Author Topic: Need a good joystick with built in rudder please help  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Need a good joystick with built in rudder please help
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 05:30:13 PM »
Whoa, let me get this straight.

You're using an RC box for your flying? It makes a joystick look silly?

I've got an old Kraft 4-channel sitting around. It's totally obsolete - roughly 30 y.o., but was quality when new. Could I adapt this over to my twisted purpose?

No I use a full CH setup. However in my custom P51 pit that I am still working on I setup original controls through cable linkages to a transmitter case and with that experience I know it can be very handy for anyone as a controller. The transmitter must be useable as a 'buddy-box' or trainer system in order for the cable to connect properly but if your Kraft radio has the capability and you can find the cord to match then your good to go. The precision exceeds CH even and thats saying something!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline usvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 10:52:20 PM »
"Come with me and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." -Unteroffizer/Feldwebel Rolf Steiner

~POTW-Second Wing~
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/index.php

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 04:38:38 AM »
The best stick I've ever used that had a twist rudder was the Microsoft Sidewinder FF 2.  I prefered pedals - and in fact, modified mine to drive the sticks rudders via my Simpeds (since the sim I was flying at the time only supported a single controller) - but the overall quality was very very good until the hat switch mechanism wore out from use (which happened eventually to all 3 of my MS sticks).

They are no longer being produced, but you can still get them new and used from ebay and amazon at times. 

http://www.gamesfirst.com/peripherals/MS_Force_Feedback_2/ff2.htm

All IMHO, of course - and good luck with the sim.

<S>

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Viper0070

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 05:13:04 AM »
Wow....i just got up 6am and can't believe how many replys there is to my post..i want to Thank all of you for taking the time to try and help me with my problem.......i am so happy to be here with such a great bunch of guys..all of you have made my day.....and Thank you so much for your Help......have a great day......Viper

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 06:22:54 AM »
Hey there Viper, im an early riser myself  :D

I know that the X52 gave you a " bad taste in your mouth" by quitting on you so fast. Personally ive had one for 3 years and not a problem ( knock on wood ) So you may want to give the X52pro a try.

Also, i have a Saitek ST290 ( my back up stick ) that i would be glad to send you if you need a stick to get you through until you find a new one. Just PM me your address and ill put it in the mail

<S>

Mbailey
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Viper0070

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 07:35:57 AM »
Mbailey I want to thank you so very much for your offer to let me use your back up stick..its people like you that makes the difference in other peoples life's.  i really like the feel of my short lived x52 pro lol.....i since have tried this other stick and wow what a pile of junk it is..my airplane flys great in a stright line lol...but thats as far as it goes hehe....you would have to fly in front of me and please don't move so i might be able to get a shot in lol hehe...that stick is so bad it gave me head pains from trying to fly with it.....have you had any spring problems with your x52 pro?  i was  on the x52 pro fourm and guys are talking about the spring binding? i didn't have mine long enough to have that problem lol. i might do what you said.  buy another x52 pro and give it one more try.  Thank you again for your kind offer....have a great day..Viper

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 07:56:57 AM »
No I use a full CH setup. However in my custom P51 pit that I am still working on I setup original controls through cable linkages to a transmitter case and with that experience I know it can be very handy for anyone as a controller. The transmitter must be useable as a 'buddy-box' or trainer system in order for the cable to connect properly but if your Kraft radio has the capability and you can find the cord to match then your good to go. The precision exceeds CH even and thats saying something!

I think I see. It sounds like you've mechanically linked a set of controls to your RC transmitter, correct?
I'm assuming you did this in the Pony Pit (it sounds like a really unsavory place but is, in reality, probably no worse than the F-Dub F-Hole on which I'm working) because you wanted something like realistic travel and feel at hand and that your human/control interface is actually an amplified (mechanically) version of your transmitter. Do I read you right?

As for precision, I see no diff in the range of counts from the analog slider/brakes on my CH propedals and to any analog axis of my Saitek X52. Is there some range difference in counts of which I'm unaware?It seems like +/- 65k is something like range, but I'm not at my home Mac right now checking it.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 10:25:02 AM »
Welcome to the game!  This is what I've been using for the last few months....

http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=153&PlatformID=5

Its worked flawlessly....

