Author Topic: Little help with the P-39D  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: Little help with the P-39D
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 10:28:24 AM »
The P-39Q is much better in LWA, simple because of its engine, but the P-39D is a fun ride too. When I roll a Q I usually do not have the wing guns, preferring the savings in weight and drag. In clean condition, it will give supposedly "better" fighters fits in a close in fight. The downside is the 37mm cannon, you need to be sure of your target, but you get used to that, and if you score a hit, Kablamo.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 03:18:04 PM »
Soulyss,
My observations about the P-39:
The plane has very good instantanious turnrate and fair sustained turn rate performance. It is slow in level flight and slow to accelerate, but It will go 550mph in a dive without any compression problems. In short I think it handles better than folks give it credit for. 
Looping is a real weekness do to low power to weight and fairly e bleed in tight turns (at the bottom). It has a very effective rudder but it too adds to the e-bleed in full rudder manuevers. I find that Yo-Yos work particularly well for keeping the e-up in a P-39 and if I can turn the tables on anyone this is usually how. The plane barrel rolls nicely which is the only defense against enemies on your six because the P-39 can't out run anything. It handles well at very low speed, meaning if you fly it smooth it won't depart, and can still turn and roll fairly well at 120 mph. When chasing enemies, be careful about chopping throttle too agressiely because it accelerates slow and they can walk out of gun range on you if your not careful.

The real problem with this plane is the guns. I can often manuever for a gun solution in every fight, but can't score the hit due to very low fire rate for 2 50 cals firing through the propeller (which drops their fire rate relative to wing mounted) and there are only two which isn't much firepower. The 37mm is the real threat to the bandits, but it has a very low firing rate, and not much ammo (30 rounds). I've chased spits and 51s and typhs around for 90 sec in the saddle and can't get enough hits to drop them. The 37 can kill with a single hit, but it feels like skeet shooting with a hand gun. holding the trigger down means your out of ammo in less than 10 seconds so lining up in front of a bandit and hoping he will run through the stream will get you 1 kill at best. Also the fire rate is so slow that usually the first shell passes in front and the next one passes behind him. So snap shots are for marksmen. But that's kind of what make it fun too.

If you can learn to shoot the 37mm and get hits on high deflection shots at 400-600 yrds. You can rack up a lot of kills in this plane. I've never been that good a shot.

Aslo (and I'm almost affraid to say it here. THis plane Ho's well. Not as good as an A8, but one shot from the 37mm (with it's cool new smoke trail) at a bandit at 1500 or 1000ydrs and he'll break early. this is a big advantage for a good pilot like yourself, on the merge. If you hit him he's toast.

One correction here is the Greziz is way better in the P-39 an I am. (sorry I've never flown with Batfink but I'm sure from his performance in the duelling bracket, he's way better than me as well. But thanks for the shout out Bosco  :salute

vinkman
Who is John Galt?

Offline Greziz

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 08:13:02 PM »
When I first started playing this game the only fellow I ever saw flying a p39 was apercot its very nice to see a bunch more people taking interest in this bird. Maybe if we build a good following and perhaps a dare I say it AIRACOBRA squad maybe one day we will see the magnifecent king cobra which is closer in design to the prototype 39 than the 39 is. Shame on the people in charge neutering a early war bird outta about 50 mph and high alt performance all under a misguided and false idea of stream lining. any who I for one dream of the day I get to fly an attack mission with 20 some odd heavy 39's in an attempt at flattening and capping a base. The 39's strengths really shine when it works as a group as it isn't terrible in any regard simply isn't good enough to solo lw stuff but its abilities really allow it to fly well as a wing man and to bait and drag and over all just take a punishment while lining your buddies up for kills so long as your a good bullet dodger.

Offline angels10

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 01:52:54 PM »
 Find Demonfox in orange usually he is king of p39

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 11:39:58 PM »
So I've got a bit of a thing for the P-39D it turns out, she isn't fast (unless you put the nose straight down), she can't climb, can't accelerate, she seems to just hemorrhage energy during any sort of maneuver,  and I love her. :)

Had some success in LW this last tour flying it, but 1v1's were really rough.  It seemed that as soon as you merge you're on the clock you have to get a shot because the longer the fight lasts pretty soon the 39 is out of options.  So while it's help with the 39D that I'm looking for, my guess is that I need to improve my energy management and how I approach the fight. 

Anyone going to be a round this week that would like to go a few rounds so I can hopefully learn a couple things?

ya know what? i should'vd mentioned htis before.

next time we're both on, if ya want, we can go to ta or da, and i'll up a 38, and come play target for ya,
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)