Author Topic: Little help with the P-39D  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Little help with the P-39D
« on: September 01, 2009, 03:10:16 PM »
So I've got a bit of a thing for the P-39D it turns out, she isn't fast (unless you put the nose straight down), she can't climb, can't accelerate, she seems to just hemorrhage energy during any sort of maneuver,  and I love her. :)

Had some success in LW this last tour flying it, but 1v1's were really rough.  It seemed that as soon as you merge you're on the clock you have to get a shot because the longer the fight lasts pretty soon the 39 is out of options.  So while it's help with the 39D that I'm looking for, my guess is that I need to improve my energy management and how I approach the fight. 

Anyone going to be a round this week that would like to go a few rounds so I can hopefully learn a couple things?
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
Re: Little help with the P-39D
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 04:45:38 PM »
Soulyss i think you have it down pat. I sometime fly this bird but i have the same problem. My advice would be to stay on the edge of the horde and wait for someone to come out and 1v1 you.

Good Luck <S>
Strokes

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 06:42:06 PM »

Was assigned the D model for an FSO earlier in the year, the views are a killer. I don't see how anyone has success in that plane but they do. I hate finding a 39 behind me.
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 06:52:51 PM »
The D is quite a fun plane if you get the 20mm on it,you can surprise people every time

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 06:55:37 PM »
The views are a bit of a challenge, you have to keep looking around even more than in other planes because of the blind spots.  Several of the kills I got last tour were right after the version release, I would just furball down on the water and got several kills from people I never saw misjudging their alt and hitting the water nearby. :)

One of the reasons I like flying it is that it is a bit of a challenge in LW, that's why I'm looking to improve my dueling (which I don't consider myself to be very good at all).
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 07:00:15 PM »
If you need help, Batfink and vinkman are the best in that plane.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 08:20:08 PM »
Soulyss,

If you want some one on one time You know where to find me in the TA, as long as I'm not training somebody in the hog give me a yell.

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 07:25:09 PM »
If you're having troubles with views, I suggest going to the TA and playing with them for some time. I have it set to where I may have a blindspot dead six (two key), my rear view for the three key has it covered, so its just a matter of scanning my six. Easy and effective!
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Greziz

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 06:48:58 AM »
I love flying the 39D and Q models both are very different and similar at the same time. I find deception to be the planes biggest strength many people are very much unaware of what this plane is capable of. So if your a good shot you can land kills with the 37mm reliably at 800ish give or take if they think they can simply beeline away. I have gotten very good at hitting bombers 1k plus with the 37mm ^.^ rarely am I high enough to catch the bomber but only from the six so I dont get to try it often I still prefer to dive the bombers traditionally. I have many a film of p39 fights some sorties of me landing 5-6 legitimate kills before having to rtb for ammo. I fly the Q mostly so rationing 30 cannons and 400 mg's is a hassel I normally only land 2-3 kills as some of the people in this game know how to dodge like a fly on the wall.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 09:03:56 AM »
I love flying the 39D and Q models both are very different and similar at the same time. I find deception to be the planes biggest strength many people are very much unaware of what this plane is capable of. So if your a good shot you can land kills with the 37mm reliably at 800ish give or take if they think they can simply beeline away. I have gotten very good at hitting bombers 1k plus with the 37mm ^.^ rarely am I high enough to catch the bomber but only from the six so I dont get to try it often I still prefer to dive the bombers traditionally. I have many a film of p39 fights some sorties of me landing 5-6 legitimate kills before having to rtb for ammo. I fly the Q mostly so rationing 30 cannons and 400 mg's is a hassel I normally only land 2-3 kills as some of the people in this game know how to dodge like a fly on the wall.

Post a film or two, I know I learn a lot from films. It may help many here.

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 11:08:41 PM »
Are you sure you need help. I was in a spit nine you out flew me. If it wasnt for the spit I would a been toast. I can,t imagine flying the 39 against you. :aok

Fun fights the other night <S>

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 10:14:42 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, I figure if I lost then I still have something to learn. :)

Win some lose others, were fun fights for sure <S>.

