Offline Dustoff2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 10:22:54 AM »
upon reviewing my film. UnclKurt reported Ki-61's 30k+ at about 28 min. into the frame as well.
AKDust
Arabian Knights

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 01:44:27 PM »

Not true.  Simply not true.  :aok  You tried to jump our group of 5 KI-61s.  We were below you.

Ki-61s. I'll have him get you the film.

:lol

You simply gave up your alt.  That's why another group came in over you.

It was a thing of beauty to see you drop on our group of 5 KI-61s.  Especially knowing the rest of our squad was turning into you unseen. A perfect setup.  Our vox got a shot of adrenaline when we saw you coming in blind to the fact that our larger group was unseen and coming in hot.  :x

You can search the film all you want, but all your gonna find is that you saw a group of 5 KI-61 lower than you and you attacked.

You were not attacked at 24k from a group of KI-61s at 26k.  Not even close.

I doubt anyone will post film, because I know it will show what I have recalled.

If the video shows otherwise, I'll be happy to leave FSO forever.

:rofl

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 02:01:52 PM »
Still waiting on film Sax...  I'll PM you my email...

HiTech

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 02:23:25 PM »
Stoney,

I let the guy who has it know. Waiting on his response.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 03:18:22 PM by Saxman »

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 02:26:27 PM »
upon reviewing my film. UnclKurt reported Ki-61's 30k+ at about 28 min. into the frame as well.

If I'm thinking of the same thing..

I believe what UnclKurt said was Ki61s 30+ , I made the mistake he was referring to alt, but when questioned he said he was referring to the number of planes.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane