Author Topic: Arena Cap suggestion  (Read 1924 times)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Arena Cap suggestion
« on: August 21, 2009, 09:44:03 PM »
So I'm in Orange and Rooks and Bish have #'s  (rooks the most) and Knights are very short handed and getting it from both sides.  (fun sometimes)

So I move to Blue and Knights have huge numbers, and Rooks are the short handed country (go figure).

Both arena choices were unacceptable if I want to fly as a Knight.  Be the hoard or get hoarded gets old fast.  (for me anyway)  I could (and often do) change countries, but I have an idea that I wanted to toss out there that might fix the whole situation.

Is it POSSIBLE to COAD it so arenas are open/closed not based on total number of players but the number of players on a certain team.  Tie it to ENY perhaps?

Example.

ORANGE
Bishops: 100
Knights:  75
Rooks:  125

Total # of players in Orange is 300

If you are a Knight or a Bishop you could log into Orange.  If you are Rook you can not.

BLUE
Knights:  125
Rooks: 75
Total # of players in Blue is 300

If you are a Rook or a Bishop you could join Blue.  If you are Knight you can not.

If both arenas were balanced you could log into EITHER arena.

By doing it this way a player would be "locked out" of one of the LW's for a far shorter time.  I doesn't take that many players to shift ENY and balance the sides out.

The arenas would be balanced from the get-go so all in all there would be hardly any wait time to fly in the arena of choice (numbers like the above examples just wouldn't happen).

You would end up with two Late War arenas that are reasonably balanced and fun fight to be had by all.

I propose that these limitations kick in when ENY hits around 10-15 ish so this idea would also all but eliminate ENY restrictions.  As soon as a country hits 15 ENY only players on the other country can log in and the sides balance out and ENY drops down quick.

Opinions?  I for one think this would work and work well.

(edited out the change sides in lobby bit)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 11:59:12 PM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
Re: Arena Cap suggestion
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 10:01:25 PM »
Or, make it where when you log in, it automatically puts you in the low number team. So when player 1 logs in, he might go bish cause they have lower numbers. then player 22 logs in, but he goes knights cause they have low numbers. that way, all sides remain somewhat even.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

"There is always a small microcosm of people who need to explain away their suckage."

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 10:27:14 PM »
It's been talked about before. And, even though it makes a lot of sense when you first enter an arena to pop a message with side totals and to give you a choice of the (one or two) lowest-number sides, too many people would complain.  They all want to fly for "their country" in teh l337 Orange arena and will stomp their feet, pout and threaten to quit the game forever if they can't get there.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 10:37:48 PM »
This isn't asking anybody to change sides.  The "change sides in the lobby" bit was just something I tossed in.

With my idea in place both LW arenas would stay roughly "balanced" and wait time to enter an arena would be very low, or non-existent.  (as would ENY)

(edit:  one thing to consider is Titanic Tuesday.  On TT most all three sides are relatively "balanced".  My suggestion does not make anybody fly a certain country, but only limits which arena you can fly in.  (which we have right now)  Unlike what we have now my suggestion would both balance the sides and prevent any players from being locked out of either LW arena for very long.  It takes fewer players to drop a sides ENY under 15 than it does to move the Arena Cap as it currently is)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 11:07:49 PM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 10:55:52 PM »
Or, make it where when you log in, it automatically puts you in the low number team. So when player 1 logs in, he might go bish cause they have lower numbers. then player 22 logs in, but he goes knights cause they have low numbers. that way, all sides remain somewhat even.

No way!!!!!
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 11:41:47 PM »
I'm w/ ya Lute!  :aok

I just got reamed from this post not too long ago   :D   :x

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,269721.0.html

Here are some of the responses I got...

here's a thought. don't like game play at the time.....log off and go fishing. 

Your consistent screen shots of moments in time in regards to the "cap" are one of those things in life that in the total picture ... means crap ... along with the fact that it will not change HiTech's mind.

your angst over the "cap" is what is classless and indecent.

Either learn to live with it, or go play WoW.

So I guess your only recourse is to shut up and live with it, or take your money and go somewhere else.

IMHO you are wasting the community's time and space on a dead subject

We are mostly just sick and tired of hearing your frustration -- yet again.

Opening Blue on TT is counter-intuitive to having TT so that would be invalid.  Go bowling on Tuesday, HTC already has your money so they don't care.

Good Luck  :aok
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 11:46:26 PM by DMBEAR »

Offline PK1Mw

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 11:53:09 PM »
I think if the ENY went off amount of people in flight, it would be a lot different.

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 12:04:15 AM »
It's also been suggested that those inactive for a certain amount of time go "POOF" too.  :aok

Offline PK1Mw

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 12:15:33 AM »
I can careless if they get kicked out of the arena, just think they should base it off of people in flight.

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 12:26:00 AM »
I got ya.   :aok I don't think I was stepping on your opinion.

I'm just adding another.  Main point is cap and its unballancing effect.

Get rid of those inactive and you get a better balance of active players.  :aok
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 01:07:42 AM by DMBEAR »

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 01:07:27 AM »
I still swear this was tried when the arenas first split.

There was a que in the OC.  You could:

A.  Try another arena
B.  Switch countries
C.  Wait until an opening became available.

Apparently this is just all in my head.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 01:09:10 AM »
I still swear this was tried when the arenas first split.

There was a que in the OC.  You could:

A.  Try another arena
B.  Switch countries
C.  Wait until an opening became available.

Apparently this is just all in my head.

wrongway

Guess it's not workin for a variety of reasons.

