Author Topic: Patch 8 stutter questionnaire  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Patch 8 stutter questionnaire
« on: September 03, 2009, 10:40:08 AM »
We're trying to collect and centralize some specific information from people who have been getting stutters in patch 8.  Please reply to the following questionnaire if you are having this problem.

1-  Please describe the stutter that you are seeing as precisely as you can.  How frequent is it?  Does it occur at a steady cadence or just when you see new objects or when you cross terrain cell boundaries?  Does everything including other planes pause for a split second or is it just the terrain jumping.  Any additional details that describe what you are seeing is helpful to us.

2-  In what patch did you start seeing this problem?

3-  Please list the following:  Windows version, CPU, graphics card, amout of RAM.  Are you running in compatibility mode?

4-  What are your video settings and graphics details set to in the game?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: Patch 8 stutter questionnaire
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 11:25:04 AM »
1. Frame rate drops dramatically when viewing airfields on the NDIsles map, and only the NDIsles map. I go from my max frames of 60 to 30 and sometimes it drops into the single digits. No stutters just a massive FPS hit.

2. I don't recall NDIsles being released prior to patch 8 so I have no comparison.

3. Vista, I7 920, 260GTX, 6 gig ram. No on compatibility mode.

4. Resolution 1920x1200, all graphics on. Shadows only at 512 textures, this machine has no problem running the game except for the above issue.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Guara

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 09:30:33 PM »
Hi
problems with frame rates:
for me started with the new up grade befor it i was at 109 plus frame rate but with patch 6 was better i got back to 70 frames and no problems now since the new patch 8 I'm all over from 2 frames to 50 frames when get in clouds or fog goes down to nothing and air or ground docent matter.  
CPU dual quad core Amd's phenom 9550
6 gig of ram
256 vid ram Ati Radeon Hd 3550  
hi res
setttings for the game are
1440X900 vid display
no hi def settings and set to 512 res
Vista 32
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 09:32:57 PM by Guara »

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 01:54:13 AM »
We're trying to collect and centralize some specific information from people who have been getting stutters in patch 8.  Please reply to the following questionnaire if you are having this problem.

1-  Please describe the stutter that you are seeing as precisely as you can.  How frequent is it?  Does it occur at a steady cadence or just when you see new objects or when you cross terrain cell boundaries?  Does everything including other planes pause for a split second or is it just the terrain jumping.  Any additional details that describe what you are seeing is helpful to us.

How I perceive my current issues with stuttering I see them falling into four types. To me the "stutter" is always the same appearance, everything on the screen pauses for a brief amount of time (no more than a 1/4th of a second). There is never a drop in frame rate nor do I see a cnt number change above 0.  The first category of stutter would be the transition around land and water, this is accompanied by a decrease in frame rate as well once over or looking at water. This was an issue with the initial release but has returned with patch 7 and 8. The second category of stutter is the up/down issue I described on the phone, it still occurs with patch 8 (but not every time) it is a very consistent tempo. The third category of stutter is with cretin sounds (default and custom) it generally happens when multiple sounds are being played at the same time, this doesn't occur as often with the default only but it does still happen. The last group of stutters are related to quickly changing my views in a dogfight with the hat switch and view up / down modifier

Category 1 was with the initial release until patch 4 or 5, fixed in patch 6, only to return with Patch 8
Category 2 has been since Patch 4 or 5 (may have been earlier but not 100% sure)
Category 3 has been since the inital release
Category 4 was with the initial release resolved in patch 3 or 4 the returned with patch 8

3-  Please list the following:  Windows version, CPU, graphics card, amout of RAM.  Are you running in compatibility mode?

