Author Topic: It ain't the graphics that are bad, its the way the game is made  (Read 11929 times)

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Re: It ain't the graphics that are bad, its the way the game is made
« Reply #270 on: August 30, 2009, 12:22:08 PM »

I would like to put my two cents in as being both a grumpy old burnout longtime player who kinda moved on but resurfaces now and again.. :)

This game is special in the fact that its creators stay true to the realities of the gaming subscription cycle and also acquiesce to reasonable requests from their minority grumpy old player constituency.

If you make the effort they will meet you halfway. You must be specific in your requests for changes or things you would view as improvements.

during my long stint as a hardcore AH player I was always in the art departments hair for precision accuracy of 3d models and texturemaps. I am sure natedog and superfly would have loved to strangle me many times as i picked apart their creations with a magnifying glass.

In fact I was occasionally banned from the BBS for my nit picking ranting and raving :D

long story short... I had the privledge of making a few terrains for AH, got to help on the B17G 3d model by providing 2d profile drawings I customized and calibrated for higher accuracy and fidelity for natedog's excellent 3d model. Got to make the default skin for it too. Turns out all the publicly available b17 profile drawings had glaring innacuracies LOL. AH2 currently has the only accurately modeled b17G because all other games use the innacurate plans :)  Even got to make the default texture maps for a few other of AH2's aircraft (B25,P39) and some alternate skins for others.

And my wife is quite tired of hearing me proudly remind her every time the AH2 commercial is on and I point out every plane in it that I skinned and the B17G at the end. :)

but enough of me bragging. My point is if you make the effort so will they if your interests have merit.

But regardless the law of diminishing returns will always take effect when you find new hobbies which entertain you for a time... and then you rediscover your old past time when the itch to dogfight hits you.

and when you take a peak back into that crazy little imaginary world you left behind you see it has improved just fine in your absence without your meddling. :)

This sounds like a post many should read.   Well put, Scott.  :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Timofei

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #271 on: August 30, 2009, 12:28:42 PM »
after 20 fights one person one 19 times the other 1.

So we have a k/d of 19 and 1/19. Average would be 20/20 I.E. one.

k=d, but the average of the two is (19+1/19)/2=9.53.
Or is my commie math all wrong ?
Proverbs 15:17 "Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred herewith."

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #272 on: August 30, 2009, 02:19:45 PM »
x/1 grows faster than 1/x shrinks...
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #273 on: August 30, 2009, 02:36:19 PM »
To get average k/d:

Total kills / # of players
Over
total deaths / # of players

So...

20/2=10
20/2=10
Average k/d is therefore 1/1.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #274 on: August 30, 2009, 02:49:12 PM »
Is that what it's calculated as, in each player's score?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #275 on: August 30, 2009, 03:00:46 PM »
Don't forget that there isn't necessarily a kill for every death, so overall k/d will always be less than 1.  I for one auger by attempting silly things plenty of times. :D
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #276 on: August 30, 2009, 03:11:14 PM »
Don't forget that there isn't necessarily a kill for every death, so overall k/d will always be less than 1.  I for one auger by attempting silly things plenty of times. :D

Naturally, I was just applying the formula to the 19/1 1/19 example.  IIRC, average k/d for fighters most tours is about .98.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #277 on: August 30, 2009, 03:28:20 PM »
Is k/d divided this way in individual player scores?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #278 on: August 30, 2009, 03:29:55 PM »
Is that what it's calculated as, in each player's score?

I'm pretty sure individual k/d in scores is k/(d+1) to prevent dividing by zero.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #279 on: August 30, 2009, 03:38:50 PM »
Why would you use a /total.players.# KDaverage instead of averaging each player's raw KD?  What good is an overall KD that always floats around 1 and measures how many or few own-pilot deaths (auger, etc) there are, instead of actual k/d performance?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #280 on: August 30, 2009, 04:11:12 PM »
Why would you use a /total.players.# KDaverage instead of averaging each player's raw KD?  What good is an overall KD that always floats around 1 and measures how many or few own-pilot deaths (auger, etc) there are, instead of actual k/d performance?

I'm not trying to prove anything.  That average K/D hovers around 1 is a definition, not something we discover.

The only reason I even bothered to state the definition is because of this confused post:
k=d, but the average of the two is (19+1/19)/2=9.53.
Or is my commie math all wrong ?

What good is it?  Well, that depends on what you want to do.  The unequal distribution of K/D ratios across the player base is far more interesting.

------------

Edit: we have to be careful averaging "raw" K/D.  For example, A has 20 kills and 10 deaths.  His raw K/D is 2.  B has 10 kills and 20 deaths.  His raw K/D is .5.  Now, 2 + .5 = 2.5.  Divide by the number of pilots, A+B, 2.5/2 and you get 1.25, which is wrong.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 04:20:56 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #281 on: August 30, 2009, 04:18:06 PM »
 Well, that depends on what you want to do.  The unequal distribution of K/D ratios across the player base is far more interesting.

Yeah, the sort of figures Lusche put out are pretty much what I was getting at.

Honestly, I see more people turning in for HO passes, or augering on dive bombing runs, or surviving a dive bombing run, THEN needlessly turning around and flying back through the meat grinder attempting to vulch/de-ack than I do needlessly running. That is also what I was getting at.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 04:44:08 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #282 on: August 30, 2009, 05:31:13 PM »
The unequal distribution of K/D ratios across the player base is far more interesting.
Apples and oranges.. Of the two KD averages, the raw average is more informative.

[...]and you get 1.25, which is wrong.
It's not wrong if you're looking for the average score k/d.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #283 on: August 30, 2009, 05:48:05 PM »
will you guys stop with all the math givin me a damn headache :furious

oh ya btw HTC has no control over the 10 cons trying to kill ya, ya big dummy... :rolleyes:

whelly ith not a tumar...

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #284 on: August 30, 2009, 05:51:17 PM »
Moot, are you feeling a little contentious today? ;)

Anyway, you can average those numbers that way if you like, but we just have to use different terminology so that we don't conflate average K/D with an averaging of the K/D score.

Edit: If you go back and read hitech's original post that was quoted above, it's pretty obvious that we arguing over nothing.  Here's the full quote:

Not true at all, the only thing that changes average K/D is if more people crash. Take as simple case of 2 people fighting.

after 20 fights one person one 19 times the other 1.

So we have a k/d of 19 and 1/19. Average would be 20/20 I.E. one.

Average K/D of all players can not be used as a method of measuring average  skill of the arena.
One of the fundamentals of this game is for every kill, some one died.

HiTEch

-------------

Edit again:

Apples and oranges.. Of the two KD averages, the raw average is more informative.

I was sharing your sentiment.  Sometimes you seem to interpret English the opposite of how I do. ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 05:59:21 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!