Author Topic: My collected list of issues with v2.14 Patch 8  (Read 392 times)

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
My collected list of issues with v2.14 Patch 8
« on: August 27, 2009, 12:13:35 AM »
I just wanted to provide some feedback on various issues I've experienced and how Patch 8 is currently performing. I'm not necessarily reporting these issues as bugs per se, but I did want to make you (HTC) aware of them.

• Audio Issue- Since the release of 2v2.14 I have been working on several custom sound issues. Having read the release notes I have tried various acceleration levels within the dxdiag and have not found a satisfactory solution. I have also ensured that the wav files are very low sampling rates(11k) 8-bit sound format.  I have even removed all custom sounds and had various audio anomalies with the default sounds. This is not a video stutter, but an audio stutter or a mangling of the audio stream (not sure of the proper technical term). It seems to me that something has significantly changed that has effected how sounds are played. (Yes all audio drivers are up to date, and tested within dxdiag to function properly)
  • Detail Range- It was a happy coincidence that the detail range bug was discovered during patch 6 and I was happy to see it somewhat implemented with increased range in patch 7. But it sure looked better seeing detail out to 6 miles vs 4 miles with no performance impact (on my system at least). I also understand why it has to be at 4 miles for now.
  • Frame Rate Hit- I have experienced a 5-10 fps loss (especially low over water) with Patch 8 versus Patch 7. I have had the best performance with the most detail with Patch 6, so far.
  • Frame Rate Hit Part 2- I have been running with detailed terrain on and max detail since Patch 2 or 3. I have to admit I didn't properly verify the 10% improvement that was mentioned in the Patch 7 release notes, but the frame rate loss I explained above, is a loss of 5-10 fps over Patch 6 when I had 6 miles of ground detail.
  • Stuttering- With Patch 8 I have begun to experience stuttering again. It appears that even a small amount of disk fragmentation has an impact on this. After running a defrag this evening the stuttering was reduced, but not to the level of Patch 6 or 7.
  • Video Memory- Patch 8 no longer displays my video memory. It does display how much video memory is being used.

I appreciate all the help and support I've received from HTC so far, and I expect you'll get all the issues resolved eventually. It was quite an undertaking making as many changes to the core of the game as you did and I think it will payoff in the future.

Thanks,
Baumer
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
Re: My collected list of issues with v2.14 Patch 8
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 11:21:17 AM »
  • Audio Issue- Since the release of 2v2.14 I have been working on several custom sound issues. Having read the release notes I have tried various acceleration levels within the dxdiag and have not found a satisfactory solution. I have also ensured that the wav files are very low sampling rates(11k) 8-bit sound format.  I have even removed all custom sounds and had various audio anomalies with the default sounds. This is not a video stutter, but an audio stutter or a mangling of the audio stream (not sure of the proper technical term). It seems to me that something has significantly changed that has effected how sounds are played. (Yes all audio drivers are up to date, and tested within dxdiag to function properly)

Sound files should be 16bit 22khz.  I have found some 8bit sounds don't play right and could cause problems.  You can have 11khz though but 22khz is the standard.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 12:08:39 PM »
  • Frame Rate Hit- I have experienced a 5-10 fps loss (especially low over water) with Patch 8 versus Patch 7. I have had the best performance with the most detail with Patch 6, so far.
  • Frame Rate Hit Part 2- I have been running with detailed terrain on and max detail since Patch 2 or 3. I have to admit I didn't properly verify the 10% improvement that was mentioned in the Patch 7 release notes, but the frame rate loss I explained above, is a loss of 5-10 fps over Patch 6 when I had 6 miles of ground detail.

Having the same problem
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 12:27:25 PM »
AKDogg, I spoke with Sudz at HTC and he told me they are supposed to be 8-bit sounds only, and the lower the sampling rate the better.

What has me perplexed is that I have custom sounds that I've used for the past two years without issue, but with the changes in v2.14 they have started to create problems. From my discussion with HTC it seems that the previous versions would handle higher quality sound files than what it was designed for, but now that is not the case (for my system at least).

Looking at all my custom sound files I noticed that the sampling rates and bit size's are all over the place so I have removed them completely and started using audacity to verify the wav file formats to comply with the requirements I mentioned above. I am just going to go slowly and add a few customs sounds at a time to see if that can help narrow down any issues.
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 12:49:37 PM »
AKDogg, I spoke with Sudz at HTC and he told me they are supposed to be 8-bit sounds only, and the lower the sampling rate the better.

What has me perplexed is that I have custom sounds that I've used for the past two years without issue, but with the changes in v2.14 they have started to create problems. From my discussion with HTC it seems that the previous versions would handle higher quality sound files than what it was designed for, but now that is not the case (for my system at least).

Looking at all my custom sound files I noticed that the sampling rates and bit size's are all over the place so I have removed them completely and started using audacity to verify the wav file formats to comply with the requirements I mentioned above. I am just going to go slowly and add a few customs sounds at a time to see if that can help narrow down any issues.

I have noticed other soundpacks having that issue with sampling rate is all over the place.  My soundpack I have went trhough every sound in it to make sure they are the same sample rate and bit.  Every sound in my pack is 22khz and 16bit.  Long time ago there was a sound for flpas in 1 of the planes that for some reason was 8 bit and it would not play.  When I changed it to 16bit, it played fine.  Why it happen that way, I have no Idea.

BTW, my sound pack is in my sig if u wanted to try it out.  I don't have the brewster or the i-16 in it yet but I am working on it.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 01:04:48 PM »
Thanks AKDogg, I've been using part of your sounds for a while now, and they are very nice.   :)

I've been working on some of my own sounds, specifically the aircraft guns to be sure they accurately represent the rate of fire correctly. It's amazing to me what a difference it makes to have the correct tempo in certain planes, like the cannons in the Ki-61. It really helps me remember to conserve ammo!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 01:24:34 PM »
Thanks AKDogg, I've been using part of your sounds for a while now, and they are very nice.   :)

I've been working on some of my own sounds, specifically the aircraft guns to be sure they accurately represent the rate of fire correctly. It's amazing to me what a difference it makes to have the correct tempo in certain planes, like the cannons in the Ki-61. It really helps me remember to conserve ammo!

Lol, that is what i am currently doing to along with getting the correct sound for each type of gun.  At leawst trying to anyways. :lol :aok
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW