Author Topic: Gamepad for use by the RIGHT hand... any suggestions?  (Read 9343 times)

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
Gamepad for use by the RIGHT hand... any suggestions?
« on: September 14, 2009, 10:58:34 AM »
Ok... I am left handed, so I use the joystick in my left hand, not my right.  I have a Saitek AV8R-01 joystick, which is great for that, since it works well for both right and left handed people.  But, all of the gamepads I have found are set up to be used by your LEFT hand... which does me no good.  I have most of my keys mapped to the joystick buttons, but there are still several that I have to use the keyboard for.  I would really like to find a gamepad with a symmetrical layout that I can use with my right hand.

Anyone know of anything?

***G3-MF***

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Gamepad for use by the RIGHT hand... any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 03:52:14 PM »
I am a lefty but I just taught myself to use the joystick righty, and throttle/n52te gamepad left hand.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 04:07:29 PM »
I have considered that... but would rather find an hardware solution for the matter  :D

***G3-MF***

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 04:13:32 PM »
My buddy was in the same predicament and uses the Fang Gamepad by Ideazon(?) or something like that.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 04:35:26 PM »
If money if no object...then this. That is, if I understand what you mean by "gamepad."
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 04:40:24 PM »
If money if no object...then this. That is, if I understand what you mean by "gamepad."
That looks pretty cool.

AKP...no worries. when I got my St290 (first stick) I didn't even think about the lefty part of my problem...just plugged in my joystick and ran with it. Probably would be harder to switch now.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 06:08:04 PM »
AKP,I know this might sound silly,but do a search for disability input devices,there's so much stuff out there I cant begin to tell you... There's a "thing" called frogpad and it's a progamable input device for kids with disabilities. I'm not suggesting thats the answer but if you check into it you'll soon find something to fit your needs!

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline ColTomb

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 07:45:05 PM »
I use a cheap 17 key USB keypad that i have mapped to function's in AH.
I never touch the keyboard except to type. If you choose this route,
Get the standard 17 key "extra keys will be useless" and choose one that
does not have external USB ports. All this from experience.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 07:52:47 PM »
Here is a link to CH's MFP... custom setups are a breeze with this.  http://www.chproducts.com/retail/mfp.html

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 08:11:31 PM »
Here is a link to CH's MFP... custom setups are a breeze with this.  http://www.chproducts.com/retail/mfp.html

maybe its just me but i dont see the since on spending 200 bucks for a simple game pad

if you dont want that many buttons on the game pad its just like a key board pop off the ones you dont want. what i did is lay my hand on it and feel where my fingers naturly lay on it and pop the rest off (unless needed for programing keys to) and i only spent 30 bucks and i have had mine for 2 years no problems out of it (just got to learn how to keep coffee off of it)
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 09:46:37 PM »
Wow!  Thanks everyone.  I am going to look into some of those.  They look like they will do the job.  I was looking at some others like those too, but the prices on them get kinda up there.  So, in the meantime, this is what I did... Hehe...

I had an old Logitech Attack3 Joystick that I stopped using when I got my Saitek (the Logitech didnt have a twisty stick).  So... I took it apart, unplugged the stick assembly and took it out... leaving just the base with the buttons and the throttle wheel.  It came apart pretty easily, and the cables for the stick portion just unplugged from the main circuit board... so I can always put it back together.  Anyway, I plugged it in, remapped the throttle wheel on the new "Rig-Pad" to the zoom in and out function, mapped the other buttons to what I wanted, and here ya go:

I covered the hole from where the stick was with an old plastic lid before I put it back together, so nothing is exposed on the inside.  My hand fits right over the whole base, and my fingers can reach all the buttons or the new zoom wheel now.  I am still gonna look around for a true gamepad, but this just took care of 90% of my need for the keyboard.... and I didnt spend a dime.

Thanks again all. 

***G3-MF***

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 10:16:21 PM »
That's what I call improvising...

Nice job!
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 10:40:20 PM »
AKP,

I did a similar thing with an old stick,but I cut the top half of the stick off and mounted it to the base after I took the gimbal system out.This left the "handle" immovable but I still had the  buttons,hatswitch and trigger usable.The result was 12 buttons a 6way hat and the analog throttle all ready to be programed to any function I need.

:salute

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 06:50:40 AM »
Wow, for that price its pretty tempting Killz!  <S>

I imagine you could do all kinds of funky stuff in AH with that.

AKP i think this is what your looking for

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823146019&cm_re=game_pad-_-23-146-019-_-Product $29.99

and here it is in white

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823146020&cm_re=game_pad-_-23-146-020-_-Product $33.99