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 10:44:45 AM »
To prepare for FSO we did a bunch of 2vs2 duels with the 39D and 109E.  I was impressed with the 39D and believe it's a better fighter than the 109E (if you take the HS 20mm).  The 109E is better in the vertical, but good luck gaining enough separation to use that advantage.  Other than that, the 39D is faster, rolls better, and holds energy well enough for it to take a couple of full circles before the 109E's turn rate advantage shows up.  The big weakness of the 39D, of course, is acceleration and sustained climb.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 10:57:33 AM »
It probably is a little different fighting against other early war aircraft, against MW and LW birds the ability of the more advanced planes to regenerate energy seems to win out time and time again.  As I mentioned I seem to be on a very short clock to get the kill. 

In the fight Sonicblu mentioned I actually managed to rope him going up (I was amazed it actually worked I did it almost as a reflex from my 38 flying) as he stalled out I flopped the nose over and went after him.  If memory serves (accidentally deleted the film) I was no more than 1k above him when we stalled, I want to say closer to 800 yards.  But as we reversed and the fight went straight down he was able to recover and pull up into a climb that I just couldn't match as I closed I tried to pull the nose up into him but I just didn't have sufficient airspeed to make the corner and ended up below him the fight lasted a couple turns after that and I ended up in a tree full of holes.  One of those fights that went from "oh god" to "ah ha! I have you now!" to "oh god" again. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Greziz

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 12:57:50 PM »
Well you all asked for some films to learn how to fly the 39D I am sorry to say I lost many a film of my 39D when we moved over from patch I had to reformat computer not aces high related steam related for my counterstriking any who I do however have plenty of films of the Q model which is very very similar. I have this to say about the Q it is more powerful and you have the option of not taking wing guns which allows you a much better climb and slightly better turn rate however the 39Q is much more prone to snap rolls and hard stalls than the D. The D is a much more mild mannered plane with a slower climb and acceleration however it makes up for this over the Q in raw firepower having 4 30's and 2 nose 50's and the nose cannon 20mm or 37mm This being said I will now say some things about the 39 in reference to the Main arena. Don't fly alone!.... Why you ask well the 39D is an early war bird so it is slower and weaker than all these super birds trust me seeing a 39 is like christmas to the people in the main arena! What you will want to do is work with your allies and horde your alt cause climbing back up in a large dogfight in the 39 is just asking to get dogpiled so you will want to be very aware of what can catch you and tear you up first. My suggestion is very simply stay high and harrass as many of your opponents lower without following them if they insist on staying up with you slay them. Just know if you follow a 51 or typh etc to ground lvl when he yanks up and climbs again your dead what you want to do is stalk them about 3-5 k above them and wait for them to turn or climb then assault them manage your E and speed and make your dives count after 1-3 depending on how well you did them you will be at the disadvantage. Now the 39 is no beastie of the turn or climb or roll so your gunna have to work with what it does well. It stalls loses energy fast when you cut throttle and cross controll and it dives good so what I like to do when I have a bandit I cant lose I like to dive then lvl out cut throttle and begin either normal or rolling scissors losing airspeed until I am lvl with them then I slam throttle and 6 them. Now you might think forcing overshoots in this manner is suicide well 1v1 not so much but if you have multi opponents the 2nd guy will get you before or after you get his buddy this is why you fly with help to clear your six as you extend infact one of the films I will post has a great 2v2 with vadjan who helps display this team work well. Dont be afraid to be bait cause quite frankly the 39 is delicious looking and many a foe will get target fixated on you knowing full well you cant run or climb or out turn him.

[I dont know how I ordered these but they are all films I believe help emphasize a manner of flying the 39 that will help you all net some kills in this early/midwar bird!] You all asked for the films so please don't look at these and trash my style take what you will learning this bird and exclude what doesn't fit your flight style.

http://www.mediafire.com/?imi5zmmmljz
http://www.mediafire.com/?gzmzyjnzzkz
http://www.mediafire.com/?ytwmmwtjzjb
http://www.mediafire.com/?khwdzi1zoko
http://www.mediafire.com/?xjjmwjk4xnf
http://www.mediafire.com/?nhtzmmvq4dn