Author Topic: College Football  (Read 6312 times)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: College Football
« Reply #210 on: December 06, 2009, 02:14:22 PM »
Colt snubbed?  3 interceptions in the Big12 championship game against a 3 loss Nebraska.  Running out the clock on the last play.(don't tell me he was aware of the time and perfectly threw it to allow 1 sec left after a review.)

Vince may have been snubbed.  Colt simply lost it.

No doubt he had a bad game, I didn't realize the trophy was awarded for one game. I'm not telling you anything about the clock and his last throw. I guess you know for a fact he didn't know about the time on the clock.Since you seem to dislike anything Big 12 I'll rely on your expert opinion.  :rolleyes: Nebraska may have had three losses but I'd take their defense over anybody in the country, that's an outstanding group of young men they have.

No Fuds that wasn't sarcasm I did see that bowl prediction I'll look for the link. The Tebow picture was a little over the top though. The kid has worked his butt off for years allow him some disapointment.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 02:23:15 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #211 on: December 06, 2009, 02:16:15 PM »
Ok here is my Case for the PAC-10.

The SEC is at the moment a bunch of cupcakes+Alabama, Florida, and LSU.  That is suomething a strong recruiting class will change.  Look at the Pac10 though.  Stanford cause i don't think my ex-team (in once upon 6 years ago land) Toby Gerhart will leave.  IF he does, Andrew Luck is still very good.  USC is still decent.  They will still beat the best of the Big Suck conference.  UCLA is getting better.  Arizona is going to get worse, but on the flip side Airzona State is going to get Better.  Now the whole of this argument is going to depend on 1 single Player.  Jake Locker at Washington.  If he returns then Washington is going to be good.  I think washington could maybe contend for the PAC10 title next year.  If not, washington will remain stagnate.  Im not going to talk about the teams in oregon cause they aren't going anywhere and wont be for atleast 2 years.

bye lol. :bolt:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 02:18:23 PM by B17Skull12 »
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Pannono

• Silver Member
« Reply #212 on: December 06, 2009, 02:18:33 PM »
Case Keenum deserves the Heisman the most, but he will never get it because his team has 3 losses and is in the C-USA. I thought the Heisman was awarded to the best player in college football, not the best player on a winning BCS-conference team.
YEAR     CMP      ATT     YDS       CMP%      YPA       LNG     TD     INT SACK    RAT
2009      468      659      5449        71.0        8.27      58       43     9     16     159.28

Not bad if you ask me.
Pannono
Proud Member of Pigs On The Wing
8 Player H2H: 2006-07
MA Tours: 87, 97-113, 143-144, 160-Present
FSO: JG54

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #213 on: December 06, 2009, 02:19:42 PM »
A popular topic of discussion among Pac-10 fans, among college football fans — is how their conference is doing against other conferences.

How about this: The Pac-10 is 11-8 against the SEC this decade.

(You know which team Pac-10 fans can thank? UCLA. That’s who. The gutty little Bruins swept home-and-home series this decade against the big, bad boys from Alabama and Tennessee.)

Anyway, this is relevant this week because Arizona State plays at No. 21 Georgia on Saturday, the final chance of the decade to see how the Pac-10 and the SEC compare.

Let’s look closer at that 11-8 record. By itself, that record doesn’t mean much.

I mean, if the Pac-10 had been favored by two touchdowns in every game, that would be a horrible record. So, let’s look at the point spreads.

The guys who set the betting lines try to get equal action on each side of the line and probably have been factoring in fans’ biases — SEC good, Pac-10 bad — when coming up with a point spread.

The Pac-10 has responded with a 12-6-1 record against the spread vs. the SEC, further fueling the notion that the SEC is overvalued and the Pac-10 underrated.

Furthermore …

*The Pac-10 has been favored to win only seven of the 19 matchups. It exceeded expectations by winning 11.

*Three times, the Pac-10 pulled off an upset when being an underdog of at least a touchdown — UCLA over Alabama in 2000, and UCLA over Tennessee in each of the past two seasons.

*On the flip side, the Pac-10 has been favored by at least a touchdown four times — and never faltered, winning each game.

This is not to say that the Pac-10 is a better football conference than the SEC. The SEC has more tradition, bigger stadiums, crazier fans, pays its coaches more — heck, it probably even pays its players more — and turns out the highest rate of NFL draftees.

But the head-to-head record shows the Pac-10 has nothing to apologize for, and adds to the belief that the league is unfairly underrated.

Pac-10 vs. SEC
Year Matchup Result Line
2000 No. 3 Alabama at UCLA UCLA, 35-24 Alabama -7
2001 No. 17 UCLA at No. 25 Alabama UCLA, 20-17 Alabama -2
2002 Auburn at No. 19 USC USC, 24-17 USC -7
2002 Mississippi State at No. 15 Oregon Oregon, 36-13 Oregon -13
2003 No. 13 LSU at Arizona LSU, 59-13 LSU -11
2003 No. 8 USC at No. 6 Auburn USC, 23-0 Auburn -3
2003 Oregon at Mississippi State Oregon, 42-34 Oregon -3
2004 Oregon State at No. 4 LSU LSU, 22-21 (OT) LSU -18
2005 No. 5 LSU at No. 15 Arizona State LSU, 35-31 ASU -1
2005 Arkansas at No. 1 USC USC, 70-17 USC -30
2006 Arizona at No. 8 LSU LSU, 45-3 LSU -15
2006 No. 9 Cal at No. 23 Tennessee Tennessee, 35-18 Cal -2
2006 No. 6 USC at Arkansas USC, 50-14 USC -7
2006 Washington St. at No. 4 Auburn Auburn, 40-14 Auburn -14
2007 No. 15 Tennessee at No. 12 Cal Cal, 45-31 Cal -6
2008 No. 18 Tennessee at UCLA UCLA, 27-24 (OT) Tennessee -7.5
2008 No. 3 Georgia at Arizona State Georgia, 27-10 Georgia -7
2009 No. 11 LSU at Washington LSU, 31-23 LSU -17.5
2009 UCLA at Tennessee UCLA, 19-15 Tennessee -8

But what about the college football conference bowl record for the just passed 2008 - 2009 bowl season? Here it is:
Pac-10: 5-0

SEC: 6-2

Big 12: 4-3

Big East: 4-2

ACC: 2-6

Big Ten: 1-6

WAC: 1-4

Mountain West: 3-2

Sun Belt: 1-1

How about all-time head to head SEC vs Other Conferences in bowl games?

Here you go (historical affiliation):

SEC Wins vs. SEC Losses vs. Ties SEC Win %
ACC           31     13              0 .705
Big Ten      34      21              0 .618
Big 12        15       9              0 .625
Southwest  32      26             3 .549
Pac-10        7       7              1 .500
Big East       6       6              0 .500
Big 8           13    19              1 .409
WAC             5      3              0 .625

So, head-to-head, all-time Conference vs Conference CFB bowl games -- the SEC beats every conference but three. And, two of those (Pac-10 and Big East) the SEC Ties. The only conference the SEC has lost more bowl games than one against is the Big-8 which doesn't exist any more.

How about SEC vs Other Conferences in bowl match-ups -- using current conference affiliation?

Here you go:

SEC     Wins vs. SEC Losses vs. Ties SEC Win %
 ACC       43           27               2      .611
 Big Ten   38          26                0     .594
 Big 12     41          48                3     .462
 Pac-10     9           8                 2     .526
 Big East    6          12                1     .342
 WAC        1            0                0    1.000

Well, SEC haters -- you finally have some stats to back you up. Based on current conference affiliation, the Big 12 and Big East both beat the SEC in all-time head to head bowl game match-ups. interesting when you do look into the whole who's conference is better than who's, stats dont lie

UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #214 on: December 06, 2009, 02:20:43 PM »

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #215 on: December 06, 2009, 02:23:13 PM »
. I thought the Heisman was awarded to the best player in college football,

Then it should go to Tebow because he is one of the best players of all time(even though I don't like him as a fan). Ingram put up some great numbers this year. More less in the SEC. This year SEC had the best talent. Next year it maybe the B12 Pac10 or ACC. But this year it has to be the SEC.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #216 on: December 06, 2009, 02:24:33 PM »

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #217 on: December 06, 2009, 02:25:59 PM »
You said Iowa state not Iowa  :D

So I did. My bad. :lol

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #218 on: December 06, 2009, 02:27:45 PM »
West Virginia vs Florida State in the Gator Bowl. Hate the way Bobby Bowden will go but it will be good that it will be against WVU.

Offline Pannono

• Silver Member
« Reply #219 on: December 06, 2009, 02:30:09 PM »
Texas was so lucky that there was a second left lol
Pannono

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #220 on: December 06, 2009, 02:33:46 PM »

The SEC is at the moment a bunch of cupcakes+Alabama, Florida, and LSU.  That is suomething a strong recruiting class will change.  Look at the Pac10 though.  Stanford cause i don't think my ex-team (in once upon 6 years ago land) Toby Gerhart will leave.  IF he does, Andrew Luck is still very good.  USC is still decent.  They will still beat the best of the Big Suck conference.  UCLA is getting better.  Arizona is going to get worse, but on the flip side Airzona State is going to get Better.  Now the whole of this argument is going to depend on 1 single Player.  Jake Locker at Washington.  If he returns then Washington is going to be good.  I think washington could maybe contend for the PAC10 title next year.  If not, washington will remain stagnate.  Im not going to talk about the teams in oregon cause they aren't going anywhere and wont be for atleast 2 years.

you left the Pac10 winners out Oregon, James rushed for more freshman yards in the schools history, he will return, along masoli, oregon is only losing 8 seniors, there going to be someone to deal with come next season
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #221 on: December 06, 2009, 02:39:31 PM »

SEC
Alabama
Florida
LSU
Ole Miss
Tennessee (Lane Kiffin is starting to get prime players back in tennessee) Close loss to Florida and should've beat Bama
Kentucky(every know and then will have talent)
South Carolina tough D always a threat
Georgia They will be back
Auburn always plays teams tough
Arkansas Ryan Mallet is Better than Andrew Luck
vandy had a decent years

and you say the SEC is a bunch of cupcakes :huh

Offline Pannono

• Silver Member
« Reply #222 on: December 06, 2009, 02:44:54 PM »
USC - Will buy some new recruits
Oregon - Masoli, James are back
Oregon State - Jaquizz and James Rodgers are back
Arizona - Mostly everyone is returning
Arizona State - Defense will be back, but a new Offensive Coordinator a new QB will make it interesting
California - I don't know about them
UCLA - Maybe 7-5 with mostly everyone returning
Stanford - Back to mediocrity
Washington - All depends on Locker. If he returns, 8-4. If he leaves, 2-10
Washington State - Will suck no matter what

What pains me the most for this season is how ASU went 4-8. Here are the basic summaries of 6 losses.
Georgia: L 20-17. Missed FG
Oregon State: L 28-17. Defense held OSU to 7 points in 2nd half.
California: L 23-21. Defense held Cal to 6 points in 2nd half. Cal wins on a FG with 21 secs left
USC: L 14-9. Offense outscored USC 9-7. Danny Sullivan throws a pick-six which turns out to be the difference in the game.
UCLA: L 23-13. Offense outscored UCLA 13-9. 2 defensive TD's by UCLA are the difference in the game.
Arizona: L 20-17. A muffed punt sets up the game winning field goal by Arizona.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 02:52:22 PM by Pannono »
Pannono

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #223 on: December 06, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
USC - Will buy some new recruits
Oregon - Masoli, James are back
Oregon State - Jaquizz and James Rodgers are back
Arizona - Mostly everyone is returning
Arizona State - Defense will be back, but a new Offensive Coordinator a new QB will make it interesting
California - I don't know about them
UCLA - Maybe 7-5 with mostly everyone returning
Stanford - Back to mediocrity
Washington - All depends on Locker. If he returns, 8-4. If he leaves, 2-10
Washington State - Will suck no matter what
. This year SEC had the best talent. Next year it maybe the B12 Pac10 or ACC. But this year it has to be the SEC.

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #224 on: December 06, 2009, 03:27:22 PM »
No doubt he had a bad game, I didn't realize the trophy was awarded for one game. I'm not telling you anything about the clock and his last throw. I guess you know for a fact he didn't know about the time on the clock.Since you seem to dislike anything Big 12 I'll rely on your expert opinion.  :rolleyes: Nebraska may have had three losses but I'd take their defense over anybody in the country, that's an outstanding group of young men they have.

No Fuds that wasn't sarcasm I did see that bowl prediction I'll look for the link. The Tebow picture was a little over the top though. The kid has worked his butt off for years allow him some disapointment.

You do understand that when the Heisman race is considered close, the final game of the season is very meaningful.  If any of the voters were on the fence, Colts performance had to hurt his chances.

I agree the Neb D is good. (LSU misses Bo Pelini  :frown:)  Best in country?  Maybe.  Throwing 3 picks against them is a bad game no matter how good they are.  Isn't that a good reason to think Colt may have lost some voters?

Florida has a good D too.  Isn't the fact that Ingram had a great game a good reason to suspect that might propel him to win the award?

Your comment about my expert opinion is kinda funny. I don't know why you try to paint me to be a know it all. I love football and enjoy debating it.  The BCS system promotes that.  Sorry my take on Colt, Texas, and the Big12 doesn't agree w/ yours.  Maybe if your overrated, overhyped Heisman winners didn't keep looking average while losing to the SEC in National championship games I'd have a different opinion of the Big12 and it's amazing offenses.