Windows XP Professional with SP3, Intel Core 2 E6400, with 2 GiG System RAM, Nvidia 9500GT with 1024 Meg RAM, not running in compatibility mode

Nvidia settings are set to default "application controlled"
In AH video settings I have AA 3 steps up, Screen Res at 1680 by 1024, hi res texture pack installed
In game graphics, detail slider to max detail
Detail range slider to 4 miles
Display horizon is checked
Under the advanced tab I have only detailed water, detailed terrain, and bump map terrain checked

I understand I may be pushing my system beyond it's capability but I was getting a very playable, consistent frame rate, with minimal stuttering with patch 6 with the above settings.
Thanks for all the hard work,

Baumer
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 08:48:58 AM »

I haven't noticed if it's tied to crossing cell boundaries or not.  I don't think so because it's pretty consistant.  The stuttering I see happens mostly when I roll the airplane or look around to the sides or back.  Everything pauses and jitters.  What it looks like almost is like the framerate is low, but I've looked and the framerate doesn't drop at all.  When I close the clipboard it stutters even as it goes away.

Started seeing it in patch 7, it's a bit lessened in patch 8 but still present and noticeable.

Windows xp32 sp3, amd dual core 5200, nvidia 8600gt with 1 gig of ram.  2 gigs of system ram.  I am not running in compatability mode.  I haven't been running the amd optimizer since patch 7.

Res same as my windows res 1680x1050 widescreen aspect.  One notch of AA.  Object detail set to max terrain detail distance set to about a mile.  Detaled terrain checked but not detailed wate or local water reflections, no bump mapping, no self shadowing. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 10:24:42 AM »
1-  Please describe the stutter that you are seeing as precisely as you can.  How frequent is it?  Does it occur at a steady cadence or just when you see new objects or when you cross terrain cell boundaries?  Does everything including other planes pause for a split second or is it just the terrain jumping.  Any additional details that describe what you are seeing is helpful to us.

Steady short pause in the rendering of objects as you move across the map. Affects all objects regardless of altitude. Planes at distance greater than 1k have longer pause similar to warping effect

2-  In what patch did you start seeing this problem?

Patch 5 then again in patches 7 and 8 (patch 6 had no issues)

3-  Please list the following:  Windows version, CPU, graphics card, amout of RAM.  Are you running in compatibility mode?

Windows XP Professional SP3, Intel Core2 2.4Ghz Conroe, XFX GeForce9500GT (512MB DDR3), 4GB DDR2 system RAM, not in compatibility mode

4-  What are your video settings and graphics details set to in the game?

In game graphics settings: 1280x920, 512 textures, Detailed terrain=on, Bumb map terrain=on, all shadows=off, water detail =off, display horizon=on, object detail=3/4 to faster, ground detail range=2 miles, (tried mutiple changes in settings to no avail)
*note* complete uninstall of game, hires pack, custom sounds, then reinstall of base game with skins has lessened the effect

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 10:29:45 AM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 09:48:10 AM »
1-  Please describe the stutter that you are seeing as precisely as you can.  How frequent is it?  Does it occur at a steady cadence or just when you see new objects or when you cross terrain cell boundaries?  Does everything including other planes pause for a split second or is it just the terrain jumping.  Any additional details that describe what you are seeing is helpful to us.

It happens for me anytime I look left or right and when near clouds.

Patch 8 up until 8 I had no problems.

3-  Please list the following:  Windows version, CPU, graphics card, amout of RAM.  Are you running in compatibility mode?

Windows Vista™ Home Premium 6.0, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU  E6550  @ 2.33GHz NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 2044MB RAM not in compatability mode.

1680 X 1050 Detailed Water Terrain and Bump Map Terrain on. 1024 Texures.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 10:16:31 AM »
1. stutters happen over land if all detail is turned on. if over water with no land in sight, FR is maxed. as more land comes into picture FR gets lower and stuttering increases.

2. patch 8

3. vista ultimate 64bit, intel E8500@ 3.16ghz, nvidia 280 GTX, not in compatibility mode.

4. 1920x1200 currently running with water detail on and terrain detail off, bump map is on.

NOT
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 10:24:33 AM by NOT »

AKNOT

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 11:07:38 PM »

1 - The game is somewhat choppy when looking around (TrackIR) and it doesn't flow smoothly as the view changes. It's pretty consistent regardless of what I'm flying over and appears to affect everything. Frame rates DO NOT change and it doesn't interfere with my ability to fly but it is a bit distracting.

2- Patch 7

3- Windows 7 Ultimate, AMD Phenom X2 64-bit 3.0GHz, Currently 4GB Corsair Dominator 1066MHz RAM but also occurred when I had 8GB.