<S>

Grind

i have had CH gear and X52 gear Saitek gear but i recently bought this joystick and i have to say its a whole lot better then the x52 or saitek or logitech however it does not beat the CH gear however in your case it does Salute and welcome to Aces High.

i would strongly sugest going with the joystick mentioned in his post
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 11:35:21 AM »
Godzilla:

Given the age of your transmitter you have no doubt built R/C planes (these days its all ARF) and you know how to build bellcrank systems in order to increase/decrease throw distances. Instead of cables and pulleys to control surfaces I have cables and bellcranks to the transmitter all of which have ball-link and track attachments to the gymbals. Yes Im using full scale cockpit controls exactly like a P-51 (original parts where possible).

The precision does not come from range of motion but instead from the accuracy of the potentiometers. Saitek pots are junk.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 12:05:06 PM »
Godzilla:

Given the age of your transmitter you have no doubt built R/C planes (these days its all ARF) and you know how to build bellcrank systems in order to increase/decrease throw distances. Instead of cables and pulleys to control surfaces I have cables and bellcranks to the transmitter all of which have ball-link and track attachments to the gymbals. Yes Im using full scale cockpit controls exactly like a P-51 (original parts where possible).

The precision does not come from range of motion but instead from the accuracy of the potentiometers. Saitek pots are junk.

Two things:

1. the Pony Pit is a more ambitious build than the F-Dub F-Hole and is otherwise as surmised, apparently (kudos, btw)
2. As for the pots, I see... same range of counts/resolution but truer count readings... - i.e., I'd expect a better pot to have more accurate/repeatable count readings at a given position. Your assertion makes sense if I view it this way.  Saitek pots sometimes (as with my recent return) actually ARE junk.

Yes, I'll look at this. I'm not sure about the buddy box capability of the Kraft. I'm an aero engineer, originally, before poision ing the well with a Ford-sponsored MBA so bellcranks and cable are something like my first girlfriend, if you follow.

Anyway, I should offer you, Vudak, Steve, Agent360 (even crusty old Karnak) and any other of my Aces High friends (not strangers) Ford/L-M/Volvo Friends and Family discounts, if you're ever in the market for such a vehicle. This is a quality contingent of people here at AHII (imj). I'll put my home email on my profile, should you ever choose to set foot into one of our showrooms. It's just one of the ways I try to help out - being from corporate and all.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 02:48:45 PM »
I have to think you got a bad stick.  Not that Saitek is making GREAT stuff but......  When my Cougar's pots got all screwed up, I bought an x52 Pro as a temp...... This was 18 months ago.  No "real" issues with the x52.  So much so in fact that I still havent gotten on the wait list for Cougar replacement parts.

I bought a New Saitek X52 Pro for this Aces High 2 and it only lasted me 10 minutes before the X52 joy stick completely stopped working.  I sent it back to get my money back from the place I bought it from. 

Dare I say, try another?
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 05:02:02 PM »
I have the x52 also no major problems either.  as much as I abuse it, it wont fail me.  I also have the logitec extreme 3d pro  which it still works after 3 years.  Havent used it much in over a year now, but never had problems with it.  one thing about the 3d pro is that it never lasted me more than 1 1/2 years, but that is mainly due to the amount of abuse it gets from me.  they both have a twist handle but the 3d pro only costs 1/2 as much.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Viper0070

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 08:17:56 AM »
Good Morning Everyone....I would like to Thank All of You that have posted here trying to help me with my problem.  All of you are Great...i ordered the Thrustmaster T.16000m joy stick.....it will be here in the middle of next week....i will see how it works and if it helps me have a little fun in Aces High.  I wish i had a little more time on my X52 Pro before it died lol....if this new Thrustmaster T.16000m joy stick don't work out for some reasion, then before i give up on all this,   i will buy another X52 Pro and try one more time....all of you have been Great and again Thanks for being here for me and for all your help.......Take Care and Have a Great Weekend....Viper

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2009, 04:04:17 AM »
someone else tried the T.16000M ? I like the way it has no contacts cause eventually even my CH fighterstick will wear out !
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2009, 04:06:59 AM »
its only 37 euros, I'm gonna order one in the next days just to try it out.
now posting as SirNuke