Author Topic: New Apartment Smells like Cigarretes  (Read 1252 times)

Offline betty

• Gold Member
Re: New Apartment Smells like Cigarretes
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2009, 10:55:28 PM »
I just moved into my new apartment. The people that lived here before me were heavy smokers. The carpet was replaced and the apartment has been painted, yet it still smells like smoke. I have had the windows and doors open trying to air it out, I bought a plant to help clean the air a little, I have a couple air fresheners scattered throughout the apartment... yet there doesn't seem to be any result. Considering the apartment has been painted and the carpet is brand new, I do not know what to clean. Does anyone have any recommendations or proven home remedies?

try a air purifier....seems like the paint and new carpet would have taken that smell out, not sure what else to try
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2009, 11:36:35 PM »
Try giving it a real paint job rather then the one they supposedly gave you before you moved in.

Common things done to apartments.
Whack attack -Take 1 gallon of water and add it to 5 gallons of paint. spray it on and what you end up with is an apartment that looks oober clean but in reality only has the thinnest of coats on it.

This isnt always entirely the painters fault. Typically this is often the result of ever escalating labor and material costs (even the wetbacks wont work cheap anymore) and the property owner refusing to agree top a higher price or gets someone who is cheaper. and there is ALWAYS someone who is cheaper. who usually either do the same thing from the get go. Or do a "splash and dash" job then bill for the apt as though the entire thing was painted
typically the spash N dash paint job. they come in and just hit the walls and doors & frames that look bad.
so rather then loose the contract to the complex. they are forced to cheat too. Heh. Its even worse if the complex''s own maintenance crew does the painting as they usually try to get away with even more.

Now to be fair, not all apartment complexes are like that. There are a few around here that both the contractors involved and the complex itself is very dedicated to keeping the apartments in near pristine conditions

Ask your landlord or at the leasing office for a small container of touch up paint. Provide em with a coffee can and they usually oblige.
Then go around with a Wiz roller and hit a spot on each wall and see what it looks like when it dries.
( note it might not be absolutely exact because of application difference but it should be barely noticeable and only when looking at it from certain angles)If they dont blend in near perfectly  when loooking at it straight on. Then what you got  was a splash & dash paintjob

Also. look around the wall plates. do you see a noticable square around them?
Thats another sign that your apartment was only "touched up" and not fully painted.

Another part of your "smoke" problem might be in the air vents Try popping off the vent covers and see if thats where the smell is coming from.
Might wanna check the air filters too and see if they were changed
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2009, 08:19:15 PM »
Mbailey,that "badair sponge" is the product I was refering to!

I've heard it works well for the staement I made above. :aok

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2009, 04:40:09 PM »
I didn't watch mensa180's video yet, but I'll check it out.

We had the same problem in our last apartment.  The management brought in a device that ionized the air and ran it for three days while we were out of town.  It didn't completely rid the oder, but it was order of magnitude better.  I think car detailers sometimes use these devices too.   Anyone know what they are called?

Yeah, it is an Ozone machine.  It makes your ride smell funky, but gets rid of the smoke smells.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2009, 05:39:31 PM »
2 things....... 

Did they paint the ceilings as well?  If the walls/ceilings were not scrubbed/sanded before re-painting, you have the old walls "breathing" on you.  Some 409 on them to get dirt off isn't going to do it. 

They ripped up the old carpet you say?  Or they put carpet over flooring?
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Coach

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
I'm a huge believer in Ozone machines.  Dad brought home our first one in the 60s.  I even had one on my swimming pool and it reduced chemical use by over half. 

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2009, 08:47:21 PM »
Call the housing commission. File a complaint the landlord will place you in a habitable apt.

KAM