Author Topic: I need to learn more ACM'S  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
Re: I need to learn more ACM'S
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 03:41:17 PM »
Maybe as a starting point a list.

Immelman
Split S
Rope
Lead, Lag and Pure pursuit
Hammerhead (Which I hardly DO)
Basic bnz
Boom and Zoom tactic
Rolling Scissors (dont do that one either)
Barrel Roll (not so good on this either)
Overshoot and stall fight
Dive and Extend (or run)
Climbing in a spiral for position (if your plane out climbs theirs)
Turning in the horrizontal and vertical.

Any more?

Displacement rolls,
High/Low yo-yos, &
slice-back

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 07:03:40 AM »

Displacement rolls,
High/Low yo-yos, &
slice-back

Thanks Ardy. Had a training session with Bruv (Was Great) and I have one with Spatula on Sunday.

DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline sntslilhlpr6601

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 07:11:06 AM »
I don't think they were written with entertainment value being a high concern.  I know I failed to understand much of what was presented my first time through, or how to apply it, because I didn't have enough experience yet.  My second time through, the light-bulb flickered to life.

Same exact thing happened to me and I'm sure to many others(talking about the Shaw book). You really have to experience some of the things he talks about and get a feel for it before it starts making sense on paper. Then all of sudden it becomes fun to read because everything just starts clicking.

You probably already know all the ACM's.  There aren't that many, and all the fighters use the same ones.  They just use them slightly different, depending on the exact situation.

Like teaching someone to dance, you can show them how to move thier arms, legs, torso, and head only so many ways.  It's up to the dancer to string the moves together to accomplish the end result.  An immelman by itself doesn't do much, nor does a Split-S.  But done correctly, in the proper seguence, speed, and timing for the job-at-hand, they can work wonders.

And that's why they call it an "art".  :aok

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 07:36:33 AM »
Same exact thing happened to me and I'm sure to many others(talking about the Shaw book). You really have to experience some of the things he talks about and get a feel for it before it starts making sense on paper. Then all of sudden it becomes fun to read because everything just starts clicking.

And that's why they call it an "art".  :aok

Interesting

I am away hill walking in a few weeks with no computer so I will take shaw and have another go with it.
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 04:16:06 PM »
like others have said there is only so much ACM, that means "Air Combat Maneuvers"   a "rope" is not ACM, you use ACM to "rope" someone.

think of a duel as a dance, where your objective is to get behind your partner, you need to

judge your nme's E-state correctly, because if you cant do this The "ACM" that you use to out Maneuver your opponent will be wrong or mistimed giving them the kill shot.

initial  Merge,is very crucial, this is where you will ether kill or be killed, learn to merge.

if you ever see me on, same name ingame, I would not mind at all going to TA and working on merging techniques.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 03:20:06 AM »
like others have said there is only so much ACM, that means "Air Combat Maneuvers"   a "rope" is not ACM, you use ACM to "rope" someone.

think of a duel as a dance, where your objective is to get behind your partner, you need to

judge your nme's E-state correctly, because if you cant do this The "ACM" that you use to out Maneuver your opponent will be wrong or mistimed giving them the kill shot.

initial  Merge,is very crucial, this is where you will ether kill or be killed, learn to merge.

if you ever see me on, same name ingame, I would not mind at all going to TA and working on merging techniques.

DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 01:47:46 AM »
...you forgot British fighter pilot chit.

when all else fails  improvise...

:aok

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan properly."
Nick Lapos, chief R&D pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft

"To go up, pull the stick. To go down, pull the stick back harder..."

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 09:04:55 AM »
ACM is a little bit like dancing.

Doon't you feel like dancinggg...

Salsa anyone? ;)
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 09:13:13 AM »
ACM is a little bit like dancing.

Doon't you feel like dancinggg...

Salsa anyone? ;)

Dance of death :devil

Anyway I have 2 new moves now.

Barrel roll reverse and Zoom and rope showing a bit of tail now and again to lure them in :x
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 12:56:08 PM »
Basically I do Immelman, Rope, Bnz or boom and Zoom, Turn in vertical and horrizontal, overshhot type tactics and follow on, lead and lag pursuit all the basic stuff I think but nothing special.

What else is there???   

Like others have said there's only a limited number of ACM's and it sounds like you know and understand most of them.

The "art" is in the combinations of ACMs and the use of throttle, rudder and flaps at the appropriate times to achive the desired results.  This is where film study can help.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 01:15:58 PM »
Like others have said there's only a limited number of ACM's and it sounds like you know and understand most of them.

The "art" is in the combinations of ACMs and the use of throttle, rudder and flaps at the appropriate times to achive the desired results.  This is where film study can help.

May I add, brains to that list?  :D

Mutley
"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan properly."
Nick Lapos, chief R&D pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft

"To go up, pull the stick. To go down, pull the stick back harder..."

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 04:02:01 AM »
May I add, brains to that list?  :D

Mutley

Only if you have some to spare :D
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 06:21:19 AM »

qft. shaws book is very ... dense. first time I gave it a skim through and just picked out some bits I recognised in the ACM sections (eg. pursuit modes, lag displacement roll) and read the more general stuff on wing tactics etc. without trying to apply it directly, just letting it sink in. later I read it cover to cover (apart from the missile stuff) and started trying to apply it (key word here is trying ;)).

edit: the single most useful thing in there for me was the idea of combat spread :aok
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 06:23:25 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli