Author Topic: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.  (Read 53767 times)

Offline rip033

• Zinc Member
Re: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.
« Reply #210 on: September 25, 2009, 10:08:59 PM »
The 38 is NOT an easy plane to learn. I been flying it the past couple tours and still haven't gotten a handle on it.   :salute
JaCkRiPr

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2009, 10:25:29 PM »
Because of flap and throttle management needs to be good in a 38, I respectfully disagree with Karnak. Compared to the spits, niki and such rides, the 38 is quite "hands on".

Karnak is right that it's a very capable plane  though.  It's certainly not the dog some profess it to be:  Good turn under flaps, good authority when fast or slow, fantastic in the vert, good views, wonderful gun package. He's right in that it has no vices, beyond it's large profile from above/below. This is somewhat compensated for by its very slim profile at dead 6. It outclasses many planes in the MA, and most planes with a driver who is adept at throttle/flap management.

It does tend to attract more than it's share of attnetion in the MA though.  This isn't a vice per se and just a personal observation but it seems so. I'd consider this a disadvantage.

There are some real flat out killers in the 38, too. Look at some of the various SAPP guys... then Lazer and Del. Those two are among the best at the craft of killing bad guys in the MA.  AKAK has shown that a 38 with alt is about unkillable 1v1. He gets bored, blows his E to kill a couple of guys,  and only then can he be taken down.

to the guy who said 109's out turn a 38... well that's just not entirely true. Any 38 over 250  or so is going to rather easily out turn and of the 109's.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #212 on: September 25, 2009, 10:29:24 PM »

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline kroker

• Zinc Member
« Reply #213 on: September 25, 2009, 10:38:17 PM »
Regarding the original topic,

Long ago Frenchy held a 1 month K/D competition for the P-47D-25. Here's the results:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,93933.0.html

Two guys had 100+ K/D

Overall K/D for the D-25 in that tour (42) was 1.87, the highest for any unperked plane. I'm assuming the C-hog and Ta152 were both perked at the time, cant really remember though. Anyway it shows what's possible.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #214 on: September 25, 2009, 10:39:57 PM »
The 38 is NOT an easy plane to learn. I been flying it the past couple tours and still haven't gotten a handle on it.   :salute
Next to the spitfire the P38 is by FAR the easiest plane to learn quickly and do well in.  It has its little quirks but it is, overall, the best fighter in AH.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #215 on: September 25, 2009, 10:58:05 PM »

to the guy who said 109's out turn a 38... well that's just not entirely true. Any 38 over 250  or so is going to rather easily out turn and of the 109's.

This statement does not make any sense, for a number of reasons:

The 109s do not experience begin experiencing aileron and elevator problems until well past 250mph IAS. The 109 has enough elevator authority to pull blackout Gs until you get very near 400mph. 250mph is getting close to the corner speed of both aircraft...much faster and the limiting factor will be the pilot's G endurance...so it does not make sense to speak of one airplane "out-turning" the other in this high-speed range. The range where the P-38 can deploy flaps and the 109 can not yet is *below* ~250mph IAS down to ~170...that would seem to be the "sweet spot" for turning with a 109 in a P-38 if there is one.

Did a quick test, and the instantaneous turn of a 109K4 from ~250mph IAS with full fuel was perceptibly sharper than that of a 38L with 75%. The G2's was much sharper, easily pulling "tunnel" Gs at that airspeed. So I do not know what this supposed turning superiority above 250mph IAS can refer to, unless it is perhaps some putative ability to decelerate down to corner speed when starting at speeds well above corner.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 10:59:43 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #216 on: September 25, 2009, 11:10:47 PM »
This statement does not make any sense, for a number of reasons:

The 109s do not experience begin experiencing aileron and elevator problems until well past 250mph IAS. The 109 has enough elevator authority to pull blackout Gs until you get very near 400mph. 250mph is getting close to the corner speed of both aircraft...much faster and the limiting factor will be the pilot's G endurance...so it does not make sense to speak of one airplane "out-turning" the other in this high-speed range. The range where the P-38 can deploy flaps and the 109 can not yet is *below* ~250mph IAS down to ~170...that would seem to be the "sweet spot" for turning with a 109 in a P-38 if there is one.

Did a quick test, and the instantaneous turn of a 109K4 from ~250mph IAS with full fuel was perceptibly sharper than that of a 38L with 75%. The G2's was much sharper, easily pulling "tunnel" Gs at that airspeed. So I do not know what this supposed turning superiority above 250mph IAS can refer to, unless it is perhaps some putative ability to decelerate down to corner speed when starting at speeds well above corner.

You argue for argument's sake, it's your MO. Get in a 109, I'll get in a 38.  If we agree to stay over 250 or so, I'll smoke you every time, I don't care what 109 you're in. Other than DA arrangements, I have nothing more to say on the matter to you.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 11:14:47 PM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #217 on: September 25, 2009, 11:11:38 PM »
In a spit ignore them.

Once the 38 gets flustered and tired of hanging around he will make a mistake.

Then get him to turn and drop his E, the rest is easy.

As one who trolls for Spits down low, I try and appear flustered to get them to turn fight my 38G low and slow.  Always good fun :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #218 on: September 25, 2009, 11:14:52 PM »
You know in the end, this is all Corky's fault. He hasn't been trashing as many 38's so often. :P
Strokes

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #219 on: September 25, 2009, 11:15:02 PM »
The P38 is junk and every kill it gets is a proxie!
Lighten up Francis

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #220 on: September 25, 2009, 11:15:20 PM »
Next to the spitfire the P38 is by FAR the easiest plane to learn quickly and do well in.  It has its little quirks but it is, overall, the best fighter in AH.
Pending on how you fly it; I would place the 190, f4u, fm2, hurrIIc, n1k, a6m, typhoon, P51, la7, la5, and spitfire all as easier to learn. If you fly it as a BnZ machine then go ahead and throw it into that mix along with the P47, Ki-84, mossie, 109, 152 and 205 (that basically covers the LW birds).
As for using it to it's fullest potential, it is among the more difficult planes to learn IMO.

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #221 on: September 25, 2009, 11:55:45 PM »
P38+flaps= PWN
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #222 on: September 26, 2009, 01:49:26 AM »
I am not one of the better sticks in the 38, most nights I am lucky enough to hit something once in a while. Well, stuff besides trees and the ground in general, that is.

I was hoping that many of the people spreading the erroneous information would attend my P38 clinic, I was even hoping for some 109 sticks to come and see how best to fight the P38.

Maybe I should hold a repeat of the first clinic before I hold the second one. Anyone interested?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 01:52:04 AM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #223 on: September 26, 2009, 01:52:40 AM »
I am not one of the better sticks in the 38, most nights I am lucky enough to hit something once in a while. Well, stuff besides trees and the ground in general, that is.

I was hoping that many of the people spreading the erroneous information would attend my P38 clinic, I was even hoping for some 109 sticks to come and see how best to fight the P38.

Maybe I should hold a repeat of the first clinic before I hold the second one. Anyone interested?

I am.   But I'd rather do 1 vs 1 time with you. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #224 on: September 26, 2009, 02:00:12 AM »
I have a solution to the 38's stall/rudder over manuever.....DONT FRAKKING CLIMB WITH IT!!! :aok

EDIT:(unless you have a MASSIVE E advantage that u gotta get rid of)
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes