Author Topic: The Soviet set  (Read 4278 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: The Soviet set
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 06:04:18 AM »
Those production numbers are incomplete.  You need to start from a much earlier year, as types like the I-153 and I-16 that were being produced from the mid 1930s were still serving years later.  I'm also a bit incredulous about I-16 production ending in 1942.

I think it was wmaker who even mentioned that the I-153 was active over the gulf of Finland through the Spring of 1943. :O
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 06:10:20 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 09:11:48 AM »
The Soviet set has no bomber. Thats 0%.

There are 5 major aircraft industrial players in the game, as there was in real life. USA, Britian, Germany, Japan, and The Soviet Union. Of the 5 only one doesnt have a level bomber in the game.The TU-2s is the natural choice cause it was their best bomber, as well as fitting the role of survivable attacker too.

As to the fighter needed? I have an inclination towards Yaks but theres a couple of fighters that I wouldnt mind. A Mid War bird wouldnt be a bad fit.

Still this is a great set only a few planes away from being 2nd to none.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 09:46:47 AM »
Very nice! Makes me want to see the 153 in-game. I'll have to wait for my son to arrive next week to read it to me. What a plane for pre 1942 ('37), bombs, drop tanks and is that a rocket I see.

The link to the Mig 3 is broken this morning, but I'll try again later.

Thanks again.  :salute
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 09:49:05 AM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 10:16:37 AM »

There are 5 major aircraft industrial players in the game, as there was in real life. USA, Britian, Germany, Japan, and The Soviet Union. Of the 5 only one doesnt have a level bomber in the game.The TU-2s is the natural choice cause it was their best bomber, as well as fitting the role of survivable attacker too.

Bombers:

Tu-2 is the best choice for main arena while Pe-2 is the best choice for special events. So it's hard to make a choice :)

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 10:22:46 AM »

As to the fighter needed? I have an inclination towards Yaks but theres a couple of fighters that I wouldnt mind. A Mid War bird wouldnt be a bad fit.

Still this is a great set only a few planes away from being 2nd to none.

I agree that AHII desperately needs a VVS level bomber. I just think that the Pe-2 should come in before Tu-2. If AH would only be about MA, then Tu-2 would obviously be a better choise in terms of usability. In the MA the country of origin doesn't really matter to the masses and AH already has a fast level bomber in the form B-26 and fast attack bomber in the form of A-20G. Therefore I would rather see the bomber that saw the most use historically ie. the Pe-2FT. Tu-2's effect on the MA would rather insignificant compared to the boost Pe-2FT would give to the eastern front special-event -planeset. Hopefully we'll get both.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 10:32:01 AM »
IMO the MA misses the Yak3 of 1944. The Tu-22 was fast by VVS standards and might see some usage.

The scenaraio never played in AH to its full potential is Kursk. For which we would benefit from

Yak1/Yak7 variants(Yak 1 b would be sufficient IMO)
Pe2 (almost essential)
La5/La5F/Lagg3  (one of them at least)

Panther (would definatley see MA usage IMO)
Ludere Vincere

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 10:34:45 AM »
Pe-2 was a dive bomber................
Ludere Vincere

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 10:42:40 AM »
Pe-2 was a dive bomber................

Like the Ju-88, it was capable of both dive -and level bombing.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 02:14:37 PM »
I always thought it ( the Pe2) was never fitted with a level bomb sight and bombs were always released by the pilot (diving) using a PB 1 sight (same as the Yak and Lavochkin use) I suppose  the bombs could be released in level flight but there was no (level) bomb sight to target with.

The ju88 had level sights when so equipped.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 02:50:54 PM »
I've always had the impression it indeed had a level bomb sight. It does have one in IL-2 -sim. Soviet Combat Aircraft of the Second World War Vol.2 mentions that navigator had OPB-1M as the day sight and NKPB-3 for night use for the PB-100 (the type that evolved into Pe-2). Also I have a flight manual drawing in another book showing a level bombing sight.

Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 03:03:57 PM »
In that case my knowledge was incomplete............ strange I read that very volume to check and missed the reference. What page/column? ahh found it! section describing the PB100. well the Pe-2 could have had it too.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:05:48 PM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 04:27:11 PM »
well the Pe-2 could have had it too.

Yeh, I think so too although I couldn't find a direct reference. That particular sight was apparently also used in the TB-3:
http://gunsight.jp/b/english/data/sight-e-s.htm (no photo unfortunately).
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 01:44:33 AM »
Grabbed the Mig-3 pdf today.

Thanks Aper, at 110 pages, that looks very complete.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2009, 02:01:41 AM »

Yak1/Yak7 variants(Yak 1 b would be sufficient IMO)
La5/La5F/Lagg3  (one of them at least)

Yak-1B (with M-105PF) does not cover the 1941 gap and is similar by performance to Yak-7B which is similar to Yak-9 which is similar to Yak-9T already modelled in AH except 37mm cannon. So it would be better to save time and money and just convert Yak-9T into "hybrid" version with different load outs. (20mm - Yak-9, additional fuel tanks - Yak-9D, 37mm - Yak-9T, etc)

To cover 1941 ("Barbarossa") gap the earliest version of Yak-1 must be modelled as well as MiG-3.

As for LaGG-3 it would be better to model "hybrid" version of LaGG-3 (M-105) which will represent all weapons modifications of late 1941 and early-mid 1942 (12,7mm , 20mm, 23mm and 37 mm). It will cover late 1941-early 1942 gap.

To cover mid-late 1942 gap La-5 (earliest version) must be modelled. It would be good to have Yak-7B as well but it can be substituted with Yak-9 20mm.

To sum up the results: Yak-1 (earliest), MiG-3, LaGG-3 (hybrid), La-5 earliest + Yak-9T converted into hybrid (Yak-9 with different load outs)

Pe2 (almost essential)

Yes, Pe-2 is a must. It's not quite clear which version though. Probably hybrid of 1941-42 to make it usefull for as many as possible special events.

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 02:17:57 AM »
Grabbed the Mig-3 pdf today.

Thanks Aper, at 110 pages, that looks very complete.

You are welcome :) There is a pretty good book about LaGG-3 as well:
http://www.wuala.com/-aper-/AH/LaGG-3%20Fighter.pdf