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 07:58:10 AM »
So I'm in Orange and Rooks and Bish have #'s  (rooks the most) and Knights are very short handed and getting it from both sides.  (fun sometimes)

So I move to Blue and Knights have huge numbers, and Rooks are the short handed country (go figure).

Both arena choices were unacceptable if I want to fly as a Knight.  Be the hoard or get hoarded gets old fast.  (for me anyway)  I could (and often do) change countries, but I have an idea that I wanted to toss out there that might fix the whole situation.

Is it POSSIBLE to COAD it so arenas are open/closed not based on total number of players but the number of players on a certain team.  Tie it to ENY perhaps?

Example.

ORANGE
Knights:  75
Rooks:  125

Total # of players in Orange is 300

If you are a Knight or a Bishop you could log into Orange.  If you are Rook you can not.

BLUE
Knights:  125
Rooks: 75
Total # of players in Blue is 300

If you are a Rook or a Bishop you could join Blue.  If you are Knight you can not.

If both arenas were balanced you could log into EITHER arena.

By doing it this way a player would be "locked out" of one of the LW's for a far shorter time.  I doesn't take that many players to shift ENY and balance the sides out.

The arenas would be balanced from the get-go so all in all there would be hardly any wait time to fly in the arena of choice (numbers like the above examples just wouldn't happen).

You would end up with two Late War arenas that are reasonably balanced and fun fight to be had by all.

I propose that these limitations kick in when ENY hits around 10-15 ish so this idea would also all but eliminate ENY restrictions.  As soon as a country hits 15 ENY only players on the other country can log in and the sides balance out and ENY drops down quick.

Opinions?  I for one think this would work and work well.

(edited out the change sides in lobby bit)

I like this idea  :aok
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 08:30:38 AM »
Lute ... been there ... done that.

I still think this would be the best way to go ...

I will use numbers that are easiest for explanation and not the real numbers.

If ...

Orange and Blue have a cap of 100 and when an LW arena population reaches 50% of the cap, the other LW cap is increased by 50 seats.

So ...

Once Orange reaches 50 players, Blue cap is increased to 150 and Orange still has room of 50 more players before is reaches its cap.

Once the 100 cap is reached in Orange no more entry is allowed.

Now that Blue cap has been increased to 150, players will begin to fill up Blue. Once Blue reaches a population of 75 players, Orange cap will be raised to 150. At this point, people really have a choice of Orange or Blue because neither has reached their respective caps.

So at this instant we would see ...

LW1 - 50/150
LW2 - 75/150

==============================================

Now lets go back to the beginning and start again ...

Once Orange reaches 50 players, Blue cap is increased to 150 and Orange still has room of 50 more players.

Once the 100 cap is reached in Orange (current numbers in Orange are - 60 Rooks - 25 Knights - 15 Bish) and someone selects Orange while the cap has been realized, they are presented with another popup choice ...

Orange - Knights (until they reach a population of 60*)
Orange - Bish (until they reach a population of 60*)
Blue - Open for all at the moment

*60 is set by the highest single population at the point that the cap had been reached ... in this case, the Rooks had 60 when the cap was reached.

This way, someone who wants to play in Orange and is willing to join one of the weaker sides, is allowed entry. So ... If I choose Bish ... then the cap is now 101/101 ... so on and so forth until balance is achieved (R60-B60-K60 : Arena 180/180), and at that point, there is no more entry into Orange until Blue has reached its saturation point causing the cap in Orange to be increased.

So if Orange did reach 180/180 by people choosing the under populated countries and Blue eventually did reach it 50% saturation point, the new cap for Orange would be 180 + 50 = 230 so we would see ...

Orange - 180/230
Blue - 75/150

This allows entry into a "capped" arena ... as long as you choose one of the under-populated countries.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 02:06:59 PM »
Lute ... been there ... done that.

No numbers cap with my idea but they are similar.  This idea, or one very similar, HAS been suggested by several players over the years.  I know I have put it out there in a few threads.  I started this thread because I can't recall this exact idea being put forth in its own thread for consideration by HTC.

This really is a great idea.  There is only Open or Closed and I like tying it to ENY as opposed to a hard # cap.  ENY or Hard Cap is almost the same thing but by using ENY the arena opens up faster because it would be faster to drop one countries ENY than fill up a cap.  It is BETTER than a cap because this idea balances out the sides which the current setup does not.

The arena would be open or closed based on the balance of players solely. 

If all arenas are balanced then all are open.

The beauty of this idea is small numbers or large, the arenas would be balanced from the get-go.  You not only eliminate ENY for the most part but both arenas are almost always Open and switching arenas becomes more viable.

There is hardly ever an imbalance in player numbers.

My only concern is in the wee hours when 75-150 players are flying and there IS an odd number of players.

My only solution there is for them to change countries or not fly that arena.

If you HAVE to fly an arena and it is out o' whack because of the small number of players in it you CAN still join it but only if you change sides.

I don't think this would impact many "regular" players that much because you would have the new pilots who really don't have any country loyalty changing countries and balancing out the sides.

Check out the roster in an arena that has a huge country # disparity.  Many of the players on the high numbered side have no squad and many are quite new.  I doubt they would care if they are Bish, Rook or Knit.

Then you have players like myself that have no problem changing countries to balance out the sides.

The hard core "I have to fly X country" players would still get to fly their country of choice.  The players w/o country loyalty would balance things out.

During most the rest of the day you would be able to pick/choose your arena and changing sides wouldn't even come up.  (unless you wanted to that is)  Most of the day the numbers in both LW arenas combined are fairly balanced.

I really think this would work and should be tried.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 02:18:19 PM by WMLute »
— George Patton