4. 1920x1200, running with details maxed, initially 4 mile ground range but still occurs after cutting it to about half. However as I said, my FR's don't change.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline BippeeII

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 02:22:02 AM »
Have AMD Athlon dual core 4450e,
3 GB Ram, 1 GB dedicated to running with 128 mb very low end on board nVidia Geforce 6150 graphics card,
Vista Home Premium, got it down to 44 running processes,

System ran great after Patch 6, no longer in compatibility mode - Thank you!!!  Frame rates up to 60.  Wow.  A different game at that rate.

After Patch 8 started seeing glitches. 

Checked and the glitches seem to correlate to a problem with net status.  My connection had beatiful zero variance through Patch 7 but lately has been wobbly at best.

Cannot relate glitches to particular events.  Visable in combat, while flying low over water, while just taking off if field has a lot going on, e. g., burning buildings.  Worst is smoke - big frame rate drop

Offline Forker

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 01:38:24 PM »

Here is a sample of what is happening, it is only 24 seconds long, while panning a gv. As i increase the speed of the pan the problem becomes more pronounced.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zzqtgjj2uon/film75.ahf

It started "Back" in version 8, it had quit in previous version.

3-  Please list the following:  Windows version, CPU, graphics card, amount of RAM.  Are you running in compatibility mode?

Being quite the idiot when it comes to computer technicalities this is the best I can do.

Lord, help me to be the kind of man my dog thinks I am.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 11:48:12 AM »

Stutter occurs right from start-up (game load) and occurs every 2 seconds and last around half-1/4 second.  It is consistant when I enter an arena, jumping into an aircraft, and flying over terrain.  FPS is around 10-15.  If I Alt-tab out and then back in game, stuttering disappears and FPS is 59.

Patch 0

XP SP3 32 Bit
AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core X2 4200+
XFX nVidia 9600Gt 512Mb
4Gb Ram (3 recoginzed for XP, but I'm going Windows 7 asap)
Comp mode: no

1024 textures
1620x1024 resolution
all other settings game defaults on initial install
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 06:59:20 PM »
1. The stuttering or more like twitching occurs randomly from just couple of times a minute to more than dozen times. It seems to happen totally randomly at times and sometimes new bits of terrain coming into view trigger it. I'll try to pay more attention to the possible causes, but so far it just seems too random to say anything definitive.

2-  Patch 7.

3-  XP SP3, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, Ati Radeon HD3650, 1024mb.

4-  1920x1200 32bit no AA or AF, 1024 textures, autoset FoV, Only Detailed terrain and Bumpmap terrain ON from the Advanced-menu. Changing graphic settings doesn't seem to have any effect.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 01:28:49 PM »
1.  I think it's crossing a terrain boundary.  Example: if I go F5, F8 in tower view at default distance and use the arrow keys to rotate around the base I don't get stutters.  If I use the [] keys to move out to max distance I get something like 4 minor stutters per 360 deg.  Terrain stutters.  I haven't noticed if planes stutter.

2. Present in current patch.  I don't recall if there was a patch that didn't have it.

3. XP SP3, E8400, HD4850 512M, 4GB RAM, not compatibility mode

4. 1280x1024 (same as desktop), 4xAA 8xAF transparency AA on, 1024 textures, Detailed Terrain, Bumpmap on, Detailed Water w reflections, max range, max detail.  Changing graphics settings doesn't have much effect (although Detailed Water does cut fps to less than 1/2, even on terrains with no water).

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 01:55:05 PM »

1.  Hard to say there are some pauses on loading new objects.  Over time it does appear to lessen.  Since patch 8 being in and around airfields seems to cause it most.

2.  Since patch 7-8.  Patch 6 seemed to be the best one for me thus far.

3.  Win XP, E6600,  640MB 8800 gts,  4 GIG Ram. No compatibility mode

4.  Max AA slider, 1680 x 1050,  hi res pack, detail visual range sliders were both on max until this problem occured tweaked them a little.  Turned off bump map terrain and shadows, everything else is on.
The Few ***
F.P.H